shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:11 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 286, 287, 288, 289, 290  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:19 am 

kitty666cats wrote:
...anyone? I have asked about this several places with no input, lol. I emailed R.A. but I doubt I will hear back

It's hard to say for certain what's going on, especially with the dim-picture result you're getting. However, the AC coupling capacitor on the sync line is going to have the effect of making most of the sync pulse itself a negative voltage, and I suspect that's what's tripping up some of your devices. If you can somehow finagle a diode between ground and the C-sync line after the capacitor, you can change this.

Click the switch on and off in this simulator and look at what happens to the signal. The diode provides DC restoration, and I'm pretty sure that this is exactly what devices like the LM1881 have built into them.

I built my own Saturn cable, and what I remember about the Saturn's C-sync is that it's simply 5Vp-p (or something near that) which, if connected directly to an input that terminates in 75 ohms, results in a concerning level of current being drawn. This is where an in-series resistor, which both divides the voltage and limits current, would come in. However, many devices don't terminate sync with 75 ohms but rather something like 510, so it's not strictly necessary.

Throwing AC coupling capacitors on sync lines seems like a bad idea in general to me. Maybe some systems have a big DC bias in their C-sync signals, but if the thing receiving the sync isn't set up to do a DC restore, it won't work. Not with a negative-going sync pulse.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:48 am 

SamIAm MkII wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
...anyone? I have asked about this several places with no input, lol. I emailed R.A. but I doubt I will hear back

It's hard to say for certain what's going on, especially with the dim-picture result you're getting. However, the AC coupling capacitor on the sync line is going to have the effect of making most of the sync pulse itself a negative voltage, and I suspect that's what's tripping up some of your devices. If you can somehow finagle a diode between ground and the C-sync line after the capacitor, you can change this.

Click the switch on and off in this simulator and look at what happens to the signal. The diode provides DC restoration, and I'm pretty sure that this is exactly what devices like the LM1881 have built into them.

I built my own Saturn cable, and what I remember about the Saturn's C-sync is that it's simply 5Vp-p (or something near that) which, if connected directly to an input that terminates in 75 ohms, results in a concerning level of current being drawn. This is where an in-series resistor, which both divides the voltage and limits current, would come in. However, many devices don't terminate sync with 75 ohms but rather something like 510, so it's not strictly necessary.

Throwing AC coupling capacitors on sync lines seems like a bad idea in general to me. Maybe some systems have a big DC bias in their C-sync signals, but if the thing receiving the sync isn't set up to do a DC restore, it won't work. Not with a negative-going sync pulse.

Hmm, of note - the cable works fine on my presentation monitor... and everything on said monitor's 15kHz RGB input is fed through one of these X-Vue Gamma Boosts (adjusting when I see fit, the device really shines most chained after a HDMI to VGA on 31+kHz though. But I also own an X-Vue Box1020 which definitely has a better Gamma adjustment circuit):

http://www.curtpalme.com/GammaX.shtm

...it has a switch on it for forced negative sync (and if sync is already negative, it's passed through). This got me thinking 'what if I try chaining the Gamma Boost *before* the Extron interface/GBSControl'. I'd be a little bit hesitant using the thing on the input of a GBS board (seems like a much better idea putting it on the output end), but not so much with an Extron interface. The unit I have specifically is a Extron RGB 164xi. It's one of the units that you have to open up/adjust jumpers if you want serration pulse removal or forced negative sync.

I guess I have a lot of things I could try w/ the Extron, heh. But it really woulda been nice not having to deal with any of this at all... *really* wish they made it clear that the Saturn cable would have that capacitor, their only disclaimer (as far as I remember) is that every custom RGB cable will have a 470ohm resistor in it unless you ask.

u_u;

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:25 pm 

Question that doesn't deserve a thread because one probably exists and I'm hoping to be pointed there.

