Sega Genesis controller for shmups

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

Sega Genesis controller for shmups

Post by shmupsrocks »

I'm going to order an Analogue Mega Sg and need two controllers for shmups. I think the Mega Sg and original Sega Genesis use DB9 controllers so can I use any DB9 controller? Which is the best one for shmups?
Fudoh

Re: Sega Genesis controller for shmups

Post by Fudoh »

8bitdo M30. 2.4GHz version with included DB9 receiver dongle to use on the Mega SG.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

I should have said I'm looking for a wired controller.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Yeah it has DB9 ports so you can use original controllers. Hard to go wrong with a Japanese-style 6 button pad, or the US one with a slightly larger grip- both are very close to a Saturn controller. I think Retro-Bit has them new for $15 with DB9's too.

Don't get the weird 6 button pad that came out around the Genesis 3 era though. Terrible D-Pad on that.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

I'm looking for an arcade style controller so can I use a Neo Geo DB9 controller like the Hori Fighting Stick?

If not I should probably stick to a real Genesis controller like the Arcade Power Stick?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Neo Geo AES uses a DA-15 port that has each wire directly connected to a button.

Brook has a PS3/PS4 to PC Engine/Genesis converter if you have a modern stick. Otherwise it would be an original controller or a padhack + stick I'm pretty sure.

If I'm remembering right the Japanese Mega Drive sticks are microswitched and the US ones aren't.

Other converter options could be 8bitdo's retro receiver for Genesis, or Raphnet has a SNES to Genesis adapter.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Bratwurst here on the forums also makes a NeoGeo to Genesis adapter, I have it and it's pretty convenient. Seems it's only available when he has enough demand to make a batch, though: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65718
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Are SNES arcade sticks better than Genesis?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

As a general rule, nothing from that era was really good. If you're only looking for sticks, take the suggestion above and run something modern through a Genesis adapter. If not, the standard Sega 6-button arcade pads are excellent, and much more economical. The Retro-Bit reissues (Genesis, wired) are pretty much interchangeable as well.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

Fudoh wrote:8bitdo M30. 2.4GHz version with included DB9 receiver dongle to use on the Mega SG.
These don't seem to be available anymore. Any word on when/if there will be a restock?

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Wireless- ... 1XFQW?th=1
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Sargon wrote:
Fudoh wrote:8bitdo M30. 2.4GHz version with included DB9 receiver dongle to use on the Mega SG.
These don't seem to be available anymore. Any word on when/if there will be a restock?

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Wireless- ... 1XFQW?th=1
Wonder if they're pushing the bluetooth version exclusively now, it's still available.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

https://www.amazon.com/M30-2-4G-Wireles ... 685&sr=8-5

???

I don't personally recommend these over the original Sega design, regardless. But you'll get different opinions depending on who chimes in,.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

shmupsrocks wrote:Are SNES arcade sticks better than Genesis?
I think the Hori HSJ-12 is decent, it's got a micro switched stick and can be easily modded with a better stick like Seimitsu.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

As for a pad, the 6 button US pads are GREAT. Kinda similar to Saturn pads. They're great for all Genesis games, really, not only Shmups.
I'd avoid the Asian/Japanese versions, unless you have very small hands.
azmun

Post by azmun »

Gunstar wrote:
shmupsrocks wrote:Are SNES arcade sticks better than Genesis?
I think the Hori HSJ-12 is decent, it's got a micro switched stick and can be easily modded with a better stick like Seimitsu.
Got a few of these and can definitely vouch for their quality.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Capcom sold such a Power Arcade Stick for both SFC/SNES & MD/Genesis consoles back in 1992-1993. The SNES Power Arcade Stick even has an optional cable that can be used with an NES console as well (with 4-way digital stick mode enabled). As usual, all Power Arcade Sticks are microswitched from the ground up & recommend getting one new or in super mint condition.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

That Capcom Power Stick also came with an obscure Capcom system called the CPS Changer. It was essentially a supergun with composite output combined with SNES style control ports. The games were basically modified CPS arcade PCBs designed to be compatible with the adapter.

I got wind of its existence as a kid back in the day and wrote a letter to Capcom asking how to get one and never heard back. It was available Mail order only and more than likely only in Japan. If only I had gotten one the thing is probably worth a mint today.

Regarding your shmup controller for Sega Genesis. If you have soldering skills and really want the best experience, just find any good arcade stick and pad hack a spare genesis controller for the good results.

For a pad, not sure about current availability, but I heard good things about the krikzz joyzz controller for genesis.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Power Arcade Stick... Is that different than the Arcade Power Stick?

https://segaretro.org/Arcade_Power_Stick
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah lol. Despite the almost identical names this one was by Capcom.

https://segaretro.org/Capcom_Power_Stick_Fighter_MD

The SNES version had a dark grey housing instead of white.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

The Sega Arcade Power Stick is good to get for an external padhack (custom arcade stick connected by a custom cable to the Arcade Power Stick) if you can find a cheap/broken one, I ironically got a boxed US one for 500 yen in Japan years ago.

It's got common ground and plenty of places to solder wires other than directly below the button membranes, so the stick can still be perfectly functional after the padhack. Plus the turbo switches will still work with the padhack, unlike the turbo switches on certain pads like a TG16/PCE pad.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Does anyone offer padhacks either complete or as a service?
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Padhacking is some of the easiest (and safest) soldering you can do, and a cheap iron, solder, and flux would be cheaper than sending a stick back and forth and paying someone to do it.