Hori Upscan Converter + TV

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
stuntman

Hori Upscan Converter + TV

Post by stuntman »

http://hori.jp/products/pc/upscan_tv/index.html

I can read the output resolutions, but don't know any Japanese so can't figure out the other details. Can anyone assist with a translation? I particulary want to know what types of input it supports.
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Hori Upscan Converter + TV

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

stuntman wrote:http://hori.jp/products/pc/upscan_tv/index.html

I can read the output resolutions, but don't know any Japanese so can't figure out the other details. Can anyone assist with a translation? I particulary want to know what types of input it supports.
The Hori Upscan 2 accepts analog RGB directly from either the PS2 or Gamecube console for conversion from 15.7 kHz to 31 kHz on your PC SVGA monitor...you'll need access to a USB port as it needs to be powered by one anyways..... ^_~

Here's a link to the above Hori Upscan 2 with info specs in English on NCSX's site:

http://hh141.hiphip.com/templates/frmTe ... olderID=97

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

Thanks, but you're referring to the Upscan Converter 2, which seems to have been discontinued. I'm after info on its 'successor', the Upscan Converter + TV.
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

After some searching, this device looks very similar to a Logic 3 Super VGA Box with TV Tuner. The 'Super' version has S-Video input, the regular has just composite.
SAM

Post by SAM »

I have an HORI Upscan Converter 2 for sale (USD 52.91 + Postage), which I have converted to accept Component (YPrPr) Vedio.

Orginally the Component (YPrPr) Vedio could only be directly connect to the PS2/XBox AV Pinout, as the Component (YPrPr) Vedio in line got a PS2 AV out pulg at the end (They have also included a PS2 -> XBox Pinout adoptor, so you could also connect to XBox).

After the conversion, you could any Component (YPrPr) Vedio singal to the unit. But the catch is you need a Component (YPrPr) Vedio cable for PS2/XBox now. :o

The unit still have to draw power from a USB port.

PM me if any one is interested.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

I have one of those in my cab, for playing PS2 games in TATE. I was after another one for my YOKO setup on 21" PC monitor, but have come up with another solution... I already had a PDI Deluxe video capture card in my PC and this accepts component input. Used with dScaler I have a perfect picture. I'd assumed there would be some lag, but I didn't notice any while playtesting last night :D
SAM

Post by SAM »

Soound a GREAT idea!!! :D

The quality of upscaned vedio is totally depending on the deinterlacing algorithms of the upscaner, and since you could use different algorithms, it seems that you could find the best upscaning settings in this way. :)

I suppost you need to kept you PC on during play right? :o

If seems I need a TV Card to do that, how much does that usually cost? :o
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

Yes, the PC needs to be kept on, but then mine runs 24/7 anyway. I find it very convenient be able to quickly switch between doing some work (!) on my PC then over to the PS2 for a quick blast of Gradius V :)

I'm currently using the Blended Clip deinterlace method, and have turned off certain features like Judder Terminator and Auto Film/Video Detection, and in the View settings I set it to switch resolution in full screen mode to 640x480 @ 60Hz.

A TV tuner with S-Video input should be fairly cheap, but I doubt this would look good. The only card I know of with component input is the PDI Deluxe (aka Sweetspot)...

http://www.pixelmagicsystems.com/produc ... deluxe.htm USD 230
http://www.pluggedin.tv/site/sweetspot/index.html ~USD 248

Not cheap! If I didn't already own one, I'd probably be considering an XRGB-3 instead.

I wish I'd tried this before, however from what others have said I just assumed there'd be noticeable lag. I read somewhere that a 2GHz (or faster) CPU is recommended to avoid gaming lag, and my 2.4GHz P4 (with 1GB DDR memory) is up to the task.
SAM

Post by SAM »

stuntman wrote:A TV tuner with S-Video input should be fairly cheap, but I doubt this would look good.
Local PC equirement store got S-Video TV tuners for sale Price ranges around USD 64 to 85. The difference seems to be connect via USB; with or without Remote Contorl... I too, doubt that there would be much improvment in upscaning a S-Vedio source.

I think what the local people really care about is to use the PC as a TV program recorder....
stuntman wrote:I'm currently using the Blended Clip deinterlace method, and have turned off certain features like Judder Terminator and Auto Film/Video Detection, and in the View settings I set it to switch resolution in full screen mode to 640x480 @ 60Hz.