Looking for a TV or monitor recommendation that fits these specs:
* Somewhere in the 24-36" range
* Can be tated
* Plays nice with OSSC
* 16:9
* Low latency

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:25 am 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a desoldering gun or other device? I've tried those flimsy pumps and wick and I don't get good results. Unfortunately I have lifted some solder pads from too much heat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:42 am 

Guile wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a desoldering gun or other device? I've tried those flimsy pumps and wick and I don't get good results. Unfortunately I have lifted some solder pads from too much heat.
I've you've got the means, the Hakko is the best around. Very pricey but pays for itself in speed and reliability.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:38 pm 

ldeveraux wrote:
I've you've got the means, the Hakko is the best around. Very pricey but pays for itself in speed and reliability.

Do you need to do anything with the power source on that? I saw some people say the voltage is different because it's set for Japanese power sources.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:15 pm 

Guile wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

Do you need to do anything with the power source on that? I saw some people say the voltage is different because it's set for Japanese power sources.

I bought it off Amazon. You plug it in and use it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:53 pm 

hello

is there any real application or demand for 1080p analog video? like component or RGB.. in this retro gaming scene. cuz most stuff like CRTs and so on are capped at 1080i
PS1 fat teardown

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:00 pm 

VEGETA wrote:
hello

is there any real application or demand for 1080p analog video? like component or RGB.. in this retro gaming scene. cuz most stuff like CRTs and so on are capped at 1080i

Projectors, for one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:38 pm 

kitty666cats wrote:
VEGETA wrote:
hello

Projectors, for one.

so people play on projectors these days?

All I know is that HD CRTs are about 1080i, some PC CRTs can go to 1920x1440 or so but I am not sure.
PS1 fat teardown

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:11 am 

VEGETA wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
VEGETA wrote:
hello

Projectors, for one.

so people play on projectors these days?

All I know is that HD CRTs are about 1080i, some PC CRTs can go to 1920x1440 or so but I am not sure.

No, that was just one example. CRT projectors aren't some big thing right now, they are just a good example of very high resolution compatible analog equipment. Almost *any* PC CRT that is 19" or more from ~mid 90s and beyond can display 1080p. There are also tons of TVs that support 1080p via component and VGA but may not necessarily have HDMI inputs (many Plasmas for example)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:56 pm 

Hello,

anyone tried or want 4k60 scalers? right now only Extron stuff exist such as this one: https://www.extron.com/product/dschdhd4k and the rest.

is 4k60 scalers worth such a price? I mean 1k$ or even at 800$.
PS1 fat teardown

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:10 pm 

I have the DSC HD-HD 4K Plus A. Really nice machine, but I doubt that any gamers would have some real use for it. It performs really good, but so do the majority of TVs. Very hard to justify the price.

It does save a lot of time when you do 1080p/1200p/1440p captures and want to upscale to 4K into a live 4K streaming or re-capture setup though.

The DSC 401 is rather new and I haven't tried that one yet. The HD-HD (basically the predecessor to the 401) was heavily scaled down in terms of features (e.g. in terms of free aspect ratio control). Don't know yet, if the 401 is following the 301 here or the HD-HD instead.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:02 pm 

I bet you have retro scalers like OSSC and 5x, so what is the need for that expensive extron device which these scalers can't deliver?

how much both of these cost? I'd really like to see a good teardown of them to see what is inside.

it doesn't seem to have an official price shown. However, for approx. of 1500$ (ebay has a used one for 1700$) I don't think anyone would buy them especially that you would need another scaler with.

But what if they are priced at 700-800$ with analog video inputs? will this be a good price? I mean people buying framemeister for 1200$ now.

I saw DSC-301 on ebay for > 80$ or so, seems good but only up to 1080p or so.

I keep reading about modern TVs don't scale 720p\1080p very good, especially retro stuff with pixels... I don't know if it is in terms of input lag or just not so sharp. I don't have the knowledge nor the capabilities to test such claims and they are also contradicted by other people who say the exact opposite hhh.
PS1 fat teardown

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:37 pm 

Quote:
so what is the need for that expensive extron device which these scalers can't deliver?

as said, it's hard to justify those. Especially considering that current consumer OLEDs don't have true 444 RGB panels. In general a 4K scaler allows you to completely eliminate the display's processing. You basically move everything you want to control (like aspect ratio, over/underscan control) to an external device, which potentially does a better job than your TV (or monitor).

