Hitatchi Ultravision Curved HD CRT... Multiscan?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
deezdrama

Hitatchi Ultravision Curved HD CRT... Multiscan?

Post by deezdrama »

Seen a Hitatchi Ultravision CRT posted locally and never seen a curved screen HD CRT.
After doing a little reading I stumbled onto a post here about a guy getting a giant lot of hitatchi ultravisions that were multiscan.

Any clues if this thing is multiscan or supports native 480p or 720p? Or is it just like all the others and only good for 1080i since it would need to process lower res?

I believe its a model 36UDX10S
Pic
https://ibb.co/NsznNgK
Josh128

Re: Hitatchi Ultravision Curved HD CRT... Multiscan?

Post by Josh128 »

This is the re-design of the '98/'99 36sdx88b Ultravision Digital CRT that I cut my HD/Progressive Scan gaming teeth on back in the Gamecube days.

Back then I had no lag testing equipment, but I can tell you it will definitely accept 480p and can be put in PC VGA mode and fed either 640x480 or 800x600. It will also accept 240p/480i but those are definitely upscaled. I *think* it can can 720p from component, I know it will take 1080i.

Beautiful shadow mask tube with great blacks. To this day my ideal 480p display. Heavy as fuck, but lighter than the HD Trinitrons by a good measure.

I would be really interested to get my hands on another one of these to do some modern day resolution and lag testing.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ ... television
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Man I was just looking at the ad on Ebay-- it looks like this model does not have the VGA port? I never knew that, I thought it was the same as my prior year model which did have it and supported 640x480 and 800x600.

Be aware of that before you buy!! This is way overpriced though. I say that, but these sets are exceedingly rare these days, but still.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

No reason to pick an HD CRT over a Plasma, the small advantages the tube has over the flat panel dont justify getting a 150lb+ behemoth.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

They still have better 480p and motion than plasmas or OLEDs, but even I personally with my history and nostalgia of this set wouldnt give more than a couple hundred bucks for it. Any more and I'd go for a 4K OLED and use my RT5X and maybe later an RT4K.

Im telling you though, these things are impressive for 480p. Just looking at the closeup of the corner showing that sweet slot mask takes me back. Just like the dual scan 27MM20Bs from my "Hitachi Heist" last year, only larger and even sharper.

This same set is listed on Ebay, at the link above, BTW.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

I agree, nothing beats the texture that only a shadow mask/grille can make. It's too bad the only HD capable CRTs are 29"+, and the fact people are asking for a premium on these makes them less desirable imo, specially when you take into account all drawbacks.
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

Josh128 wrote:Man I was just looking at the ad on Ebay-- it looks like this model does not have the VGA port? I never knew that, I thought it was the same as my prior year model which did have it and supported 640x480 and 800x600.

Be aware of that before you buy!! This is way overpriced though. I say that, but these sets are exceedingly rare these days, but still.
A lot of CRTs are overpriced nowadays in my opinion, the sellers usually say it's because of "supply and demand". I had to be patient to get good deals on mine.