Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:51 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: *NEW* CRT-C® – Crosspoint RESPONSIVE Touchscreen-Control
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:48 pm 

coderkind wrote:
Dochartaigh, would you happen to know what the latest firmware for the Crosspoint Ultra series was? I've just finished the first part of your instructions (spot-on and really helpful, thank you), and noticed my Crosspoint Ultra is on firmware 1.07. I think you need an Extron Insider account to download any updates though?

Try the Extron DVD on Archive.org - should have literally every model.

coderkind wrote:
A quick question on the SVG stuff; was it that the Extron wouldn't serve svgs, or wouldn't allow you to upload them? Because I see the web interface doesn't allow for selecting .svg files (think the JavaScript in the page prevents it), but I think there's other ways of uploading files to the Crosspoint (the Windows app)?

You can upload them via Windows program or the Extron web interface. As soon as you link to a .SVG file in a webpage, and view that webpage, there is NO image/graphic displayed there (no matter what content type it's set as, no matter what browser on what device). .PNG and .JPG work fine.

Don't get hung-up on .SVG's as I did, they're really not needed with the screen sizes you'll use this on. I can load all 8x different templates I include in this tutorial, with their .PNG graphics, and they STILL fit in my Crosspoints super small storage space. .SVG's really aren't that much smaller than .PNG's tbh (even the larger 1200+ pixel ones I'm using). And again, linking to external sources for whatever graphics you want is literally changing the URL - super simple.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:42 am 

Yep; thanks.

I was more wondering about the web capabilities of the Crosspoints, rather than getting hung up on SVG support. If they don't support SVGs, what else might they not do (for future pottering about with)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:46 pm 

Had a play putting this on my HDMI switch and needed to make some new images for MiSTer, Retrotink and a few others.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vzjTt7 ... sp=sharing

Figured out how to have both my SMX VGA and DSP HDMI matrix on the same page and change to 4x5

I recommend making the IP of your Extrons static, do this by choosing the auto setting still, but then deselect it, change the last number of the IP to something high like 80, and make sure to delete and reinsert the last number of each other IP setting before you press TAKE or else the other settings default for some reason..

If you connect a few Extron to the one page like I have when you click on a function that isn't hosted on the Extron you are currently browsing from then it will still work but redirect you to that Extrons config page.

To circumvent this host the page on all Extron units and include their static IP in the paths. It will switch seamlessly between units.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:43 pm 

Syntax wrote:
Had a play putting this on my HDMI switch and needed to make some new images for MiSTer, Retrotink and a few others.

Figured out how to have both my SMX VGA and DSP HDMI matrix on the same page and change to 4x5

Glad you're getting use out of it!

And yes, CRT-C is essentially just using HTML links which can point to any device which can take commands over a webpage (even telenet binary/hex-type commands if compatible). My earlier teaser showing how I use CRT-C to center the image with an Extron RGB 203 Rxi is a good example of controlling 2x Extron devices at once. Have it currently hooked up controlling a TVOne Corio2 240p scaler and an Extron DSC 301 HD as well now (and some other Extron devices - mostly with an Extron IP Link box for more physical RS232/485 connections though as not everything has ethernet).

Still working on batch commands and things like making repetitive command strings easier if anybody is good at coding (had a couple people volunteer to work on it, but it was never finished).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:28 pm 

Syntax wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vzjTt7 ... sp=sharing

Nice work!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:30 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:
My earlier teaser showing how I use CRT-C to center the image with an Extron RGB 203 Rxi is a good example of controlling 2x Extron devices at once.

Can the 203 do sizing as well? Depending on the input, my CRT monitor can display a full-screen image or black narrow bars down the vertical sides - it's a pain to manually adjust when switching inputs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:33 pm 

Potentially silly question (but I've done a search for it and can't find the answer). Does anyone know what the "config" port does on the front of my Extron Crosspoint Ultra? It looks like a 3.5mm jack. The official page for the device (https://www.extron.com/product/crosspointultra128) doesn't feature it in the product photos, so I'm wondering what it does and what accessories might be used with it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:21 pm 

coderkind wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:
My earlier teaser showing how I use CRT-C to center the image with an Extron RGB 203 Rxi is a good example of controlling 2x Extron devices at once.

Can the 203 do sizing as well? Depending on the input, my CRT monitor can display a full-screen image or black narrow bars down the vertical sides - it's a pain to manually adjust when switching inputs.