Quote:
how much both of these cost? I'd really like to see a good teardown of them to see what is inside.

The DSC 401 is too new to be found used on ebay. The 401 is $1200 EUR (all prices without vat), the 401A is $1700 EUR. The HD-HD 4K Plus A is $2500 and the xi is $4600. So the sub-$1000 price tag for the 4K Plus A on ebay isn't too bad (if you can make any use of them).

Quote:
But what if they are priced at 700-800$ with analog video inputs? will this be a good price? I mean people buying framemeister for 1200$ now.

you don't get any of the gaming features out of those. They won't properly handle 15khz (the 301 has TERRIBLE deinterlacing). External 4:4:4 processing and upscaling is still hard to find. The 5X does an excellent job now, but it still falling short when compared to a true 4:4:4 processing path. The OSSC is full 4:4:4, but it's limited to its line-multiplying output resolutions (so no 1080p from a 480p signal). And almost all home theater processors are 4:2:2 only anyway.

Quote:
I keep reading about modern TVs don't scale 720p\1080p very good, especially retro stuff with pixels... I don't know if it is in terms of input lag or just not so sharp. I don't have the knowledge nor the capabilities to test such claims

yeah? I guess you have eyes, so you can judge by yourself. But in general: even if TVs aren't perfect when uspcaling 720p or 1080p to 4K, it's still just a subtle difference. Coming from a low-res 240p signal I would say 90% of the quality comes from the initial processing and upscaling to 720p and just a mere 10% result from the secondary scaling to the display's native resolution.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:42 pm 

Quote:
current consumer OLEDs don't have true 444 RGB panels

first time I know this, but why? oleds should be the future technology. 4k oled tvs are +1000$ at least and yet no 444 processing?

Quote:
all prices without vat

huge prices! for sure retro gamers won't be getting them, I wonder who wants to!

Quote:
you don't get any of the gaming features out of those. They won't properly handle 15khz (the 301 has TERRIBLE deinterlacing).

my question was to assume they have proper analog video inputs and 15~31khz support like current scalers and tailored to retro gaming.. what price range is good enough? 700-800$? are people in your opinion ready to pay this price range?

actually, retro scalers are slowly increasing in their pricing as newer projects will cost more and more. can't complain when you want more power and features.

Quote:
The 5X does an excellent job now, but it still falling short when compared to a true 4:4:4 processing path.

People don't seem to be bothered when comparing this to its features I guess.

Quote:
The OSSC is full 4:4:4, but it's limited to its line-multiplying output resolutions

yes, but the pro will support custom resolutions. my biggest complain of ossc classic is the bob deinterlacing only option especially for 480i games but still a bargain for the price.

Quote:
yeah? I guess you have eyes, so you can judge by yourself.

I don't own such TVs yet and not really that interested. I wrote this to say how amazed I am to see people say the exact opposite opinion on the same issue while both tested and verified their results... don't you see it interesting?
PS1 fat teardown

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:07 am 

Fudoh wrote:
as said, it's hard to justify those. Especially considering that current consumer OLEDs don't have true 444 RGB panels.

This is nonsense. I just verified this on my LG C1 OLED by sending RTINGs' chroma subsampling test pattern (https://www.rtings.com/images/test-mate ... ma-444.png). I sent a 4K120 444 RGB 10bpp signal to it and there is no chroma subsampling happening. All the parts of the test pattern show full resolution.

Remember that while OLED TVs have an RGBW subpixel pattern, they have four subpixels per pixel. There is no pentile or other subpixel sharing going on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:25 am 

Guspaz wrote:
OLED TVs have an RGBW subpixel pattern, they have four subpixels per pixel. There is no pentile or other subpixel sharing going on.