The only card I know of with component input is the PDI Deluxe (aka Sweetspot)...

http://www.pixelmagicsystems.com/produc ... deluxe.htm USD 230
http://www.pluggedin.tv/site/sweetspot/index.html ~USD 248

Not cheap! If I didn't already own one, I'd probably be considering an XRGB-3 instead.
I don't think the XRGB-3 is a good idea, although this card cost much the less the same. Since you have a lots more options to use differents kind of deinterlance plug in and settings, comparing to XRGB-3 (It dosen't support RGB in). The chance of getting the job done right increase mutiple folds this way.

I don't think the cost of a card with component input is really matter much, since prices of PC parts went down very fast. :o

By the way, does your card support RGB in?
stuntman wrote:I wish I'd tried this before, however from what others have said I just assumed there'd be noticeable lag. I read somewhere that a 2GHz (or faster) CPU is recommended to avoid gaming lag, and my 2.4GHz P4 (with 1GB DDR memory) is up to the task.
Well I guess a good vedio card should help too.

Well, I guess we should change the title of the thread to "PC TV Tuner as Upscan Convertor". :lol:
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

SAM wrote:I don't think the XRGB-3 is a good idea, although this card cost much the less the same. Since you have a lots more options to use differents kind of deinterlance plug in and settings, comparing to XRGB-3 (It dosen't support RGB in). The chance of getting the job done right increase mutiple folds this way.
From what I've read, the XRGB-3 does support RGB in via the 21-pin connector on the front of the unit. It looks like a SCART (Euro) connector, but uses a different (Jap) pin layout. I doubt it could produce better results than what I'm getting though :)
by the way, does your card support RGB in?
Yes, the card supports RGB input, which I have used (not recently) with a Sky digital satellite TV decoder. I tried hooking up my PS2 with RGB but couldn't get a proper picture. I think this was due to a problem with the cable though.
Well I guess a good vedio card should help too.
My graphics card is nothing special... ATI Radeon 9200SE (128MB) AGP.
Well, I guess we should change the title of the thread to "PC TV Tuner as Upscan Convertor". :lol:
Good idea :lol:
RdP

Post by RdP »

If I have a Hauppauge PVR 2, how can I connect to the PS2 if I have an upscan converter 2?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

RdP wrote:If I have a Hauppauge PVR 2, how can I connect to the PS2 if I have an upscan converter 2?
The Upscan Converter 2 outputs in RGBHV, right? So you'll need something that can take that and give you HDMI for the PVR 2, like the OSSC, or perhaps there are some generic VGA to HDMI converters out there, but who knows if those are any good.
azmun

Post by azmun »

I recently acquired a HORI Upscan Converter 2 G-Combo+. To my surprise and disappointment, it does not seem support 480p. There are basically three input modes: composite, s-video and component via the PlayStation 2's AV multi-out plug. Back in the day, it must have been amazing to have your home console able to display to a PC CRT (or LCD). However, these days gamers are a bit more discerning and demanding.

I've tested my AV Famicom's composite output and while it's not bad, it isn't great either. The OSD helps to tweak the picture quality but has very limited results. I was surprised the built-in AV multi-out plug is not compatible with my PSOne. I tried switching to all three input modes. None worked save for component but with a totally garbled video. Seems the only way to connect this device to a PlayStation is via composite or s-video cables. The built-in AV multi-out only works with PS2 (or Xbox via adapter).

Isn't it quite strange device supports PC via pass through but not 480p progressive scan PS2 games? I've another similar device--Waka Upscan converter which works fine with both PS1 and PS2, just not 480p games understandably (as it was manufactured during time when 480p games were virtually non-existent). And in my opinion, the Waka has significantly better picture quality. The only advantage Hori Upscan Converter 2 has is ability to convert composite or s-video 240p or 480i 15kHz source to 31kHz. If anyone in the know can explain why Waka has better quality please share some insights. I suspect it has something to do with extracting the PS1 & PS2's RGB as opposed to component signal.

Finally, there are at least two other VGA box type devices geared mainly for PS2--Blaze VGA adaptor and Redant. Do any of these support 480p? If not, many gamers must have been misled in the past. And I think I finally understand why Dreamcast VGA is said and known to have superior output.