Nothing to my knowledge can adjust width/height size like that (that isn't also a scaler-esque type device which can add lag and is meant for up/down scaling).

coderkind wrote:
Potentially silly question (but I've done a search for it and can't find the answer). Does anyone know what the "config" port does on the front of my Extron Crosspoint Ultra? It looks like a 3.5mm jack.

You can read in the manual about the "Front Panel Configuration Port". Isn't much use with CRT-C since I believe it uses Extron's "SIS" command language only (and not the internet-based interface like CRT-C uses).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:30 pm 

coderkind wrote:
Potentially silly question (but I've done a search for it and can't find the answer). Does anyone know what the "config" port does on the front of my Extron Crosspoint Ultra? It looks like a 3.5mm jack. The official page for the device (https://www.extron.com/product/crosspointultra128) doesn't feature it in the product photos, so I'm wondering what it does and what accessories might be used with it.

Its just a front access to the serial coms port, and its not 3.5mm, its smaller

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:38 pm 

Thanks, both.

If it's a front port for serial access, then it'd be useful to hook up with Extron's PC app still (to change inputs without reaching around the back of the unit), but finding a cable for it isn't easy. Spotted one on AliExpress but it's about twice the price as a db9 cable I've got working via the back port (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:36 am 

First of all: Thanks Dochartaigh for the awesome project. I bought an IPL T S1 a while ago to test CRT-C with my Crosspoint 300 series. I finally got around to try it.

I have hooked up 8 monitors to my matrix and would like to change the input on the fly without using presets. For this I decided to modify your files a bit.

I took the control16.html (8 inputs, 8 outputs) and added a bit of CSS and Javascript. The design is not final and could use some refinement. This is what it looks like now:

The top two rows are for the inputs and the bottom two rows for the output (disregard the logos on the bottom. I didn't make new logos yet so I just used the ones that came with CRT-C). When you load the page it will ask the matrix for the current configuration and will colour the bottom boxes according to the input chosen. The top eight boxes always have the same colour. So the current chosen configuration is: input 1 is connected to all the outputs.

If you click on one of the inputs it will be marked like this:

After that, if you click on an output it will be connected to that input:

As I said it isn't finished and if somebody has a better idea to signalise which input is connected to which output, I'm all ears. I'm not a huge fan of colouring the boxes. I just used it as a proof of concept to show the connections of the matrix. Also right now you need to refresh the website to get the current configuration of the matrix and I'm not quite sure if it is possible to get the current configuration without reloading.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:54 am 

ElBartoME wrote:
I have hooked up 8 monitors to my matrix and would like to change the input on the fly without using presets. For this I decided to modify your files a bit.

Very cool work! When you finalize it would you mind please sharing your code so others can try this if they want?

For the DESIGN: I think doing the color indicators in a similar manner to how Extron does is fine, and super logical. If you're using an IP Link box that means you have a BB crosspoint, correct? I believe both the BB (with red/green/amber LED) and WB Crosspoints (with red/green/amber backlit buttons) use color indicators the same general way.

You already know this, but for others that don't (and while we're brainstorming on the forum): If you press an input on the Crosspoint itself, the button turns green so you know it's selected. When you select the output(s) those also turn green so you can see which one(s) you've selected. You then press "enter" to confirm those changes. Afterwards, if you press any input it'll light-up the corresponding output(s) so you can see/check how everything is setup at a quick glance. (Note: this can vary a bit with colors of if you're switching audio only, video only, or both, but it's the same principle regardless)

To your webpage, I'm with you about not liking full blocks of color. I like the indicators being something lighter like just an outline of the box (or similar) like you show in one of your screenshots.

For the issue of having to refresh to see the new configuration, I did a quick search and there seems to be scripts to auto-reload a page either after you do a certain action (like pressing a graphic button), or after a set time interval – that might be a good thing to have happen automatically so the webpage is never lagging behind what setting the Crosspoint is actually set to. I have no clue how you're getting the layout to refresh anyway, but there is a SIS command which will throw back data to you about the current config, which might be what you're using to have the Crosspoint talk to your webpage for all I know.

This brings me to a question of how are you enabling the "enter" button? As in when people want to do for example: Input 1 > Output 1, you normally HAVE to hit "enter" after that to finalize the command. I don't see an enter button on your layout, so are you limited to only selecting ONE output? (then I'm guessing after selecting the one output the javascript kicks in and automatically hits the "enter" command for you?). And if there is no enter then I assume this can only select 1x output at a time? I find people who are enough into their setups to A.) actually own and have a Crosspoint setup, and B.) like it enough to try to setup CRT-C for it, usually have larger setups with multiple monitors (and/or a 2nd screen/output like a capture card, etc.), so this would be an important thing for a lot of us.

