Any point to buying an ST-V?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Blue Lander

Any point to buying an ST-V?

Post by Blue Lander »

I mean, if I already have a Saturn, is there any point in buying an ST-V? Are there any good games for it that weren't ported to the Saturn? Or any extra features to the ST-V versions of Soukyugurentai or Radiant Silvergun?
japtor

Post by japtor »

if you had a cab, you could just plug in the st-v board and go instead of having to mod a saturn and whatever cables to hook up to the jamma interface (if its possible). thatd be my reason for getting st-v stuff, if i had a horizontal cab at least. st-v carts seem to be pretty cheap too, so thats another nice plus.
MB

Re: Any point to buying an ST-V?

Post by MB »

Blue Lander wrote:I mean, if I already have a Saturn, is there any point in buying an ST-V? Are there any good games for it that weren't ported to the Saturn? Or any extra features to the ST-V versions of Soukyugurentai or Radiant Silvergun?
Aren't those enough? :lol:
PC Engine Fan X!

Here's another reason to get a Sega Titan ST-V mobo setup...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I got a Japanese Bios ST-V mobo and a Radiant Silvergun ST-V cartridge. The ST-V mobo is particularly picky about getting it's fair share of "juice" (meaning electricity to make it run properly). If I run my ST-V with a Supergun setup using a computer surge protector...the ST-V mobo won't work and "freeze up". However, if I plug in the ST-V with a Supergun setup into just a regular A/C outlet or a generic A/C power strip, the ST-V mobo works fine. None of my other arcade PCB mobos do that "bitchy" stunt on me.

I like the fact that you don't have to wait very long for an ST-V game cart to load up as it's lightning fast (the entire game loads into the RAM section of the mobo) and there's no slow-ass double-speed CD-Rom drive to wait up on to load the games.

I'm not sure if the ST-V can output in stereo though...I do see a 4-pin port on the ST-V PCB itself -- could very well be a stereo output port.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
AntiPasta

Post by AntiPasta »

that *is* a stereo output port indeed :-)
And I'm very happy with my ST-V, but maybe that's because I'm such a Saturn nut and a sucker for PCBs with loads of chips (/me caresses Sega Model 2A) 8)
...and suddenly, a very freaky wormhole opened, and 4 3-foot tall market analysts fell out...
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

...that is a lot of chips. i got bored after 40!
I have no sig whatsoever.