About a modded PS2.....

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nei First

About a modded PS2.....

Post by Nei First »

I wanna start playing import PS2 games.

Are there any problems or side effects with a modded PS2 (New model) that I should know about?

Also are the old model PS2's better for modding than the new ones, or does it not make a difference?
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Moved to Hardware.
system11

Post by system11 »

Either is a bitch to mod. If you can afford it, it's worth just getting a second hand JP unit instead.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

Some things you should be aware of:

- The new PSTwo and the later PS2 models with built in IR have weaker lasers. The laser can die if you extensively play scratched discs or backups.
- Make sure the modchip is no-swap/autoboot
- Ejecting/powering on with the remote, will not work or cause trouble with most modified PS2's

If you modify a PAL console:
- A few NTSC PS2 games will not work (they run in wrong resolution and speed), because the modchips for some reason will not change to correct region. The not working ones I have found are Strikers 1945 1&2, Midways Arcade Treasures..
- Make sure the modchip is capable of automatically switching to 60hz in Playstation 1 games

If you modify a NTSC console:
- If you intend to play PAL games, make sure that the modchip will be capable of that. There is a lot of difference between how the different modchips handle this, some just cut off the screen, some change to 50hz etc..

In other words there is really no big problems with modified PS2's, you pretty much have nothing to loose except your warranty :).

EDIT: Oh and unless you have professional soldering skills, don't even consider doing the modding yourself.
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

Thanx for clearing that up with me Thunder force, for a minute there I thought I had already made some enemies. :wink:

Thanx for the replies guys!

Visuatrox, I thought I heard something about the PS2 laser being weak.
I'm more hoping to play jap games and some copies, which is why I need a modded PS2, and I no way plan to mod it myself. :wink:

I didn't know there were alot of different chips, this makes it harder to choose then.
What do you mean by swap majic/autoboot?

Also, I play Jap/copied games on my DC alot, and so far there's no sign of any problems yet, do you know if the PS2 suffers alot more than the DC?
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

Well some really cheap/old modchips needed a "swaptrick", but that should no longer be a problem (as most of those modchips are now extinct).

About autobooting, many modchips require you to press a button combination (manually choosing if you are booting a PS2 or PSX game, if you select wrong the game will not boot). The newest modchips "autoboot"/automatically select PS1 or PS2 mode. Not a big deal really, but could be something to consider if you want maximum conveniance.

Basically all consoles lasers suffer from running scratched discs or cd-r's. But the PSTwo (and later PS2 models) lasers are extra sensitive and make suicide if you try to force it reading bad media or scratched discs a longer time. I usually play backup copies of rare game (want to keep the original discs in good condition). I have personally never had any problems with the laser dying and don't know anyone who has.

Just use common sense, if the console has problems reading a disc then don't play it!. And if you need to play backups, then make sure you buy quality media and not some cheapo brand :)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

bloodflowers wrote:Either is a bitch to mod. If you can afford it, it's worth just getting a second hand JP unit instead.
Do JP units play Korean imports?
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

Yes, Japanese PS2's can play Korean and Chinese/Asian games too :)
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

I hear ya visuatrox, I think I'm gonna go with modding the new model PS2, I like it's size.

Thanx for the info man, I bet you must have all your stuff modded?
Blade

Post by Blade »

Does anyone around here have any soldering tips for working with Modchips?
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

Nei First wrote:I hear ya visuatrox, I think I'm gonna go with modding the new model PS2, I like it's size.

Thanx for the info man, I bet you must have all your stuff modded?
No problem, yea I always get my consoles modified.. PS2 is the only console I have not dared to modify myself though, the soldering points are so insanely small/many on it (the soldering equipment alone would cost almost as much as getting someone professional to do it) :P
Blade wrote:Does anyone around here have any soldering tips for working with Modchips?
http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?f ... 1085989190
Berty

Post by Berty »

I am using the memory card exploit to boot original japanese game from a 60 gig HDD that i have mounted in my PS2.

If you want to do this then you will need...

An action replay max evo,
Network adapter,
HDD
Any original PS1 game
and files.

The only trouble is that when i want to copy my jap games to the HDD i have to remove the HDD from my ps2 and put it in my PC, then i use WinHiip to transfer the iso.

I have a limited edition ps2 and didn't want to void the warranty so i did this. just google for "exploitstation" and that should answer any q's.

I know that i have dug up a bit of an old post, but i think that this info is useful.