shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:39 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152
 Post subject: Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:42 pm 

I've created a little breakout PCB for a SCART socket giving access to RGB, Sync, Ground & Audio L/R, making it easier to wire it all up. These all fit in my latest case design which you can get at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5363666

If you are interested in the PCB I popped a few on eBay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:03 pm 

Nice work on the case and SCART pcb, TomDD!

TomDD wrote:
I've created a little breakout PCB for a SCART socket giving access to RGB, Sync, Ground & Audio L/R, making it easier to wire it all up. These all fit in my latest case design which you can get at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5363666

If you are interested in the PCB I popped a few on eBay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:35 pm 

TomDD wrote:

Awesome work, you don't happen to have a version that fits a Node MCU by chance do ya? :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:16 pm 

Hello everyone! I modified a GBS 8200 recently and installed the GBS Control firmware on it for use with my PS2. It works great, and the picture quality is amazing, however, I have a problem with underscan and can't properly deal with it so far.

If I try to stretch the image to the actual borders, I get artifacts on the right side of the screen. Is there a proper way or a dedicated guide on how to stretch the image properly to account for the overscan area without messing up the output? I want to capture PS2 footage in the most pristine way I can and having to crop the overscan in OBS is rather lossy in terms of quality. No GSM/OPL/InGame option I tried fixes the underscan issue I'm having, it's all for dealing with overscan on the PS2 side.

Some other things that I have trouble with are the green tint in the image and the fact that the output signal switch doesn't seem as "immediate" as I've seen on YouTube reviews of GBS 8200 with Control CFW and I see "garbage" on the screen between each output signal switch. The first problem I fix by toggling the "IF auto offset" option but it doesn't seem to save to the preset since it's a dev option, maybe there's a more permanent solution to this color problem? The second problem I haven't found a fix for yet and I would like to ask if it's a monitor issue rather than the GBS one?

Also, on the side note: I noticed there's an OTA update toggle in the GBSControl panel, I turned it on but I'm not sure how to actually update the firmware from there. Or does it update automatically on its own over the air?

Sorry if it's a lot in this message, I have been trying to register on the forum for a week without success and a lot of questions piled up during this time :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:21 pm 

I have a question about turning off the LM1881 circuit when not using a Luma or Composite Video sync signal input over SCART (So for C-Sync input), what's the best way to go about bypassing it/turning it off so C-Sync goes through?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:20 pm 

@Crewarookie22 - what games are you playing with mode switching? I can test on a component input to see if it is handled differently than rgbs and hd-15 input. I can say confidently that those have maximum 1 frame blip when switching.

As for underscan, have you tried changing your monitor's settings? If your monitor has asepct adjustments, that might help. I can confidently say that gbs does not always fully stretch to fill the screen and when you stretch to the extents of its capabilities you will get artifacts/anomalies. Its commonly a mix between gbs' scaling and shifting, and the screens size adjustments to get the best outcome.

Have you tried the auto gain feature, to achieve color balance? It's best to feed gbs a solid white screen and a solid black screen in order for it to properly balance itself. It will continue sampling and adjusting for a few minutes after startup.

I've never updated any way other than via usb. Make sure you power the gbs while the usb is connected.

@Gunstar - one of the inputs has a different sync circuit path for its "csync" input. It might be the hd-15 input, I dont remember for sure. But that might provide a solution to your problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:40 pm 

NoAffinity wrote:
@Gunstar - one of the inputs has a different sync circuit path for its "csync" input. It might be the hd-15 input, I dont remember for sure. But that might provide a solution to your problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oh interesting, did not know that. I think I'm leaning toward just using a switch and bypassing the LM1881 when using CSync. I have no idea how wasteful it is to keep the Lm1881 powered though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:41 am 

I just made one of these for my little brother and hooked it up to his xbox360 via component for downscaling to 15khz. The output of the gbsc terminates at a Tim Worthington rgbhv to SCART plug and it works a treat EXCEPT I get washed out blacks so there’s obviously a black level miss-match, right? On my gamecube using gcvideo I can change it to limited or full to correct but there is no such option on the 360.

Any thoughts on how to fix this for the 360?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:35 am 

strayan wrote:
I just made one of these for my little brother and hooked it up to his xbox360 via component for downscaling to 15khz. The output of the gbsc terminates at a Tim Worthington rgbhv to SCART plug and it works a treat EXCEPT I get washed out blacks so there’s obviously a black level miss-match, right? On my gamecube using gcvideo I can change it to limited or full to correct but there is no such option on the 360.

I believe 360 does let you adjust the levels, it might be called 'reference levels' in the display settings iirc

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:07 pm 

Hi, i recently build a GBS-Control, and am having several issues. I did the potentiometer bypass, but when i try to output from my pc (RGBHV from a DAC) to component, it wont sync, and colors are strange (Pr signal is all white when plugged into Y, meaning its sending 100 red). Additionally, the GBSC breaks upon being connected to my wifi, and i have to reflash the firmware. If anyone has any fixes for these problems, please don't hesitate to reach out. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:12 am 

Gunstar wrote:
strayan wrote:

I believe 360 does let you adjust the levels, it might be called 'reference levels' in the display settings iirc

Cheers, I switched to using the xbox vga cable (with sync combiner) and now I can select the reference level. It’s not available when using component cables (which makes sense).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:00 am 

@strayan - Glad you got it sorted

A new redesigned GBS system/all-in-one is up on aliexpress, it has a new PCB that incorporates a lot of the mods for the old board by the looks of it:
Is this GBS' final form?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:21 pm 

Gunstar wrote:
@strayan - Glad you got it sorted

A new redesigned GBS system/all-in-one is up on aliexpress, it has a new PCB that incorporates a lot of the mods for the old board by the looks of it:

Is this GBS' final form?

So is this THE chinese board to buy or are these "stuff in a box" ones

better?
Or to be more precise is this worth the extra 20-30 bucks?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:10 am 

Looks like the might combine H & V into CSYNC too. Cool.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:35 am 

@PlebiusGoofus I think Bob from RetroRGB will be getting the orange one to check out, I'd probably wait for his review/opinion if you can. Certainly has the potential to be the best all in one!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:25 pm 

PlebiusGoofus wrote:
better?
Or to be more precise is this worth the extra 20-30 bucks?

I'd go for this one if I didn't already have a GBSC already, for a couple of reasons.

Extra inputs, I like to have an RCA connection for RGBS because not everyone used SCART and I prefer having inputs on one side and outputs on the back. Not a fan of plugging things in the side.

Just don't really like the open case design.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:53 pm 

And the VC9900 HDMI version?

I really don't need anything else than RGB>HDMI. I handle sound separately and don't mind the modding work but TBH if I could I would like to spend my time on something else... I just want a nice small solution and I really, really like the ESP and its WiFi connectivity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:58 pm 

Quote:
@PlebiusGoofus I think Bob from RetroRGB will be getting the orange one to check out, I'd probably wait for his review/opinion if you can. Certainly has the potential to be the best all in one!

I have one but haven't had a chance to test it and at this point, I'll wait for Bob to check it out first. Can say it's a solid case.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:22 am 

At the end I've ordered this one in the "standard" format. I'll report back with some pics and a review once I get it (I haven't seen any real info about this board anywhere).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:31 pm 

Hey guys. I got a GBS-C and using 240p suite on the Genesis I noted that it doesn't integer scale to exactly 4x on 1920x1080, at least the default setting. I'm trying to use the size adjustment but cant seen to get the full square pixels on any position. How should I proceed to achieve 4x integer scale, do you guys can help me?

(sorry for my english, I'm from Brazil. Thanks in advance, guys)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152