I thought they had a BGRW subpixel pattern.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:07 pm 

Quote:
Remember that while OLED TVs have an RGBW subpixel pattern, they have four subpixels per pixel. There is no pentile or other subpixel sharing going on.

I know, but there was some limitation in place, which makes them inferior to JOLED's panels. Something about not all four subpixels used at the same time? So dark details are rendered at a higher resolution than light ones? I don't really recall. You can try that RTINGS pattern (but a 4K one, not a 1080p one) inverted (with a white background).

Last edited by Fudoh on Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:30 pm 

Any suggestions on buying a Raspberry PI 3 for MT32-Pi Hat v2.1?

These seem hard to find or quite expensive on eBay.

I found a couple PI 3's on Digikey, but the lead time is 20 weeks. Would that be the best way of getting one (even though it will be a long wait)?

Also, I don't know much about each model, but the PI 3 seems to have a better lead time than the 3 B+ and costs the same, but has a slower clock speed (1.2GH vs 1.4GH). Does it reall y matter which one I get?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:07 pm 

Issac Zachary wrote:

I found a couple PI 3's on Digikey, but the lead time is 20 weeks. Would that be the best way of getting one (even though it will be a long wait)?

Also, I don't know much about each model, but the PI 3 seems to have a better lead time than the 3 B+ and costs the same, but has a slower clock speed (1.2GH vs 1.4GH). Does it reall y matter which one I get?

The MT32-Pi Hat says it work with Raspberry Pi 3 or above. Why not get a RPi4?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:37 pm 

ldeveraux wrote:
Issac Zachary wrote:

Ya, I thought about that. But those are also hard to find and even more expensive.

On the other hand the PI 4 is only $10 more on Digikey and has a 12 week Lead Time instead of 20.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:43 pm 

strayan wrote:
Guspaz wrote:
OLED TVs have an RGBW subpixel pattern, they have four subpixels per pixel. There is no pentile or other subpixel sharing going on.

I thought they had a BGRW subpixel pattern.

Looking at some macro shots, it seems to be RWBG on the C1, but my point is not the specific arrangement, but that it has four separate subpixels for each pixel.

Fudoh wrote:
I know, but there was some limitation in place, which makes them inferior to JOLED's panels. Something about not all four subpixels used at the same time? So dark details are rendered at a higher resolution than light ones? I don't really recall. You can try that RTINGS pattern (but a 4K one, not a 1080p one) inverted (with a white background).

The only complaint about it that I've heard is that using the white subpixel to boost brightness compromises the saturation (the more light is coming from white, the less light can be specific to one colour), but that's a colour accuracy issue, not a resolution one. Even if it can't activate all the subpixels at the same time, as long as that decision is made independently per pixel, it's again an accuracy issue and not a resolution issue.

I replaced the background of the the RTINGS test image with white and took some macro shots. The pure white background actually appears to be mostly the white subpixel with a bit of red and green added. Blue text is 100% blue subpixel. Green text is 100% green subpixel. Red text is 100% red subpixel. Yellow text is 50% red and 50% green subpixel. Blue text seems to be 100% blue subpixel but that photo was a bit out of focus. Purple text was 100% red/blue. Cyan was mostly green and some blue. Grey text just dimmed the white subpixel (can't tell if there's any red/green left, not focused enough).

The text in the RTINGS test pattern is all full brightness colours, and none of them appeared to have any white subpixel included at all. I'm sure there are scenarios/colours that do include the white subpixel (it'd be pretty useless if that subpixel only worked for monochrome images), but in all cases the colour information was full resolution. However, because the aspect ratio of the pixels is so wide (just in the sense of having four subpixels in a horizontal row), and so big (this is a 77" TV), if you get real close to the screen it can look a bit odd. Like for the green text, it's shutting off the three subpixels to the left of the green one, so it almost looks like there's a dark shadow to the left of the green text. Of course, there isn't, it's just that 75% of the space of the pixel is black. The effect disappears as you get farther away, as you'd expect. Yellow also look a bit funky, almost like there's two double-images, but I really think this is just because I'm not used to how enormous subpixels get on a 77" screen, to the extent that they're visible to the naked eye without magnification. I realize that none of this matters when your face isn't a few inches away from a 77" TV, but it almost makes me think "Maybe 8K isn't so silly after all" :P

EDIT: The resolution of the test pattern isn't relevant because I'm displaying it at 1:1 pixel size. I'd disabled Windows scaling for this test.

