New flat monitor?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Costra

New flat monitor?

Post by Costra »

Hello fellow shmuppers. I have a pretty old BENQ XL2411T with TN panel wich is 1080p, 144hz and with 9.1ms of input lag at 60hz. I was thinking in changing it for a newer model with better colours, better response time and maybe better resolution, but im scared of buying a new 2k or 4k monitor and that it will not scale well with the PS4, Switch or steam shmups. What do you recomend?
gray117

Re: New flat monitor?

Post by gray117 »

A non tn panel would be nice.

If you don't mind a touch of softness I think you might just swing the doors open and consider 4k - most upscale very speedily - however the softness is very evident. So, specifically with ps4, I suspect a native 1080p screen would probably be best in your case. And assuming something like 4k pc gaming is just not of interest to you?

I had been eying up Gigabyte G27F 27-inch as a very reasonable secondary monitor (also as g sync etc.)

... what size did you fancy going up to?

... I would heartily consider bigger screen options if say 32+ was an option and of interest in terms of an 'upgrade'... but then it can get complicated with monitors then over 1080p, and some difficult calls on tvs... and this might not be your idea of an upgrade? (And might be totally irrelevant if you've already got something tv wise you're totally happy with already.)
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

RTINGS.com have a PS4-specific ranking, and their top suggestion is a 4K panel. Scaling from 1080p to 4K is fine, plus 4K is pretty good at other typical resolutions like 720p. 1440p reportedly looks better on 4K than 1080p due to the extra resolution, even considering the imperfect scaling.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... nitors-ps4
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I wouldn't throw any money at a new budget monitor right now. IPS tech isn't the best if you care about video game image quality. Honestly, even a noticable upgrade will be modest by comparison to an LG OLED. Save your money for games or (better yet) save up for an LG OLED.
We apologise for the inconvenience
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Or better yet save up for a QD-OLED.
subcons

Post by subcons »

Ed Oscuro wrote:1440p reportedly looks better on 4K than 1080p due to the extra resolution, even considering the imperfect scaling.
That’s certainly the case when upscaling with the RT5x in my experience.