Cloning the Total Control 3 for Dreamcast

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kitty666cats

Cloning the Total Control 3 for Dreamcast

Post by kitty666cats »

Has anyone ever attempted this or even considered it? It would be cool to see something like the DreamConnector, BUT also works with the Saturn TwinStick like the TC3, and which has a USB keyboard input too.

A Total Control 3 commands stupid amounts of money on eBay, as well as the DreamConnector et al… some Brook adapter doesn’t quite cut the mustard, in comparison.

For reference, the DreamConnector has a VMU attachment, PS/2 keyboard, PlayStation 1/2 controller, Saturn controller. Total Control 3 is something similar, but the Saturn TwinStick works as previously stated (other adapters with Saturn inputs don’t support it).
jd213

Re: Cloning the Total Control 3 for Dreamcast

Post by jd213 »

Hmm, not sure if a Total Control 3 is what I had, but back in the day I had some kind of adapter that lets you use Saturn controllers on DC, but IIRC the Twin Stick didn't work correctly when I tried it (inputs weren't mapped correctly maybe). I hope it wasn't the Total Control 3, since I think I threw it out...

I also have the PS to DC adapter, I believe it has some lag so it isn't good for fighting games or shmups, but I ironically liked using the Ascii Grip 1-handed controller for PS to play DC JRPGs rather than the Grip for Saturn.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I have the Total Control 3. I don't remember button mapping issues when using the Saturn Twin Stick on it for Virtual-On 2, but I haven't used it in years.

On the Total Control 3 there is a toggle switch between Saturn pad and Twin Stick mode.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

What’s unique about the Twin Stick? I thought it just mapped the second stick to existing button inputs.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I think you're right. The toggle switch may be needed for the Dreamcast to recognise it correctly as a Twin Stick. The Dreamcast controller does not have enough buttons for this. If you imagine the d-pad as the left stick and the A,B,X,Y buttons as the right, and the triggers as the attack buttons then you would still need another button for the dash (top button on the twin stick).

I could just try it. I own the Saturn Twin stick and I have Virtual-On for the Dreamcast :D
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

There's the 'adapter for Maple' project here: https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... =5&t=13058 based around an STM32 board

Let's you use Saturn/MD/PS1+2/Gamecube/KBD+Mouse (PS/2), plus allows virtual VMUs (optional iirc). There's separate firmware if you want to use it as an Arcade stick pcb or with a Twin Stick. In the latter case, I'm not sure if that then means you can't then use a Saturn pad as it will be forced in to Twin Stick mode permanently. Oh and you can also hook up an LCD for VMU dispay iirc

I skimmed read the thread a while back but never got around to building one but there's a breakout board by Razor X here:
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thank you for posting that. Looks very interesting :)

I just checked the TC3 with Twin Stick and regular Saturn pad. In pad mode L and R on the Saturn pad does not work, which is unfortunate. The face buttons map correctly in SFIII 3rd Strike though, but it would have been nice if L and R still worked like the normal DC triggers for other games.

Twin Stick mode worked fine*. Virtual-On would only recognise the adapter in this mode, and correctly identified it as a Twin Stick. Button mapping was correct with default settings. One weird thing is that the Start button on the stick did work on the main menu, but to pause the game you have to press the "Pause" button on the adapter itself. Not sure what that is about.

*In Virtual On, with a VMU attached the game glitched out a lot. It would frequently pause the game making it completely unplayable.
I had previously experienced the same behaviour with MC Cthulhu (but with no VMU of course). Reading the first page in Gunstar's link I was reminded that I had done the 220MHz overclock on my Dreamcast, and that it requires a different firmware for the Maple adapter to work on an OC Dreamcast. So it's very likely that's the cause of my problems. Never had this issue with the adapter when I used it years ago.
As I said I had completely forgotten that I had done the OC mod, I never had any issue saving or loading any games I've tried, but perhaps it can have a negative effect on controllers as well? Will have to reverse the mod and check again.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

It seems like the 220MHz overclock was the problem as suspected. The TC3 works fine now in Virtual-On without pausing all the time :)

The TC3 does not appear to work in every game though. Just fired up Sonic Adventure just to listen to the music as one does, but I could not start the game with a Saturn Pad. Had to insert a regular DC controller. VMU did display "Sonic Adventure" just fine.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Thanks for your testing! I used to have a DreamConnector 2, never had a TC3. I think I remember that adapter also having trouble with the occasional game.

Super cool little adapters, regardless