Philips 25" CRT TV RGB Mod (TDA9587H), NEED HELP!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fatalhalt

Philips 25" CRT TV RGB Mod (TDA9587H), NEED HELP!

Post by fatalhalt »

Hello,

I have a Philips 25PS40 25" CRT TV that I'm looking to add RGB input. The TV only comes with 1 video input: Composite (yellow). I have been looking to pickup a Sony Trinitron TV but haven't found a 24" on craigslist close by, therefore I started messing with my Philips that I have. Back in 2002 it cost me about $160, it was among the cheapest TVs available at BestBuy I remember.

I'm very new to RGB mod on a CRT TV, when I saw on youtube somebody putting a switch and feeding RGB into OSD or something I was blown away! Today I disassembled my Philips TV and found that it has
a TDA9587H video chip.

https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf/870556/Ph ... DA9587H/10
https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/8705 ... TDA9587H/1

It appears to me that the chip contains at least 2 RGB inputs?

-What would be the most sensible approach to take to do the RGB mod on this Philips TV?
-Could somebody explain what are the common ways an RGB mod is made? I have seen people putting some sort of OSD switch, elsewhere I saw somebody splicing into wires near the vacuum tube: http://forums.modretro.com/index.php?th ... crt.12889/
-If RGB input mod can be done on this TV, would adding S-Video also be possible? I learned today that S-Video is also called Y/C, I'm very much interested in adding S-Video to his TV also as I have seen some Y/C pins

Thank you so much!!!
titan91

Re: Philips 25" CRT TV RGB Mod (TDA9587H), NEED HELP!

Post by titan91 »

I know this is a very old thread, but I don't have a way to contact the OP and maybe he will get a new post notification and come back. If I need to move this discussion to the main CRT TV RGB mod thread I'm happy to.

Anyhow, I have a very similar Philips/Magnavox TV, model number MT2501 with chassis number 25M800. I was unable to find a service manual for this TV or chassis, but it's an even more stripped down version of what fatalhalt has. RF only with a single mono speaker. So adding RGB or component to this would make even more sense. Mine has a superior Samsung tube, since the Philips ones from this era have been known to have quality control issues. The picture is pretty nice.

So I took mine apart as well and found it has the same combined video processor/microcontroller IC. The Philips TDA9587H. I also found the datasheet thanks to his link. Had a hard time otherwise sourcing it. It has inputs for RGB that double as YUV, or YPbPr/component. I was wanting my mod to be component, not RGB, due to it being very common in America. Plus with PS2 DVD playback and many Wii games, RGB will often not work vs. component.

Is anyone familiar with this type of Philips video processor (jungle) IC? I also found this thread discussing a component video mod as well. I read about the possibility of using the service menu to enable factory disabled inputs. Not sure if that's possible with my chassis. I also have that blanking pin which maybe be used to enable that input.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... msg1670256

Edit: Looks like some people have already gone down this rabbit hole with this IC. I'll need to catch up reading about that. There is hope!

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 1#p1496031
matt

Post by matt »

titan91 wrote:Is anyone familiar with this type of Philips video processor (jungle) IC? I also found this thread discussing a component video mod as well. I read about the possibility of using the service menu to enable factory disabled inputs. Not sure if that's possible with my chassis. I also have that blanking pin which maybe be used to enable that input.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... msg1670256
Yes, I've done the component mod on a TV with this chip. RGB is not possible, but YPbPr looks really good if you can get it to work.

I wrote a description of a similar Philips mod. On your TV it's basically the same although the pins on the jungle chip are different:

https://crtdatabase.com/crts/magnavox/m ... 4ms2331-17

The first step is to enable the CVI input in the service menu. Your TV may or may not be compatible with the mod (some aren't). If you can get into the service menu and get CVI to show up when switching inputs, the mod will work.
Last edited by matt on Wed May 17, 2023 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
titan91

Post by titan91 »

Hey Matt, your posts in the RGB mod thread have been very helpful, thanks for the documentation. The chip being the same is something I didn't consider. If it's running the same firmware from the flash ROM then the chip is obviously capable of doing that. I'm 100% happy with component and prefer it now since it's standard in the US and obviously you don't have to mess around with SCART cables.

The standard remote is coming in the next day or two.
titan91

Post by titan91 »

Entering 062596 followed by enter gives me the following screen. I'm not able to navigate anything, the only thing I can do is clear the text using the status/exit button and even when I do that SDM text still remains on screen in the upper right. The overlay clears if I power cycle the TV.

Am I SOL? What does incompatible firmware do when trying to enter service mode, anything at all? Does ERR 10 1700 at the bottom indicate an error code?
Spoiler
Edit: I found what seems to be a service manual for another Philips model. It mentions:
Service Modes
Service Default Mode (SDM) and Service Alignment Mode (SAM) offer several features for the service technician,
while the Customer Service Mode (CSM) is used for communication between dealer and customer.
Note: Some L8 and M8 chassis sets use a software version that does not contain the Service Modes (see table). In
this case, use the special Factory Mode Remote Control. This can be ordered by service code 4835 310 57511.
Complete instructions are included. This remote control will place the TV in the Factory Mode and allow access to all
adjustments that a normal Service Mode contains (including setting Option Bytes). Error codes will not be available.
There is also the option of using ComPair, a hardware interface between a computer (see requirements) and the TV
chassis. It offers the ability of structured trouble shooting, error code reading and software version readout for all L8
and M8 chassis
https://vdocuments.net/19l800-7602-phil ... ml?page=19

So I'm in Service Default Mode but the directional buttons don't do anything.

Edit: Thinking I had the wrong service code I did some more digging. Came across a page that mentions pressing the status/exit button instead of enter. So I tried that and got into the Service Alignment Mode.
Spoiler
I looked at the options and OP5 defaulted to 0. Probably because this set is RF only. I tried a few numbers mentioned in the main RGB mod thread but none of them so far gave me CVI. The latest one I tried is 180 which gives me AV1 and FRONT. Both have a weird jailbar pattern. Don't think it's a test pattern since the pattern changes once the TV has warmed up after a couple minutes. These inputs on the IC aren't terminated so it's probably just capacitance from the floating pins.
Spoiler
I'm going to stop posting here since that answers my service menu question, and continue in the main thread.
matt

Post by matt »

titan91 wrote:I looked at the options and OP5 defaulted to 0. Probably because this set is RF only. I tried a few numbers mentioned in the main RGB mod thread but none of them so far gave me CVI. The latest one I tried is 180 which gives me AV1 and FRONT. Both have a weird jailbar pattern. Don't think it's a test pattern since the pattern changes once the TV has warmed up after a couple minutes. These inputs on the IC aren't terminated so it's probably just capacitance from the floating pins.
Yeah you're SOL on the mod. This TV doesn't have firmware that's compatible with component input.
KoopaKlaw

Post by KoopaKlaw »

matt wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:29 am
titan91 wrote:I looked at the options and OP5 defaulted to 0. Probably because this set is RF only. I tried a few numbers mentioned in the main RGB mod thread but none of them so far gave me CVI. The latest one I tried is 180 which gives me AV1 and FRONT. Both have a weird jailbar pattern. Don't think it's a test pattern since the pattern changes once the TV has warmed up after a couple minutes. These inputs on the IC aren't terminated so it's probably just capacitance from the floating pins.
Yeah you're SOL on the mod. This TV doesn't have firmware that's compatible with component input.
Hey Matt. I am trying to Component mod a Brazilian 14" Philips CRT. Can I get a hand? Brendan told me to contact you here