RetroTINK 5x-Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Josh128

Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro

Post by Josh128 »

According to Reddit and AVSForums, the BX/CX/C1/GX/G1 OLEDs do support the 1440p mode. Ive been researching lately because my trigger finger is getting very itchy for a 48" C1.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... JZalROZWl3
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

LG appears to be getting ready to launch a 42" C2 next year, seeing as how they accidentally put up a product page for it briefly before pulling it down.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

WobblingPixels wrote:does the oled lg c1 or cx support 1440p mode of the R5x?
I have a CX and can confirm 1440p works perfectly from the RT5X.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

EnragedWhale wrote:
Question for you-- can you use the low lag 120Hz mode for 60Hz content, such as with a 5X? Its something Ive never seen any review directly address. For example, can you play SNES on it in 120Hz BFI mode or just straight frame doubled mode? Really would like to answer this because Im considering an A1 vs a C1 for a bedroom set. A1 lacks 120Hz and Freesync/VRR but thats about it. Can you please answer this and give your experience of it?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

They don't ever label it as such, it's just that in the latency setting in game mode there is an entry for "boost".
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

"Boost" puts the panel in 120Hz mode for 60Hz content? Is the choice to enable BFI separate from that?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

AFAIK that's how boost mode shaves off those extra 3-4ms of latency. I believe BFI is disabled when boost mode is on?

RTINGS explanation:
There's a new setting for 2021 models found in the Game Optimizer menu, called Prevent Input Delay. There are two options: 'Standard' and 'Boost'. We ran several input lag tests and found that the 'Boost' setting consistently lowers the input lag by about 3ms when the TV is running 60Hz compared to the LG CX OLED. It works by sending a 120Hz signal to refresh the screen more frequently, so it doesn't affect 120Hz input lag. The published results are what we measured using the 'Boost' setting. On 'Standard', we measured 13.1ms for 1080p @ 60Hz, 13.4ms for 1440p @ 60Hz, and 13.0ms for 4k @ 60Hz.
For comparison, the C1 gets around 10ms in boost mode versus around 13ms in standard mode. Latency with native 120Hz is 5-6ms.

They say this about BFI:
To enable BFI, first set TruMotion to 'User Selection', then set OLED Motion Pro to 'High' for 60Hz content, or 'Low' or 'Medium' for 120Hz content. You can also set the BFI to flicker at 120Hz for 60Hz if you wish, although it may result some image duplication.

In 'Game Optimizer' mode, the settings are the same, but note that you can't enable BFI if you have Prevent Input Delay set to 'Boost'. Unfortunately, you can't enable BFI in 'PC' mode.
I see people reporting BFI working in PC mode on the C1, though, so they may have fixed that in a firmware update? I haven't tried. Perhaps RTINGS was also confused by having VRR enabled? That also disables BFI.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Just out of curiosity I fed my Switch into the Portta component converter then the 5X to see what I could accomplish with Metroid Dread on my 1440p monitor. Setting the Switch output to 480p, you can get perfect 16:9 with great scanlines on the 1440p! Despite the rather cool look, I found that 480p kills too much of the detail to continue using that mode, so I set the Switch to 720p, hoping for some 720p+scanline goodness. While the mode works, the 5X is not able to linedouble the 720p signal, it just basically passes it through. All the options for changing output res and scanlines were not changeable, which was disappointing. Would have been mighty cool though. I guess we'll have to wait for the next gen of scalers to get 720p and 1080p stuff going.

I hate non-integer upscaling. :mrgreen:
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Josh128 wrote:
EnragedWhale wrote:
Question for you-- can you use the low lag 120Hz mode for 60Hz content, such as with a 5X? Its something Ive never seen any review directly address. For example, can you play SNES on it in 120Hz BFI mode or just straight frame doubled mode? Really would like to answer this because Im considering an A1 vs a C1 for a bedroom set. A1 lacks 120Hz and Freesync/VRR but thats about it. Can you please answer this and give your experience of it?
Sorry but I have a CX that doesn’t have the 120hz boost mode. BFI works very well but as always is pretty dark.
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

EnragedWhale wrote:
What happens when you play the start up to Castlevania Bloodlines if you're able? I'm interested in knowing if it drops signal.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I just got one of these last night. Thrilled with it so far but I noticed the Genesis/MD is shifted to the right a bit to much in 1440p. I'm assuming this is not fixable via the 5X itself?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
QuantumGuitar

Post by QuantumGuitar »

So, I've just gotten the 5x and have only tested it with my Basic RGB modded N64 and RGC RGBs 470 Ohm attenuated SCART cables and it looks really great, but I'm seeing some weird artifacts on the right side with 1080p (under) with generic 4:3 (and 720p w/ generic 16:9). I'm also seeing a shift of the image to the right with 1080p (over) (which is annoying for anamorphic widescreen content, cutting things off more on the right than left). Has anyone seen any of this before?
You can see some pics here:(https://twitter.com/Quantum_Bass/status ... 0681585664)
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

eightbitminiboss wrote:
EnragedWhale wrote:
What happens when you play the start up to Castlevania Bloodlines if you're able? I'm interested in knowing if it drops signal.
Is there a known issue with bloodlines?

I’ll check it out ASAP but it may be the weekend before I get chance.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I just put in Bloodlines and had no issue.
Last edited by Strider77 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Just tried 5 mins of Bloodlines and I couldn’t see any issue @1440p on my LG CX.

Happy to do more testing if there is something I should be looking for?
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

Bloodlines I think has an interlaced mode for the map before each level starts? Regardless, on CX I get no cutouts.