Two other little points: I linked above to a file that has Crosspoint (physical print-out) button graphics - lots of different monitor graphics there you can use for your bottom rows if you would like (all line-art so easily editable as well).

And also wanted to mention that the talented Kez has a cool (also auto-resizing like CRT-C does) pop-up modal he wrote. Currently I'm testing it on my regular CRT-C (which does Presets, not inputs/outputs like yours), where I click on the "Extron RGB" button, and a modal pops-up to do both horizontal and vertical centering with an Extron RGB box. That modal would be cool for your setup too (so you can have both presets - which I find immensely convenient, and manually selecting input/output for those who want that).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:28 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:
Very cool work! When you finalize it would you mind please sharing your code so others can try this if they want?

Thanks! Of course I will share the code.

Dochartaigh wrote:
For the DESIGN: I think doing the color indicators in a similar manner to how Extron does is fine, and super logical. If you're using an IP Link box that means you have a BB crosspoint, correct? I believe both the BB (with red/green/amber LED) and WB Crosspoints (with red/green/amber backlit buttons) use color indicators the same general way.

Yes, I have a BB Extron.

Dochartaigh wrote:
To your webpage, I'm with you about not liking full blocks of color. I like the indicators being something lighter like just an outline of the box (or similar) like you show in one of your screenshots.

Oh yes, I like that idea. Indicators make much more sense than just coloring the whole box. I will incorporate that into the code.

Dochartaigh wrote:
For the issue of having to refresh to see the new configuration, I did a quick search and there seems to be scripts to auto-reload a page either after you do a certain action (like pressing a graphic button), or after a set time interval – that might be a good thing to have happen automatically so the webpage is never lagging behind what setting the Crosspoint is actually set to. I have no clue how you're getting the layout to refresh anyway, but there is a SIS command which will throw back data to you about the current config, which might be what you're using to have the Crosspoint talk to your webpage for all I know.

Yes I'm using SIS commands to get the current status of the Extron. They way it does requests is weird and is baked into the HTML code when you load the page. I will have a look into auto-reloading the page in the background. Thanks for the tip.

Dochartaigh wrote:
This brings me to a question of how are you enabling the "enter" button? As in when people want to do for example: Input 1 > Output 1, you normally HAVE to hit "enter" after that to finalize the command. I don't see an enter button on your layout, so are you limited to only selecting ONE output? (then I'm guessing after selecting the one output the javascript kicks in and automatically hits the "enter" command for you?). And if there is no enter then I assume this can only select 1x output at a time? I find people who are enough into their setups to A.) actually own and have a Crosspoint setup, and B.) like it enough to try to setup CRT-C for it, usually have larger setups with multiple monitors (and/or a 2nd screen/output like a capture card, etc.), so this would be an important thing for a lot of us.

So the way it is set up now is the following: You click on an input. The input will be highlighted. You can now click on as many outputs you want. No need for an enter key here. As soon as you click on an output it will establish the connection immediately. When you are done you click on the input again to remove the highlighting. So you can do more than one output.

Dochartaigh wrote:
Two other little points: I linked above to a file that has Crosspoint (physical print-out) button graphics - lots of different monitor graphics there you can use for your bottom rows if you would like (all line-art so easily editable as well).

Oh, thanks! That makes my life much easier.

Dochartaigh wrote:
And also wanted to mention that the talented Kez has a cool (also auto-resizing like CRT-C does) pop-up modal he wrote. Currently I'm testing it on my regular CRT-C (which does Presets, not inputs/outputs like yours), where I click on the "Extron RGB" button, and a modal pops-up to do both horizontal and vertical centering with an Extron RGB box. That modal would be cool for your setup too (so you can have both presets - which I find immensely convenient, and manually selecting input/output for those who want that).

I also thought about unifying with the page for presets. That is the best of both worlds. When I'm finished with the stuff I mentioned above I'm gonna have a look at that too. Do you have a bit of code to show how that works?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:03 pm 

I changed to border-colors instead of the box itself and I think it looks much cleaner.

Sadly I'm not sure if reloading on the fly is possible. The way extron does it is baking the answer of the request right into the HTML. So that means I need to refresh the whole page to get new data. I can refresh the whole page, but the problem with that is there would be flickering everytime there is a refresh...

Offline Profile