Which PS1 boot disc will Toaplan Shooting Battle work with??

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

Which PS1 boot disc will Toaplan Shooting Battle work with??

Post by dave4shmups »

Or does it work with any of them?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
D

Re: Which PS1 boot disc will Toaplan Shooting Battle work wi

Post by D »

dave4shmups wrote:Or does it work with any of them?
Probably.
Please note that you don't necsecarilly need a boot disc to play imports.

And when you do necsecarilly need one there are freeware bootloaders you can download as well.

Just to let you know/FYI, these options will probably not work as fluently as an official bought bootdiscloader......But they will work......most likely...

And nice way to let everyone know you have THAT game.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Well, if he wants to use a US PS1 and doesn't want to go for an expensive mod, a boot disc is the only way.

Anyway, what would help you most is if somebody can answer you whether or not the game uses Redbook audio or not. If not (which is unfortunately generally not the case for 32-bit shmups for whatever reason), the game will play for certain on any boot disk. If so, the boot disc needs to have Redbook tracks that fit all the tracks of the import game or the game will either freeze or play without music.

I use a Goldfinger so my "boot discs" are all domestic games that are swapped for the imports. One game that works with all import games Ive tried so far (although tending to mix up the music tracks in Redbook games) is Gundam Battle Assault.

You mentioned freeware bootloaders, which I found interesting since I've never heard of them before. Do you specifically know of any? I'm not sure how the PS1 will detect them as official US discs to be swapped. I'd guess that the official boot discs like Breaker Pro also contain bad sectors, which are impossible to burn on home burners.