EDIT 2: I'm not saying that RGBW isn't a compromise with downsides, only that it isn't impacting the actual chroma resolution. RGB would obviously be better for a variety of reasons. Samsung's QD-OLED panels reportedly present only RGB (they're all blue subpixels with quantom dots used to turn the blue light into red and green). The advantage being, no light lost to colour filters, so they don't need the white subpixel to compensate for the light blocked by the filters. Hopefully LG is also working on new OLED types because they can only push their current "more like an LCD with an OLED per-subpixel backlight" approach so far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:02 pm 

Issac Zachary wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Issac Zachary wrote:

Ya, I thought about that. But those are also hard to find and even more expensive.

On the other hand the PI 4 is only $10 more on Digikey and has a 12 week Lead Time instead of 20.

Eek, no kidding, I just checked my usual places and same story. Only place I even found them in stock is the PiHut:
https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b
https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry ... del-b-plus

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:52 pm 

Isn't the RP4's hardware incapable of correct super resolutions like they use for all the CRT-Pi builds with RGBS - or otherwise has some issue like that (unless they somehow fixed this and I haven't noticed)? --so people are still sticking with the RP3 for retro gaming type stuff (don't know how/if that applies to the Raspberry Pi being used as a mister add-on which I know nothing about... just thought I'd mention that).

Last edited by Dochartaigh on Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:43 pm 

I'm using a 4b in my cocktail and outputting through a cheap hdmi to s-video off amazon. It works. Strange thing is the converter has composite video as well and I don't get color with just the s-video without also plugging in that composite. Maybe the converter is junk. Right now there's not a lot I can do with the chip shortage happening and no decent solutions available. I'm still in the search for ways to set up the pi with s-video to where I can get a better picture. Lots of RGB or composite info. Not much about s-video and forget about composite.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:49 am 

ldeveraux wrote:
Eek, no kidding, I just checked my usual places and same story. Only place I even found them in stock is the PiHut:

Thanks! That's helpful!

I guess there must be some sort of chip shortage going on or something.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:12 pm 

Edgecrusher wrote:
I'm using a 4b in my cocktail and outputting through a cheap hdmi to s-video off amazon. It works. Strange thing is the converter has composite video as well and I don't get color with just the s-video without also plugging in that composite. Maybe the converter is junk. Right now there's not a lot I can do with the chip shortage happening and no decent solutions available. I'm still in the search for ways to set up the pi with s-video to where I can get a better picture. Lots of RGB or composite info. Not much about s-video and forget about composite.

Your best bet is most likely a RGB to S-Video - try Antonio Villena’s ( https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/ ) or linuxbot3000 on eBay if so. May need to chain a HDMI to VGA before one :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:08 pm 

Issac Zachary wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

Thanks! That's helpful!

I guess there must be some sort of chip shortage going on or something.

Yes. Until someone gets off their backside and unloads some shipping containers electronics will not be available like they were and even then they will probably be used up so quick we'll be out again waiting for the chinese to send us some more. So pathetic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:13 pm 

kitty666cats wrote:
Edgecrusher wrote:

Your best bet is most likely a RGB to S-Video - try Antonio Villena’s ( https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/ ) or linuxbot3000 on eBay if so. May need to chain a HDMI to VGA before one :(

I found linuxbots converter. Do you know if this is something I could hook up with vga and s-video cables to a PC or is there some wiring I'd have to do between the converter and the PC?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 286, 287, 288, 289, 290  Next