Link control panel to both Rapsberry Pi and Nintendo Switch

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
guigui

Link control panel to both Rapsberry Pi and Nintendo Switch

Post by guigui »

Hello all,

I have a Retropie cab which runs with a Raspberry Pi 4, controlled by a pair of Sanwa sitcks and buttons, all linked to the Pi via USB encoders named "game control board" like this one :
https://www.amazon.com/Easyget-Controll ... hdGY&psc=1

Now I have this idea to put my Nintendo Switch inside the cab too. Of course I would like to control the Nintendo Switch with the same sticks as the Pi ; without needing to plug/unplug things.
So I guessed I would need other USB encoders that allows to control both the Switch and the Pi. I bought the CY-2201 model by SJ@JX :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D9LVJXX/re ... UTF8&psc=1

It works controlling the NSW, but I cannot figure out how to make it work with the Pi. When connected to the Pi, all it does is turn its blue light on, but no buttons nor stick respond.

TL;DR : I would need any help on plugging my Sanwa control panel to both a Nintendo Switch and a Pi inside the same cab.

Thank you for reading.
Last edited by guigui on Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
guigui

Re: Link control panel to both Rapsberry Pi and Nintendo Swi

Post by guigui »

Latest attempt to plug my control panel to both Raspberry Pi and Nintendo Switch : custom made cable splitters !

More precisely : I have a USB encoder that can send the stick and buttons signal correctly to the Pi, and another USB encoder that can send the signal correctly to the Switch. Of course I do not want to plug/unplug those encoders each time I want to change system.
So I built cable splitters with 1 IN and 2 OUT : plug them to your sanwa button, then it splits in two, plug one in the encoder to the Pi, and the other in the encoder to the Switch.

But then I saw weird behavior, depending on if both USB encoders are powered or not, that I'm trying to sum up here :

* USB encoder to Pi ON + USB encoder to Switch OFF : does not work. Pi reacts as if no signal came in.

* USB encoder to Pi OFF + USB encoder to Switch ON : does not work. Switch reacts as if no signal came in.

* USB encoder to Pi ON + USB encoder to Switch ON : Pi reacts correctly. Switch registers some inputs, but mixes the buttons and stick input. For instance pushing UP on the stick is sometimes registered correctly, sometimes not registered at all, sometimes registered as a press of the button A. Looks like having both USB encoders powered at the same time creates some interference with the USB to Switch encoder.

So the idea of cables splitters between controls and USB encoders looks complicated and too random. I guess the best would be to have a single USB encoder that can send the signal to both Pi and Switch. Cannot find it yet. Or something else ?

TL;DR : I would need any help on plugging my Sanwa control panel to both a Nintendo Switch and a Pie inside the same cab.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
guigui

Re: Link control panel to both Rapsberry Pi and Nintendo Swi

Post by guigui »

guigui wrote:I guess the best would be to have a single USB encoder that can send the signal to both Pi and Switch.
I found this Brook Zero Pi Fighting Board Easy version and it works :
https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/53169470/

* Wire your Sanwa control panel to it (the Brook fighting cable makes things easier for this, though a bit expensive)
* Plug USB out into your Pi : it works.
* Plug USB out into your Nintendo Switch : it works.

So great so far. Now I have to find a way to make it work with both at the same time, without having to plug/unplug it to Pi/Switch.
Since it has 4 different USB out connections, maybe using one for Pi and another for Switch would work ? I have to try but need the good cables first.

Will let you know how that goes...