Help with Lifted Pad on SNES Jr

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dekky

Help with Lifted Pad on SNES Jr

Post by Dekky »

I finished a full recap and install of Voultar's RGB Amp and tested the console with Donkey Kong Country 2 and it loaded and booted just fine. Was amazing to see the new colors and vibrate picture but afterwards I went to install the C11 capacitor for the ghosting fix. I had a little trouble getting it soldered on and without realizing it I believe I lifted the lower pad, or possibly both. I believed the capacitor was soldered in and attempted to test it again but got a black screen. I know for sure the lower pad connecting C11 to what I believe is ground is lifted. Can I bypass these pads? And if so where should I tap into for a .47uf capacitor to get my console working again? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
thebigcheese

Re: Help with Lifted Pad on SNES Jr

Post by thebigcheese »

Pictures would be helpful for troubleshooting, but generally, if you lift a pad, just figure out what it was connected to before and run a wire there instead. So you'd leave the capacitor where it's at, connect the lifted end to a wire, and connect the other end of the wire to wherever that trace originally went. I've had to do that a few times in various PCE mods, those traces are ridiculously fragile (and I was probably a bit careless).
Dekky

Re: Help with Lifted Pad on SNES Jr

Post by Dekky »

I spent some time studying the schematics and found some helpful pictures of a bare SNES Jr board with no silkscreen so I could follow the traces, the pad I lifted goes to ground so should be ok with just soldering it straight to ground. Waiting for some new caps as the little 0603 cap slipped out of my tweezers, across the room and lost to the void of the carpet.