Better Picture Image

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SheSaidDutch

Better Picture Image

Post by SheSaidDutch »

I dont know much about all the different video connections, So I've checked the forum and came across the booster for the TG-16 thread, I want to know If I can mod or purchase these for older consoles?

Mainly my Genesis(Megadrive) I've always had R/F :cry:
Dreamcast RGB
Gamecube AV
Could someone tell me or post a link explaining all about the different connections, pros and cons etc.
What options do I have?
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87

Oops! Posted this before noticing your location. The information below is for NTSC (60Hz) RGB.

Playstation, Playstation2, Xbox, Saturn, and Dreamcast can output an RGB signal. I understand that the Master System, Genesis 1, Genesis 2, and 32X can also output an RGB signal, but I don't have first-hand experience with them.

For the North American Gamecube, it is not possible to output an RGB or VGA signal out of the box. Gamecubes made after May 2004 lack the Digital A/V Output port. If you have this port, you will need to modify a Gamecube Component cable or Gamecube Digital Video cable (D-Terminal) to use either RGB or VGA. note: I haven't performed this cable operation
I think I read that Europeans get RGB support fine from their Gamecubes; Nintendo gave them the shaft in other ways.

PC-Engines, New-style SNES, and Nintendo64s need an internal modification to output RGB. GamesX is not necessarily the be all, end all of modification knowledge. I provide these links so you can get an idea of what's going on. If you're serious about performing the mod, try to find some other guides and compare notes. note: nor have I performed these operations

NES/Famicom is stuck in RF or possibly composite.

I do not know for certain the situation of the original SNES or the Genesis 3.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Thanks for the informative reply incognoscente 8)

I'll check out that link aswell :wink:
raiden

Post by raiden »

Megadrive, Dreamcast and Pal Gamecube can all output RGB video, you just need a cable transmitting it and a TV that accepts it as input which shouldn´t be too difficult as you´re living in the UK. While you can still buy a Gamecube RGB cable in stores, I´d go looking on ebay for both Sega consoles. The Megadrive cable is pretty hard to find, if you have a 1st generation MD, you can solder a cable from standard components. The Dreamcast cable is built with a special connector, while it is possible to build one from another kind of cable, the process is harder than with a MD, and as DC cables aren´t that hard to find, buying one is probably easier.
Once you start using all your consoles with RGB, you will want to check out RGB-Multi-Scart-Switchboxes. With these, it´s important to make sure they are truly capable of transmitting RGB (especially the cheap ones often aren´t), and to use a fully connected Scart cable to connect the box to the TV set.
I do not know for certain the situation of the original SNES
they can output RGB with the necessary cable. Note that the Gamecube RGB cable is NOT compatible, although it uses the same plug.