Best Digital to analog converter \ with or without RGB Mod

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
allenb

Best Digital to analog converter \ with or without RGB Mod

Post by allenb »

I have read that many are having success with either displayport or hdmi DAC (digital to analog converters) to either vga or component outputs.

I saw Calamity's post http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... msg1667374 that mentioned this may be a viable alternative.

For now, I just wanted to try running to both an old multisync montor and trinitron TV.

I have seen recommendations for the delock displayport adapter and portta hdmi adapter.

1. Is there a preferred DAC for this purpose?
2. Is HDMI or displayport better?
3. On the trinitron, I see 3 options. I don't think an RGB mod will add anything additional, but am willing to do it if it will significantly improve quality.
Should I get one that goes HDMI --> component, I think these may only output specific resolutions (480i) that would work. This would be the easiest
Displayport or HDMI to VGA with VGA to component transcoder (which appears to require VGA to SCART cable) or perform RGB mod
4. Forget DAC and find a video card that will output analog directly
kitty666cats

Re: Best Digital to analog converter \ with or without RGB M

Post by kitty666cats »

Displayport to VGA is more ideal for VGA PC CRTs and not consumer CRTs. HDMI to VGAs are awesome and will take any resolution you throw at them, they've got no issues with 240p (or at least the Portta w/ external PSU!). There's also the HDMI to YPbPr that Mike Chi recommends, that one is absolutely awesome for the cheap price (even cheaper than that Portta, which is also cheap).

The ones Mike Chi discovered to be awesome are the ones in a metal case with a slightly curved 'roof', most are black but there's some silver-y ones too.

allenb

Post by allenb »

kitty666cats wrote:Displayport to VGA is more ideal for VGA PC CRTs and not consumer CRTs. HDMI to VGAs are awesome and will take any resolution you throw at them, they've got no issues with 240p (or at least the Portta w/ external PSU!). There's also the HDMI to YPbPr that Mike Chi recommends, that one is absolutely awesome for the cheap price (even cheaper than that Portta, which is also cheap).

The ones Mike Chi discovered to be awesome are the ones in a metal case with a slightly curved 'roof', most are black but there's some silver-y ones too.

I appreciate the feedback. Is there a difference in ability to sync resolutions through yPbPr vs RGB to a consumer set or is it just a slight color improvement?

I tried a different HDMI to yPbPr, but the one I had found only synced 480i from the selectable resolution buttons.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I have this generic sorta one and the Portta. I haven't done any testing, but from everything I've read, the Portta is meant to be the standard.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I forgot to mention - you're probably going to want some sort of RGB interface/sync combiner (like an Extron unit) to change the 15kHz RGBHV into RGBS!
svcoco

Post by svcoco »

I have had no luck with one of those cheap converters when trying to convert HDMI 240p from a Raspberry Pi3 to YPbPr, it's only working with 480p,720p and 1080i I think is a gamble when buying these things

BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

HD Fury 2 can output both RGB and YPbPr, but I don't know if it can do 320x240. That said I'm still unaware of any DACs than can output 320x240 with multiplying the horizontal to something like 2560.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Sorry to bump this old-ass thread, but I figured there was no point in starting a new one. Anyone have any recommendations for a DAC that isn't from the list of usual suspects? I purchased two from the recommended RetroRGB list and both are finnicky. Ideally, I wanted to be able to run my Top Loader NES modded with the Kevtris HDMI board into my Tink5x so I could use the new awesome scanlines. I've set the NES HDMI to 640x480, which worked great when I first hooked it up to the Tink5X. (Yes, I saved my resolution settings in the NES HDMI menu). I played for several hours. When I came back a few days later to play, I turned everything on and didn't get a picture but instead, just got awful audio noise and static coming through my speakers and no picture, with the Tink5X saying there was no signal. After dicking around with the cables and unplugging the DAC a few times, I got picture again and played fine for a few hours. Both DACs seem to do this same thing. I was going to blame the HDMI NES, but I decided to try both DACs on my Gamecube with the Carby and they exhibited the same behavior. They'd work one day and then not work another. I suppose it's possible that both DACs are defective or have faulty soldering or something. (I opened both and they both looked fine on the PCB). So I just don't know what to do. So many people buy both of these models and claim they work great, but both of mine are acting goofy with both my HDMI NES and Gamecube. I really didn't think using a DAC should or would be this hard. I'd gladly pay a premium for a DAC that I knew was quality. I know these cheap ones can constantly be getting revisions or changing parts.

I've tried the typical Porta DAC and the one with the metal housing that was posted above. It's weird because when the Porta decides to work with the Tink5X, it works terrific and looks unbelievable! But, then I come back a day later and it gives no picture and just squeals with static out of the speakers. I've tried with my new revision Everdrive Pro, I've tried with real NES carts, I've tried different HDMI cables... I'm just at a loss and so frustrated. :? I'm about ready to trade my HDMI NES for an RGB Modded one, but that just seems so stupid and unnecessary.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Are you using the Portta’s external PSU / have you tried a different PSU aside from the cheapy one that comes with it?
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

kitty666cats wrote:Are you using the Portta’s external PSU / have you tried a different PSU aside from the cheapy one that comes with it?
Unfortunately, the Portta has a barrel plug and I don't have any adapters with the same size plug and rating. I'll have to dig around and see. I played around a bit more and it seems that if I move the green cable around on component, that's when picture issues start to come in and out. Does sync ride on the green cable in component? I can't recall. I guess, maybe that would explain picture cutting out or not showing up.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

TooBeaucoup wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Are you using the Portta’s external PSU / have you tried a different PSU aside from the cheapy one that comes with it?
Unfortunately, the Portta has a barrel plug and I don't have any adapters with the same size plug and rating. I'll have to dig around and see. I played around a bit more and it seems that if I move the green cable around on component, that's when picture issues start to come in and out. Does sync ride on the green cable in component? I can't recall. I guess, maybe that would explain picture cutting out or not showing up.
Yep, green is the luminance/the B+W and carries sync as well.