SONY Trinitron KV-29FX64E flickering/micro blinking

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
amxcs

SONY Trinitron KV-29FX64E flickering/micro blinking

Post by amxcs »

Hello,
I recently got the TV, everything is fine, the only problem is that there is a slight flicker, or more precisely, a flickering of the light colors - white, yellow. This is most noticeable when I watch the TV directly in front of it at 90 degrees. When I look at an angle of 30 degrees from the top there is no flicker. Or if I watch from more than 3 meters, it is hardly noticeable, but that is not the goal, because it is better to use a smaller TV that does not flicker closer.

The TV is only used for PS1/PS2 and SEGA - NTSC games. On PAL, the jitter is even more visible.

I have another 100Hz TV - Daewoo DTK-29" with it the picture is as stable as a rock.

As well as two other smaller TVs Sony KV-21LS30E and LG RZ-21FB55RX they are also stable as a rock.

My question is, is this flickering normal for the model, an engineering fault, have Sony failed with this TV?, so I know if there is any point in looking for a problem somewhere?
Or if it's normal - just throw it in the bucket, because it's unacceptable that stupid brands like Daewoo perform better than Sony..

I read in many places that it's normal flickering for interlaced video. How then is it normal for LG and Daewoo not to flicker?
Taiyaki

Re: SONY Trinitron KV-29FX64E flickering/micro blinking

Post by Taiyaki »

Different people notice flickering differently I've noticed, and the same for other anomalies too. CRT's are filled with sometimes unusual video behaviors of some sort or other, even the best models have them. In one instance in a setup I saw the video fluctuate up and down a little (only on one side) but when I showed it to other people they couldn't see it and I had the hardest time getting them to even acknowledge it. Another example is close up slight pixel jitter or wiggle as some call them, pretty much all sets have them in some parts and to some degree, some see them, some don't. If you're really particular about the picture CRT's can drive you crazy. lol

As for this issue, you could try to capture it in video and see if it can be seen by others here (or if it even shows up at all). The only thing I can think is to find another TV of the identical model and see if you notice the same behavior. If you do and it really bothers you, this model just might not be suited for you. If you don't, then yes there might be some problem with this specific unit.
amxcs

Post by amxcs »

I played around with the service menu, changing all sorts of settings until I noticed it reduced the flickering. The tendency is that the darker the picture, the less flicker. Realizing this, I ended up reverting all the settings back to how they were and just reduced the contrast below half. The picture became darker, but the flickering disappeared. It remains to play with the geometry. On Ps2, the flickering is much weaker even with higher contrast, from which I conclude that it flickers more at 240p.

Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Do PS1 games flicker too? PS2 in 480i flicker would be expected, but not so much in 240p.
amxcs

Post by amxcs »

Yes, even more!
amxcs

Post by amxcs »

I tried the s-video input on this TV.
When I plugged in the cable, everything looks perfect, zero flicker - a picture dream.

So the TV still works normally, apparently there is some problem with the RGB input or Sync-a something, some kind of incompatibility...

Still, it is not normal that in the manual of this TV they have drawn a PS1 for connection through the RGB input. And should they not test this RGB input, that it is not the input for this job?