Need someone to mod a GC hori pad.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dylan1CC

Need someone to mod a GC hori pad.

Post by Dylan1CC »

Is there anyone here who would be able to mod a Gamecube hori pad for me with a switch that will let me reverse the A and B buttons (would like this for proper jump 'n gun on Mega Man anniversary pack)? I was going to have Matt do this last year before his abscence and never got the chance. Please PM me with pricing if you can do this.
Neon

Post by Neon »

It'd probably be cheaper to get the xbox or ps2 version...

If you really need it, you could just trace the thingies on the controller pcb, then swap the wires. 2 solder points, should take less than 10 minutes.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Interesting. Maybe I will try it on one of my extra GC pads. But I still would feel better having a pro do it.
neojma

Post by neojma »

Try going to a local electronics shop or a ham radio group (or store that sells parts) - you'll likely find someone who can do the job in 10 minutes. Heck, try looking for an electrical engineering student at a university. Maybe a computer or television repair shop. Just find someone who is comfortable soldering.

It should be a pretty easy mod. Just tell whoever you can find who is competent that you need to switch the two buttons, it's simply a matter of unsoldering/resoldering. Honestly it's a pretty easy task, and probably a good beginner project. But I understand your concern...
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

Do you want the two buttons switched permanently, or do you want them to where you can swap between the two settings? Either way it's a fairly simple mod, if it can be done. Are you sure that this is the kind of pad you can mod like that? Some don't have the necessary provisions (mylar contacts instead of PCB traces, like my USB Sidewinder).
Blow up self to involve enemies.
raiden

Post by raiden »

It´s not as simple as desoldering wires, because it´s a pad, not a joystick. You would have to cut the traces of A and B button, solder 4 wires to both ends of the cut traces and connect these to a double switch in a crossed way. Be careful not to cut the ground traces, which you can identify by the fact they are connected to other buttons, but only the separate traces of both buttons you want to swap. Those double switches can be had for cheap, and in size small enough for a control pad, too. Just tell the guy in the electronics store you need a switch that can select between 2 inputs each for 2 outputs simultaneously.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

raiden wrote:Just tell the guy in the electronics store you need a switch that can select between 2 inputs each for 2 outputs simultaneously.
Tell him you're looking for a small DPDT (double pole/double throw) switch or you may be met with blank stares. I think I have a couple of these laying around...
Blow up self to involve enemies.
raiden

Post by raiden »

Tell him you're looking for a small DPDT (double pole/double throw) switch or you may be met with blank stares.
sorry, I wasn´t aware of the English expression. I´ll try to memorize.