PCE-FX's review of Humble Bazooka PCE BT adapter...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PC Engine Fan X!

PCE-FX's review of Humble Bazooka PCE BT adapter...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

This is a review of Humble Bazooka's PC Engine Bluetooth controller adapter. Simply plug in the PCE BT adapter to the controller port (with the exception of NEC's PCE Duo-R variant console that requires a female to male mini din 8 extension cord to properly interface with it). A red led light flashes signifying that it's searching for a compatible BT game controller upon being inserted to the controller port. Press the BT pairing button on desired BT gamepad -- i.e. Nintendo's Switch Pro controller works flawlessly with it. Analog stick support isn't feasible but you'll be using the d-pad for gamepad directional controls along with buttons "X" & "Y" to function as buttons II & I on a genuine PCE d-pad setup. The minus & plus buttons replicate the Select & Run buttons respectively. Now you're playing without the hassle of those dreaded & pesky d-pad controller cords are considered a thing of the past.

This type of BT controller setup runs circles over NEC's 1st-party produced wireless controller + RF adapter (which only works properly if the RF-based controller is pointed within direct sight RF receiver's sensors). It's the 21st century & true BT controller compatibility is possible now on the cult gaming consoles of the PC Engine & TurboGrafx-16. It's about damn time that BT compatibility was made for the venerable PCE/TG-16 platforms.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SavagePencil

Re: PCE-FX's review of Humble Bazooka PCE BT adapter...

Post by SavagePencil »

Does it work as a 3- or 6-button pad? Any multitap issues?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Pretty awesome at first glance!!!

So I'm a stickler for a real-looking controller (or at least really similar form factor to the original, colors and all... like I'm fine using my gray PS4 controller on my PS1, or a black Xbox 360 on my OG Xbox - as very similar form factor at least... so how does the (I think the only option out there?) 8BitDo PC Engine bluetooth controller work on this? The more extensive manual only specifically mentions the BitDo M30 (Sega Genesis style)...

Humble and Stone Age Gamers page both say 7.4ms for the 8BitDo PC Engine controller... but then right below says "8bitDo – 16.2ms" – so which is correct?

Both sites also mention turbo functionality, but the Humble's more extensive "Adapter Documentation" page mentions nothing about turbo. How is that handled? And does it work on the 8BitDo PC Engine which has 2x turbo buttons on top of the regular 2x? --didn't see anything about it on the info page of their GitHub either.

FYI, there seems like there's also a USA TurboGrafx-16 version too for us USA centric people (like me!)... I still don't get why everybody buys the Japan version when they're from the USA...

https://stoneagegamer.com/turbo-bt-turb ... zooka.html

Honestly I might just wait another year - really hoping the (whenever... 1, 2, 3 years from now lol) Analogue PC Engine comes out, which has always been accompanied by 8BitDo controllers using the real controller port (for NES, SNES, and Genesis at least), and eventually 2.4ghz flavor ones (I've never had an issue with like a dozen+ 2.4ghz controllers, and loads of issues with BT through the years). ...especially since Taber works for both companies this should hopefully come true. I've already waited 33 years since playing my first TG16 for good wireless controllers... what's a bit more time.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

Dochartaigh wrote:Pretty awesome at first glance!!!

So I'm a stickler for a real-looking controller (or at least really similar form factor to the original, colors and all... like I'm fine using my gray PS4 controller on my PS1, or a black Xbox 360 on my OG Xbox - as very similar form factor at least... so how does the (I think the only option out there?) 8BitDo PC Engine bluetooth controller work on this? The more extensive manual only specifically mentions the BitDo M30 (Sega Genesis style)...
The 8bitdo PCE/TG16 controllers are actually 2.4ghz with included USB dongle, and NOT bluetooth, so they don't work with this adapter.

For that, you'd want the USB2PCE adapter which converts all manner of USB controllers to PCE/TG16 but was designed to be used with the 8bitdo PCE/TG16 controllers. I have this setup and it works great. I think it's the most authentic feeling wireless PCE/TG16 solution you can buy right now.

https://controlleradapter.com/products/usb-2-pce

One plus with this is you don't need multiple adapters/multitaps if you want multiple controllers. In true USB fashion, you can plug a single one of these adapters into a USB hub and connect multiple 8bitdo PCE/TG16 USB dongles.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

PixelDharma wrote:The 8bitdo PCE/TG16 controllers are actually 2.4ghz with included USB dongle, and NOT bluetooth, so they don't work with this adapter.
Thanks for the correction. What does both Humble's page, and Stone Age Gamer's page, both say "8BitDo's PC Engine Mini Controller" then (with NO mention of any additional converter needed)? Are we missing something?

*EDIT, no, it's me missing something lol... on a 2nd (ok, 3rd or 4th ;) read, they're actually comparing the 8BitDo PC Engine 2.4GHZ lag, to the lag of the controllers their device actually takes... so on 2nd look, this device is a FAIL, as there's currently NO compatible PCEngine-looking controllers (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) on the market that will work with it. Thanks for the link to what you use, but I don't consider $50 (Humble) + $60 (USB-2-PCE) + $25 8BitDo PCE controller a good combo ($135 to get it working!!!).

One of these for PCEngine (supposed to be very close to NES design, minus turbo), would be more than welcome: https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/8bitdo ... controller
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

$50 (Humble) + $60 (USB-2-PCE) + $25 8BitDo PCE
Why would you buy both adapters? Choose one. The USB 2 PCE works great.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I have the USB-2-PCE and use it with the 8Bitdo 2.4ghz pad and it works great. No need for the Humble one if that is all you want to do.