TurboGrafx-16 or PC Engine palette accuracy problems in 2023

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Blair

TurboGrafx-16 or PC Engine palette accuracy problems in 2023

Post by Blair »

So, what's the current best way to play TurboGrafx-16 or PC Engine games and avoid the RGB palette accuracy problem? (more info at this link https://www.retrorgb.com/pc-engine-pale ... ology.html )

(images in spoiler)
Spoiler
1. Have standalone emulators or RetroArch cores been updated with a palette fix?
2. Does the new Analogue Duo (or Analogue Pocket) have an answer to this problem?
3. What about original hardware? What fixes are people using for all the OG systems? (besides just going back to composite/CVBS video out)

I can't seem to find much information about any of this. how are you guys solving this problem with your own setups?
(anyone on here using Recalbox 9 with a Raspberry Pi 4, or a Pi Zero 2W?)
BazookaBen

Re: TurboGrafx-16 or PC Engine palette accuracy problems in

Post by BazookaBen »

The new TurboNanza mod somehow grabs the correct chroma data for its s-video output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuWjIey_76o

I'm hoping to order one in the next batch.

For me this mod actually tipped the scale away from the Analogue Duo to just grabbing an original PC Engine.

I still have a Duo pre-ordered. I'm going to see how I like my complete modded PC Engine before I cancel
parodius

Post by parodius »

The SSDS3Pro supports it, iirc you can use the MiSTer palette with it.

Edit: initially wrote SSDS3 by mistake, thanks to SavagePencil for the correction.
Last edited by parodius on Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Yes MiSTer did it first and best. The new Terraonion flashcart also supports it. Turbonanza as mentioned is a new way to get it from original HW (though s-video may not be as super sharp as what you're used to, some people find it a sweet spot).

Unknown if the Analogue Duo will do it as well, though most likely it will eventually if not from launch (relatedly and for reference, it took the Pocket a long time to get color correction for its handheld cores).
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

parodius wrote:The SSDS3 supports it, iirc you can use the MiSTer palette with it.
Correction: the SSDS3 (original ODE from TerraOnion) does *not* support the palettes. The newer ODE, the newer Super HD System3 PRO (SHDS3?) *does* support palettes.
Gara

Post by Gara »

For original hardware the Terraonion SHDS3 has palette support. From what I understand they achieve that by tapping into the digital signal and then either outputting HDMI or RGB from their onboard DAC. The palette applies just fine, but the SHDS3 does have audio issues. I don't know what they screwed up in the process, but the analog audio output has really low volume. Apparently they couldn't raise it higher without audio clipping issues. There is no dual output or way to use HDMI audio with analog video output. There is also no 240p over HDMI option so you're stuck with the volume issue unless you use their 720p HDMI output.

As for the Analogue system I haven't seen any details about the OS or the various bells and whistles it will have. It would be pretty silly for them not to include palette support. With their recent track record I could see them putting off implementing it. Their updates have been coming incredibly slow.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Does the Turbonanza have the correct palette when outputting RGB, or only S-Video?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

SavagePencil wrote:Does the Turbonanza have the correct palette when outputting RGB, or only S-Video?
In my understanding, it doesn't do anything extra with the RGB signal, it just takes it from the EXP port like all 3rd party add ons (Sparkplug, Krikzz's new thing). Which means the colors are slightly off.

YC is grabbed somewhere else in the system, and buffered to give a clean on-spec signal. https://ko-fi.com/post/The-TurboNanza-i ... -O5O8EZ5P5

The other big plus is it's a no-cut built in mod that allows you to get stereo CD audio for the Turbo Everdrive Pro
parodius

Post by parodius »

SavagePencil wrote:Correction: the SSDS3 (original ODE from TerraOnion) does *not* support the palettes. The newer ODE, the newer Super HD System3 PRO (SHDS3?) *does* support palettes.
Yep, that's what I meant to write, SSDS3Pro.
Sorry about the confusion, will correct my original post.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.