Extron VSC 500 Defective? Raised Black Levels SOLVED

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
HesterDW

Extron VSC 500 Defective? Raised Black Levels SOLVED

Post by HesterDW »

Hi all, recently bought a VSC 500 to output my PC to a JVC D-Series and I'm wondering whether this unit is functioning correctly. The problem is blacks are a greyish green. At first I thought it might be my Displayport to VGA converter, but then I tried with no signal going into the VSC 500.

-With the VSC 500 set to output a black screen on no signal, blacks are grey.
-When a signal is passed to it, blacks are grey.
-However, with the VSC 500 set to output a Color Bar screen on no signal, the right-most black bar is actually black.

Last picture shows a PS2 outputting black, so I know it's not the JVC. Is this just a bad unit or am I missing something?

Last edited by HesterDW on Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Re: Extron VSC 500 Defective? Raised Black Levels

Post by Fudoh »

try the NTSC pedestal setting in the menu.
HesterDW

Re: Extron VSC 500 Defective? Raised Black Levels

Post by HesterDW »

That was it! I would have never thought to try that setting. Even after reading the user guide I have no clue what it does lol. Thanks so much.
SavagePencil

Re: Extron VSC 500 Defective? Raised Black Levels SOLVED

Post by SavagePencil »

What value did you end up setting it to?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I would have never thought to try that setting. Even after reading the user guide I have no clue what it does lol. Thanks so much.
it removes the DC offset which might be present on video signals. That usually depends on the original region of your equipment (like NTSC in Japan vs. NTSC in the US). This was a nuissance at best with analogue equipment, but becomes a nightmare when dealing with it on digital conversions, where it's easily confound with a range mismatch (black level in RGB vs. YCbCr).

There isn't much you need to understand about it. Just set it in a way so you get proper blacks without adding black crush.
HesterDW

Post by HesterDW »

SavagePencil wrote:What value did you end up setting it to?
The only values are ON or OFF. It was on by default, as stated in the manual. I turned it off and that solved it!
Fudoh wrote:
I would have never thought to try that setting. Even after reading the user guide I have no clue what it does lol. Thanks so much.
it removes the DC offset which might be present on video signals. That usually depends on the original region of your equipment (like NTSC in Japan vs. NTSC in the US). This was a nuissance at best with analogue equipment, but becomes a nightmare when dealing with it on digital conversions, where it's easily confound with a range mismatch (black level in RGB vs. YCbCr).

There isn't much you need to understand about it. Just set it in a way so you get proper blacks without adding black crush.
Ok I somewhat understand. The manual mentioned blanking level but that went over my head. Analog video truly is a different world. Figuring out how to get a signal from modern tech that these CRTs can understand has been a journey.