shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:46 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: S-Video on Sony BVM 20F1E
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:05 am 



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Posts: 71
I bought a NEC PC FX a couple of years ago but have never hooked it up. Time to try it out. Unfortunately It doesn’t supports RGB scart so S-video is the best it can do. What is the easiest way to connect it to my BVM 20F1E through my Extron Crosspoint? Do I have to find one of those expensive 24N cards? :-(


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S-Video on Sony BVM 20F1E
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:59 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 1892
I was in the same situation a couple of years ago because of the PC-FX. First, composite from it is very high quality (similar to composite from PC Engine), so the gap between it and S-video is relatively small, so if you already have a 21D, etc. for composite, you're set. Chasing perfection, I did have to buy a 24N as sadly that is the only way to connect S-video directly to these monitors.

However, there is an alternative, and actually what I would recommend for an overall cheaper solution and with better picture quality: use a Retrotink2X-Multiformat or Pro in passthrough mode + an HDMI to Component (or VGA then combined to RGBS) adapter. The NTSC decoder on the Tink products is actually better than what was used in Sony's cards. For HDMI to Component, a Portta should work well.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S-Video on Sony BVM 20F1E
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:15 pm 



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Posts: 71
Thanks!
How big difference is it between composite and S-video on the PC-FX.
I wish there was a RGB mod for it but since it was such a flop no one have cared to give it attention.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S-Video on Sony BVM 20F1E
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:43 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 1892
RebeL9 wrote:
Thanks!
How big difference is it between composite and S-video on the PC-FX.
I wish there was a RGB mod for it but since it was such a flop no one have cared to give it attention.


Like I said, to me the difference is very small. Mainly you'd notice a difference in things like text, where it can have some slight artifacting on the edges via composite but not s-video. But sprites and anime sequences (of which the PC-FX has a lot) will look virtually the same.

I wonder if an RGB mod would have the same issues that RGB mods for the PC Engine have.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S-Video on Sony BVM 20F1E
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:48 pm 



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Posts: 71
fernan1234 wrote:
RebeL9 wrote:
Thanks!
How big difference is it between composite and S-video on the PC-FX.
I wish there was a RGB mod for it but since it was such a flop no one have cared to give it attention.


Like I said, to me the difference is very small. Mainly you'd notice a difference in things like text, where it can have some slight artifacting on the edges via composite but not s-video. But sprites and anime sequences (of which the PC-FX has a lot) will look virtually the same.

I wonder if an RGB mod would have the same issues that RGB mods for the PC Engine have.


You mean the stripes across the screens in solid colours?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S-Video on Sony BVM 20F1E
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:23 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 1892
RebeL9 wrote:
You mean the stripes across the screens in solid colours?


No that can be fixed easily, I was referring to the fact that RGB mods on PC Engine/Turbografx can't display correct colors. There's been lots of talk about this matter this year.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S-Video on Sony BVM 20F1E
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 1096
Location: Massachusetts, USA
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803448237939.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124362889285

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804154507127.html

These will convert Svid to RGBS, the latter (which is also the cheapest) will convert it to component.

The ones on AliExpress have line doublers but they also have a passthrough mode for simple decoding.
_________________
For CRTs, A/V gear, video games & more, be sure to check out my eBay!

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S-Video on Sony BVM 20F1E
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:56 pm 



Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Posts: 71
fernan1234 wrote:
RebeL9 wrote:
You mean the stripes across the screens in solid colours?


No that can be fixed easily, I was referring to the fact that RGB mods on PC Engine/Turbografx can't display correct colors. There's been lots of talk about this matter this year.


Aha is it why there is an option for raw colours on the PCE core on Mister?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S-Video on Sony BVM 20F1E
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:34 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 1892
RebeL9 wrote:
Aha is it why there is an option for raw colours on the PCE core on Mister?


Yep that's right, the raw colors are what you get with an RGB mod. It wouldn't surprise me if the PC-FX's video encoding works in a similar way. Comparing the RGB output from an emulator should give us a good clue, though I don't know if there are any good emulators for it (only tried the libretro core a few years ago and it seemed buggy or didn't run at full speed).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group