PCB care tips.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ord

PCB care tips.

Post by Ord »

Could someone please give me any tips on how to store, clean and generaly take care of my pcbs please?
Much obliged. :)
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

If your in the USA the cheapest solution is bubble wrapped and inserted into one of those free priority mail boxes you can get at the post office.

If you want a more expensive option you can look here, I think somebody on the neo-geo.com posted this a while back.

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_2351.asp
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
system11

Post by system11 »

Do:
* check your 5v isn't too high or low
* be careful with them, especially the undersides
* use antistatic bubblewrap
* use a firm brush to dislodge excess dust and dirt
* sanity check you put the JAMMA connector on the right way and lined up - sometimes it's impossible to get wrong, sometimes the connector key is missing.
* Turn the sound right down before first power on of a newly purchased board (usually, anticlockwise) - I've had to put new speakers in twice due to crazy volume levels.

Don't:
* bend them, drop them, drop metal things on them, etc
* use normal bubblewrap
* stack them on top of eachother, even when wrapped
* leave them in the sun if they have windowed eproms (yes really)
* wash them, unless you plan to dry under the chips somehow (hair drier from the sides and so on)
* plug a non jamma game into the jamma loom. People do this all the time, usually with Sega System 16 games, they look very similar.

Best storage method is antistatic wrap in individual boxes, if you're in the UK, Aid-Pack do various sizes and types of boxes and are well priced.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Ord

Post by Ord »

Thanks Bloodflowers. :)
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
dboeren

Post by dboeren »

Here's how I store my PCBs, I'd love to get feedback on whether these practices are good or bad...

I have some large Rubbermaid tubs and a bunch of bubble mailers. What I've done is set it up similar to a filing cabinet. I have a layer of bubble wrap on the "floor". Then I store my PCBs standing on edge, with a bubble mailer between each PCB as a separator. Keeping them in the tub keeps dust off. Keeping them on edge I think should reduce stress on the components. Keeping them separated w/ bubble mailers prevents them touching and provides a nice way to keep them organized.

When I say "bubble mailer" I'm talking about those large (maybe 16"x12"?) paper envelopes with bubble wrap inside. The boards touch paper, not bubble.
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB
japtor

Post by japtor »

i have the mailer thing inside a priority mail box, and the pcb sits on that, so i slide out the board using the mailer (instead of dragging the board out against the cardboard of the box). i leave one side open so i can just leave it in the box when hooking up the jamma connector, the box happens to fit perfectly in the back area of my cab, so i just leave them in there when playing (other than ketsui, which i have mounted to a board and fits in the normal board slot), im wondering if thats safe to do or not.

id rather have them all mounted to boards (definitely feel much better when putting them in), but that sorta raises more storage questions. and speaking of board mounting, is there an easy way to do it (be able to swap different games on a single board?), or do i have to just make a different one for each game. and is there a particular way they should be connected? ketsuis basically held in with nuts and bolts and spacers. ive seen pcb mounting stuff but i dont know where to buy them (or how exactly those are used either for that matter).
raiden

Post by raiden »

when using the mailer method, even with bubble wrap in between, I´d make sure to include something to secure space for each PCB. Someone I know just keeps them in a box (with bubblewrap around each), and all the large parts on the PCBs get bent towards the surface.

my method at the moment: each PCB is fixed to a thin wooden board. Wood doesn´t develop static like some kinds of plastic do, and the board stabilizes the PCB. Even when taking them out of the cupboard, I usually only touch the wooden board, not the PCB. Whenever I need to touch something on the PCB, I make sure to touch the heating or a water tube first to get rid of electrostatic charges.

another thing I did is make custom Jamma cables for each single PCB, so even when changing games I don´t have to touch the PCB itself, instead I just unplug the cable from the Supergun and plug in another one. When not in use, the cables are held in place at the sides of the cabinet-shaped cupboard in which the PCBs are stored. One benefit of those custom cables is each contains resistors fitting to the PCBs picture output level, so I don´t need to adjust colors on the TV. I will also use it in a way to automatically play each game that has stereo in stereo and all the others in mono without changing anything but this one custom plug. I could even do custom key layouts, but that would spoil my habits for each time I play on another Supergun.

recommendations:
- mount each PCB on wood to keep air around all parts that can get hot. For the same reason, I wouldn´t mount them permanently in a closed cartridge, because the air can´t circulate in there. A box that is opened for playing and closed for transport should be the ideal combo. Be sure to clean them regularly with canned air or a vacuum cleaner without touching the PCB. Whatever you do, you should always try to touch the PCBs as seldom as possible.
- bubble wrap is a problematic issue. If you want to store lots of PCBs, dust is a primary problem that can avoided with bubble wrap. If you don´t have that many PCBs, but play each of them often, bubble wrap is more of a hassle and not that useful, because each wrapping/unwrapping process includes a tiny amount of mechanic force on the PCB. Don´t get the idea to play PCBs while wrapped, because that will prevent air from cooling the PCB, and the bubble wrap might melt.
- the toothbrush is the everyday method of cleaning contacts. You should always have one in reach, reserved only for this purpose. If the toothbrush isn´t enough, use isopropyl alcohol with earcleaning tips, both of which you can get at a drugstore.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

I keep mine in PCB shaped anti-static (RED) bubblewrap wallets with one end open for easy removal.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/pcb_shelf.jpg
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
dpful

Post by dpful »

http://www.rest30.com/vids/arcadestuff.htm

here's a link to some of my stuff. I think you should make cases for them. At least mount them to a board. remember, these are irreplaceable, low run products.

I usually make a box out of wood or plastic, put some holes in it, and mount one PCB to the top and one PCB to the bottom. They stay firm and I never touch them- you should consider the insides of a super nintendo or genesis, nothing moves or gets touched when your changing the carts.
raiden

Post by raiden »

finally got an opportunity to take pics of my setup, here they are:
http://www.bloodrain.mynetcologne.de/my_setup2.JPEG
http://www.bloodrain.mynetcologne.de/customak.JPEG
japtor

Post by japtor »

dpful wrote:I usually make a box out of wood or plastic, put some holes in it, and mount one PCB to the top and one PCB to the bottom. They stay firm and I never touch them- you should consider the insides of a super nintendo or genesis, nothing moves or gets touched when your changing the carts.
theyre also more than just roms. not sure how much concern should be taken about heat created by the cpus and other chips, but some cased boards have fans for a reason.
dpful

Post by dpful »

Some of my cases have holes drilled in them. I've thought about that- they don't seem to get too hot when I only have them on for an hour or so. When I have to put one in a machine at the bar, I take it out of the case. I've thought about combining them all into one shelf with an open front and back.

I do like the the cases though.