BFI works super well on the CX. You can boost the brightness (can't remember the setting name) if you wish by using https://github.com/Maassoft/ColorContro ... /README.md. It allows you to enable a backlight boost setting to low, medium, or high which gives you ~+50, +100, or +150nits respectfully. This makes BFI + scanlines on RT5x look great. Works amazingly with the mister too.

BFI with 60hz content works well as it will just give you a black frame every other frame. The motion resolution is ALMOST CRT-like. It's not exact but it's close. Use 240p test suite to see this. Have BFI off and use the scroll test. Look at the mountains in the background as you increase the scrolling speed. You'll see the mountains blur to ~3 wide. When you have BFI enabled you'll be able to see the mountain peak pretty clearly without little to no blur. If you have a CRT test it on there as well as a control. It's pretty amazing and adds a lot to the feel of the games. Only down side if you increase input latency by ~6ms I believe it is. Just under half a frame. Not ideal for competition play but you're looking at ~18ms using RT5X, BFI, on a CX. Not bad for end to end latency unless you're speed running or something.
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

EnragedWhale wrote:
Is there a known issue with bloodlines?

I’ll check it out ASAP but it may be the weekend before I get chance.
Just me and whoever else in this thread that has a particular LG monitor. Was just curious if it happened on LG OLEDs, thanks for checking.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

PearlJammzz wrote:Bloodlines I think has an interlaced mode for the map before each level starts? Regardless, on CX I get no cutouts.

BFI works super well on the CX. You can boost the brightness (can't remember the setting name) if you wish by using https://github.com/Maassoft/ColorContro ... /README.md. It allows you to enable a backlight boost setting to low, medium, or high which gives you ~+50, +100, or +150nits respectfully. This makes BFI + scanlines on RT5x look great. Works amazingly with the mister too
I guess this has a negative effect on panel life though? Increases risk of burn in?
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

EnragedWhale wrote:
PearlJammzz wrote:Bloodlines I think has an interlaced mode for the map before each level starts? Regardless, on CX I get no cutouts.

BFI works super well on the CX. You can boost the brightness (can't remember the setting name) if you wish by using https://github.com/Maassoft/ColorContro ... /README.md. It allows you to enable a backlight boost setting to low, medium, or high which gives you ~+50, +100, or +150nits respectfully. This makes BFI + scanlines on RT5x look great. Works amazingly with the mister too
I guess this has a negative effect on panel life though? Increases risk of burn in?
Maybe, but it is probably offset by the pixels being turned off completely every other frame. So you increase the brightness, but halve the amount of time the pixels are actually active. I imagine BFI without brightness compensation actually decreases the burn in risk and increases the life of the panel, but I'm not an expert.
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

EnragedWhale wrote:

No, not at all. SDR content goes up to what, 150 nits or something? The boost essentially throws more brightness/backlight at the problem in a way similar to how HDR works. It's just that we aren't feeding an HDR signal so the TV normally wouldn't try to give the image extra nits. This setting just does that.

So technically, sure, but it's also driving the panel more in the same way as playing HDR content does. So yes it drives the panel more but not any more than playing a HDR movie or game does which is to say it's perfectly safe.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

OLEDs dont have a backlight. What do you mean it turns the backlight on? Surely its just overdriving the OLED pixels.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

PearlJammzz wrote:
EnragedWhale wrote:

No, not at all. SDR content goes up to what, 150 nits or something? The boost essentially throws more brightness/backlight at the problem in a way similar to how HDR works. It's just that we aren't feeding an HDR signal so the TV normally wouldn't try to give the image extra nits. This setting just does that.

So technically, sure, but it's also driving the panel more in the same way as playing HDR content does. So yes it drives the panel more but not any more than playing a HDR movie or game does which is to say it's perfectly safe.
I’m not convinced. In HDR mode the whole image isn’t really brighter, depending on the tone mapping it’s sometimes darker but of course with much brighter highlights. Whatever way you look at it you are driving the panel harder, not something I’ll be rushing to do on a expensive TV still in warranty.
IrelandOfEndor

Post by IrelandOfEndor »

Howdy friends, is anyone using their 5x with their sega genesis and seeing colored borders which aren't being cropped? I've tried a variety of resolutions and sampling modes, and it's happening for many games, though I'm not seeing anything similar on my NES or SNES. It almost seems like the 5x is sampling a pixel at the border of the output and filling the border with it. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

What we need is one of these scalers or an additional device that will flag the output as HDR and also boost all colors adequately to high nits levels in the HDR signal so that these consoles can actually look like they do on a CRT when enabling scanlines.
dojima

Post by dojima »

Some very exciting stuff in the works:

https://twitter.com/retrotink2/status/1 ... 0527536129
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Can you summarize? Twitter blocked here at the office! :mrgreen:
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Hi. I was just wondering about the possibility of there being a D-Sub 15-Pin version of the RT5X for those of us who prefer that format over Scart. Also, I wanted to know about proper H-Sampling for the Super Game Boy/Super Game Boy 2 and the N64’s Transfer Pak for the Pokémon games.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Odolwa wrote:Hi. I was just wondering about the possibility of there being a D-Sub 15-Pin version of the RT5X for those of us who prefer that format over Scart. Also, I wanted to know about proper H-Sampling for the Super Game Boy/Super Game Boy 2 and the N64’s Transfer Pak for the Pokémon games.
Here you go, problem solved: https://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=2 ... how_detail
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Josh128 wrote:Can you summarize? Twitter blocked here at the office! :mrgreen:
He's been working on a new OSD (if you didn't already see that) and as of this post is bringing in free zooming and cropping as well as a new polyphase scaler implementation that keeps scanlines from aliasing at non-integer scaling factors.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Thanks, knew about the OSD but not the new scaling options.