Jamma harness prob (simple one)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

Jamma harness prob (simple one)

Post by neorichieb1971 »

My harness connector tilts and when doing so loses a connection or two. Mainly the sound if it tilts one way or Red if it tilts the other way. Obviously the teeth are not connecting with the pcb tightly enough, whats the best way to get around this. I think I need a tool that pulls the teeth out so I can crimp the teeth tighter but I don't know what its called.... Any ideas?

Thanks.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
raiden

Post by raiden »

For some time, you can help yourself by using a small screwdriver or even a toothpick to carefully bend the teeth inwards a little. However, each time you do it, the elasticity will get worse, and you won´t get around replacing the Jamma harness itself.
Also, you should try cleaning the contacts with isopropylic alcohol. Sometimes it´s simply dust causing the contacts to react irratically.
dboeren

Post by dboeren »

Good advice. Also, if it's happening on just one board it could be bad contacts on the PCB side. I use a pencil eraser to clean the edge connector contacts and it seems to work well.
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

So far its just one PCB as I have never changed the game in 3 months, I don't use the cab that often (I use the other 2 I have more often) so I don't switch the boards much.

For a quick fix I turned the PCB upside down, so the parts side was facing down on top of a flat piece of polystyrene, it works great now. I could in theory just leave the PCB on its side too. Connector is still flimsy imo.

Are there no pcb shelves made for candy cabs? I have 2 astros and an impress and all of them are difficult to insert and take out. One time my ESP ra.de touched the side and the graphics messed up, I almost shat myself because I thought I ruined a board. When I took the pcb away from the side it was okay again :shock:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
dboeren

Post by dboeren »

One thing I did on my Taito Egret was take some black electrical tape and put it over any metal which was close to where the PCB sits. In this cabinet, there is a sliding wooden platform for the board, but it slides on metal rails. By covering the rails, it reduces the risk of an accidental short.

I know what you mean, I once accidentally unplugged a board without turning off the power first. In a panic I tested it out and the board didn't work. I thought it was fried for a while, but later when I was retrying it and activated the test mode it started working again. As near as I can figure, I had just scrambled some settings and going into test mode set them back to default.
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB