shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:47 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: MiSTer FPGA board
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:19 am 

What's a good quality HDMI cable to fit into my Mister FPGA? Retro Access lost her shipment of SCART and there's no telling when she'll get in more. I'm still going to get her VGA to SCART cable but for now it would be nice to get an HDMI cable so I can use the damn thing.

My I/O type is analog, I also have a Blisster, I hear the DE10 Nano takes a special type of HDMI what are those called? Once I get the name I'll scout around on Amazon since I'm a Prime member.

Sega Mega Drive's Master System Mode

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:29 am 

Rock Man wrote:
What's a good quality HDMI cable to fit into my Mister FPGA? Retro Access lost her shipment of SCART and there's no telling when she'll get in more. I'm still going to get her VGA to SCART cable but for now it would be nice to get an HDMI cable so I can use the damn thing.

My I/O type is analog, I also have a Blisster, I hear the DE10 Nano takes a special type of HDMI what are those called? Once I get the name I'll scout around on Amazon since I'm a Prime member.

You don't need anything fancy. Even an old 1.2 HDMI cable will do. I'd just get a monoprice one for low price but reliability.

If you need analog output you can just use direct mode via HDMI, and use a DAC. Some cheap DAC dongles are hit or miss though, but in general all will work well. If you want RGB it's more complicated because the DACs output RGBHV, so you'll need a way to combine the sync for most RGB monitors.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:24 am 

fernan1234 wrote:
Rock Man wrote:

You don't need anything fancy. Even an old 1.2 HDMI cable will do. I'd just get a monoprice one for low price but reliability.

If you need analog output you can just use direct mode via HDMI, and use a DAC. Some cheap DAC dongles are hit or miss though, but in general all will work well. If you want RGB it's more complicated because the DACs output RGBHV, so you'll need a way to combine the sync for most RGB monitors.

Would these be good?

https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Adapter-Fem ... 749&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter-E ... r=8-3&th=1

I'm not looking for any analog sound, I just want to connect and see if it works. As long as I'm getting sound period I'll rest easy, whatever basic HDMI audio will do for the time being. Same thing for video output. I realize I'll be outputting ypbpr signal or whatever the alternative is to RGB in HDMI. A mere place holder until I can get my SCART cable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:23 am 

Rock Man wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:
Rock Man wrote:

Would these be good?

https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Adapter-Fem ... 749&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter-E ... r=8-3&th=1

I'm not looking for any analog sound, I just want to connect and see if it works. As long as I'm getting sound period I'll rest easy, whatever basic HDMI audio will do for the time being. Same thing for video output. I realize I'll be outputting ypbpr signal or whatever the alternative is to RGB in HDMI. A mere place holder until I can get my SCART cable.

Is there a reason you need Micro HDMI? The MiSTER has a regular sized HDMI port on it so you can just about get any regular HDMI cable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:03 pm 

eightbitminiboss wrote:
Is there a reason you need Micro HDMI? The MiSTER has a regular sized HDMI port on it so you can just about get any regular HDMI cable.

Wow I'm dumb. I forgot the DE10 Nanos schematics confirmed the aforementioned HDMI port! For some strange reason I thought it needed the same type of HDMI as the Raspberry Pi. My bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:47 pm 

I highly recommend the Portta HDMI to VGA, it comes with an external PSU which is necessary for use with PS3/PS4 & the PSU also helps provide a more vibrant image in situations such as using an OSSC with scanlines activated. Also - no black crush (with or without the PSU)! I really wish the community would make it more clear that the Portta is much better than the Tendak for these reasons - especially now that there are some Tendak units out there with a different & inferior chipset than the older one featured on JunkerHQ.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O55U8K/re ... 6ZYHJKHQ0K

Use one of these in tandem with an Extron RGB interface for RGBHV -> RGBS and you’ll be all set for 15kHz for use on PVMs/video monitors. Though I do not own a MiSTER & forget if they indeed support 15kHz over HDMI…? I use this configuration with my Raspberry Pi 3B+, though! Just remember that Extron interfaces output TTL level sync voltage, so if you are outputting to some consumer-grade SCART gear/television with a BNC to male SCART re-wired with SCART as the *output* connector you’ll most likely want a 470ohm resistor for the sync! But if you are just going from the Extron interface straight into something like a PVM/video monitor, no need to worry about that resistor.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:10 pm 

Quote:
I highly recommend the Portta HDMI to VGA

yeah, that's my recommendation as well. But the Portta requires a limited range input to provide an output without black crush - which I always find a bit unintuitive for a HDMI to VGA converter. YCbCr should be fine as well of course. The limited range requirement might be dependent on the actual input resolution, but at least for 15khz input, it's a requirement.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:56 am 

Fudoh wrote:
Quote:

yeah, that's my recommendation as well. But the Portta requires a limited range input to provide an output without black crush - which I always find a bit unintuitive for a HDMI to VGA converter. YCbCr should be fine as well of course. The limited range requirement might be dependent on the actual input resolution, but at least for 15khz input, it's a requirement.

Interesting! That makes sense to me as I noticed everything seems much more colorful when using a Portta for 240p from a Raspberry Pi whilst the Pi is set to limited range. I don’t *think* this is the case with higher resolutions/frequencies on the Portta, though…? On my presentation monitor, PS3/PS4 set to RGB colorspace + full range 0-255 looks wonderful and all other settings seem noticeably inferior.

I still find myself quite curious about that ol’ HDFury Nano GX, but it’s nearly impossible to find for less than $80 USD and I know entirely well that it’s nothing special enough to warrant spending that much $, heh - plus, I already also own two separate devices that implement the same Gamma adjustment technology as the Nano GX, which I implement into chains for the 15kHz & 31+ kHz inputs of my presentation monitor (15k = RGBS fed through a X-Vue Gamma Boost aka HDFury GammaX / 31+k= X-Vue Box1020 passing through RGBHV)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:37 pm 

kitty666cats wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
Quote:

Interesting! That makes sense to me as I noticed everything seems much more colorful when using a Portta for 240p from a Raspberry Pi whilst the Pi is set to limited range. I don’t *think* this is the case with higher resolutions/frequencies on the Portta, though…? On my presentation monitor, PS3/PS4 set to RGB colorspace + full range 0-255 looks wonderful and all other settings seem noticeably inferior.

I still find myself quite curious about that ol’ HDFury Nano GX, but it’s nearly impossible to find for less than $80 USD and I know entirely well that it’s nothing special enough to warrant spending that much $, heh - plus, I already also own two separate devices that implement the same Gamma adjustment technology as the Nano GX, which I implement into chains for the 15kHz & 31+ kHz inputs of my presentation monitor (15k = RGBS fed through a X-Vue Gamma Boost aka HDFury GammaX / 31+k= X-Vue Box1020 passing through RGBHV)

I have the Portta, Tendak, HD Fury DVI, HD Fury Nano GX

Portta is probably the best bang for your buck and is bright and colorful enough for scanline use.
I have like 12 of these lol.

Tendak for me cuts out randomly for some reason. I have like 4 of those as well and all 4 seems to have this sort of symptom when using higher resolution like 720p and above.

HD Fury DVI is great

HD Fury Nano GX is great too. Has a gamma boost which helps when using scanlines. In terms of performance it looks almost identical to the Portta. The Gamma Boost is what makes this one shine.

But in terms of price you have an amazing option with the Portta.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:46 am 

https://www.amazon.com/Offline-Accessor ... NrPXRydWU=

Quick question, this plugs into the DE10 Nano right? I noticed there are less pins in the slot where this connects than there are holes in the actual clock module. Is there another type of CM I should get?

Fudoh wrote:
Quote:

Sounds good I'll hunt down that cable type.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:56 am 

Rock Man wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Offline-Accessories-Suitable-terasic-de10%E2%80%91Nano/dp/B08Q4C5SDN/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=real+time+clock+mister+fpga&qid=1622184002&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyOUtGTExVUjhHQkdTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTQ4NzM3MUZPMk4yTEdHRFZYSCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjY3MjU4MlVWOUs3NVZLQkwwVyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Quick question, this plugs into the DE10 Nano right? I noticed there are less pins in the slot where this connects than there are holes in the actual clock module. Is there another type of CM I should get?

Fudoh wrote:
Quote:

Sounds good I'll hunt down that cable type.

Yep, it's supposed to connect directly into the DE-10 Nano, however looking at reviews, it appears the maker possibly did not use the correct connector and is causing damage to the DE-10 Nano. Might want to look at dedicated MiSTer shops like MiSTer Addons. I should mention the RTC module doesn't hold too much value if your MiSTer connects to a network. It'll automatically update its time for use with cores that use RTC while it is on. The module is more useful if you never intend for it to be online.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:07 pm 

eightbitminiboss wrote:
Yep, it's supposed to connect directly into the DE-10 Nano, however looking at reviews, it appears the maker possibly did not use the correct connector and is causing damage to the DE-10 Nano. Might want to look at dedicated MiSTer shops like MiSTer Addons. I should mention the RTC module doesn't hold too much value if your MiSTer connects to a network. It'll automatically update its time for use with cores that use RTC while it is on. The module is more useful if you never intend for it to be online.

Thanks for the warning. If only I came back here 20 minutes later instead of installing the module in that time frame. I could've saved myself a lot of grief! Before reading this I went on ahead and plugged the thing it destroyed the housing for that LTC connector on my DE10 Nano. :evil: :evil: :evil: I was also tired and groggy and just wanted the thing to be assembled already. I've had all the parts to this thing for months, without being able to connect for different reasons (slow mail, cable shortages, etc.)

The first hour I tried to push it in I realized something was wrong... I did wind up seeing those reviews from Amazon and figured "maybe if I line it up perfectly then it'll work!" I lined it up and it looked like it would fit--NOPE! Exploded the outter casing of said connector. I'm not buying anymore Mister crap from Amazon. I usually order my stuff from Mister co uk but last time I ordered there Customs held my stuff for like a month. Then I wasn't sure if Mister Addons was another website based in a place outside the US or what. If I order USPS inside the US or order from Amazon shit comes fast! I wanted a solution quickly but it caused some damage like you said, fuck me. :x I will remember this lesson.

The thing didn't even come with a battery useless!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:09 pm 

Misteraddons is US based. It actually shipped from Maryland, the same state I live in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:17 pm 

BrianC wrote:
Misteraddons is US based. It actually shipped from Maryland, the same state I live in.

I know that now going forward, I'm ordering exclusively from them now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:50 pm 

Got my hands on the filters in the test build from a friend and they look amazing, very close to a consumer Trinitron grille (ignore the red arrow lol)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:47 pm 

What jamma conversion pcb is recommended with a MISTer setup?

I've noticed that the Irken Labs produced "Jamma Expander" is one of the more elegant 3rd-party jamma adapters (aside from the Mister Add-ons made MISTercade pcb pre-orders which are currently sold out). How's the ease of use & functionality of both aforementioned MISTer jamma adapters?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10