PS2 Everdrive using real hardware

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
teerazzler

PS2 Everdrive using real hardware

Post by teerazzler »

I am looking for an everdrive that is something like the recent PS1 xstation, but for the PS2, does such a thing exist? I have searched and can’t seem to find anything except for emulators for the PC or original Xbox. I am wanting to play on original hardware and load up the PS2 harddrive or sd card or whichever the storage medium is used with the majority of the PS2 library. If someone could direct me to the best option for this (if it exists yet) I would be most grateful. Thanks!
Fudoh

Re: PS2 Everdrive using real hardware

Post by Fudoh »

You just need a PS2 compatible with the storage medium you want to use. If you have a fat PS2, you get a HDD adapter plus a matching converter (for a 2.5" SSD or a for an SD card), then you install HDLoader and that's it.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Or its even better successor, OPL (Open PS2 Loader).

Cybdyn Systems, the makers of the PSIO, are apparently working on a traditional PS2 ODE, but it'll be a good while before it's ready.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Yes, as said use OPL. Preferably with a fat and an HDD, as USB generally has more compatibility issues and ethernet means you're tethered even more than you already are. Dev builds can be found on PSX-Place I believe.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

NormalFish wrote:Yes, as said use OPL. Preferably with a fat and an HDD, as USB generally has more compatibility issues and ethernet means you're tethered even more than you already are. Dev builds can be found on PSX-Place I believe.
Awesome, thank you for the responses!

Hopefully the ODE for the PS2 (something like the xstation or MODE for Saturn and Dreamcast) comes out soon!
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Does OPL provide full compatibility at this point or some games are still not playable?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

mario64 wrote:Does OPL provide full compatibility at this point or some games are still not playable?
At least via HDD, it's really, really good but not "full". I know that some of the rhythm games don't run well. And some games require specific compatibility modes enabled, though fortunately most support downloading presets for those via OPL so no need to go looking for obscure or Google cached forum posts.

It's totally worth just using it though and on the rare case that you encounter a problem a Google search will usually provide the answer.
JigsawMan

Post by JigsawMan »

I picked up a PS2 with an SD card mod from ebay. Works great with OPL. I think it was about £160 all in. Load times with a decent Sandisk card are way, way better than CD/DVD ever was.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

JigsawMan wrote:I picked up a PS2 with an SD card mod from ebay. Works great with OPL. I think it was about £160 all in. Load times with a decent Sandisk card are way, way better than CD/DVD ever was.
Oh yeah, the recommendation of using HDD doesn't mean you have to use those ancient PATA drives. There are SATA adapters (or the original network adapter can be modified to take SATA drives), or you can use one of these SD card adapters.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

I personally use a Sata HDD. The only real issue is the process of getting games on to the drive in the appropriate format can be a bit cumbersome.

In terms of compatibility, as was said it's very high, but not perfect. There are certain compatibility modes that help, and with these there's almost prefect compatibility, but as OPL has continuously been improved for years, and the most up-to-date compatibility list has been largely ignored for the last 4+ years, there's a real question mark on the actual percentage.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

fernan1234 wrote:...the original network adapter can be modified to take SATA drives
NormalFish wrote:I personally use a Sata HDD. The only real issue is the process of getting games on to the drive in the appropriate format can be a bit cumbersome.
I do this; I got one of those $10~$12 SATA interface boards and put it in my official network adapter (there exist prefab adapters with the SATA interface already fitted, but these lack network functionality, even though they have cutouts in the shell). SATA disks are far easier to get these days and will be significantly quieter than PATA/IDE disks.

One additional concern I have is how much a loose disk will flop around in the hard disk bay. The official HDDs used custom rails, but you can make approximations by cutting up a couple plastic cards (either old credit cards or the fake ones you might get in spam mail--avoid the paper ones, though) and attaching them to the disk with flat-topped hard disk screws. If you want to fit a 2.5" HDD or SSD, I recommend getting one of these and doing the rail mod (I got one of these to help fit an SSD to my Xbox).
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Does the OPL also play PS1 games on the PS2 fat? It would be ideal to have every PS1 and PS2 game all on one PS2 fat, if such a thing exists. That way I wouldn't have to get another PS1 console that is the correct model type and purchase the Xstation.
awe444

Post by awe444 »

fernan1234 wrote:or you can use one of these SD card adapters.
Just a warning that at least some of these SD-to-SATA or SD-to-PATA adapters won’t let you use more than 128GB of your SD card, even if you format it the proper way as 48-bit with WinHIIP. I struggled with that for some time before realizing it was the adapter (a normal SATA HDD worked above 128GB just fine).

Also I’ve used one of those kits that converts your original PS2 network adapter to a SATA connector and it works great, but there’s a pretty uncommon screw head type that you’ll need the proper tool for, so be sure to order it in advance if you get such a kit.
teerazzler wrote:Does the OPL also play PS1 games on the PS2 fat? It would be ideal to have every PS1 and PS2 game all on one PS2 fat, if such a thing exists. That way I wouldn't have to get another PS1 console that is the correct model type and purchase the Xstation.
PS1 backups can only be played from the PS2 loaders via the POPStarter emulator, which was written by Sony and has excellent compatibility and performance, but isn’t the same level of “real hardware” backward compatibility experience that you get from a PS1 disc inserted into the disc drive. A true PS2 ODE would offer an advantage in this area specifically.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

awe444 wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:or you can use one of these SD card adapters.
Just a warning that at least some of these SD-to-SATA or SD-to-PATA adapters won’t let you use more than 128GB of your SD card, even if you format it the proper way as 48-bit with WinHIIP. I struggled with that for some time before realizing it was the adapter (a normal SATA HDD worked above 128GB just fine).

Also I’ve used one of those kits that converts your original PS2 network adapter to a SATA connector and it works great, but there’s a pretty uncommon screw head type that you’ll need the proper tool for, so be sure to order it in advance if you get such a kit.
teerazzler wrote:Does the OPL also play PS1 games on the PS2 fat? It would be ideal to have every PS1 and PS2 game all on one PS2 fat, if such a thing exists. That way I wouldn't have to get another PS1 console that is the correct model type and purchase the Xstation.
PS1 backups can only be played from the PS2 loaders via the POPStarter emulator, which was written by Sony and has excellent compatibility and performance, but isn’t the same level of “real hardware” backward compatibility experience that you get from a PS1 disc inserted into the disc drive. A true PS2 ODE would offer an advantage in this area specifically.
Dang, that sucks such a thing doesn't exist yet. I would have thought by the year 2020 an ODE would have already been made for each and every single disc based console by now, and especially for the PS2 since it is such a popular console, but pretty crazy that things are still being developed for 20+ year systems. I mean heck, the Dreamcast and Saturn only just got MODE a couple months ago. It sounds like I should probably just hold out for a PS2 ODE that hopefully has PS1 functionality as well, since the PS2 is PS1 hardware as well as PS2 hardware all rolled into one. That would be frickin sahweet.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

nmalinoski wrote:One additional concern I have is how much a loose disk will flop around in the hard disk bay. The official HDDs used custom rails, but you can make approximations by cutting up a couple plastic cards (either old credit cards or the fake ones you might get in spam mail--avoid the paper ones, though) and attaching them to the disk with flat-topped hard disk screws. If you want to fit a 2.5" HDD or SSD, I recommend getting one of these and doing the rail mod (I got one of these to help fit an SSD to my Xbox).
I use a 2.5" drive, personally, and it's light enough that this isn't really a concern. I'd remove it if I was moving my console, but I don't so I don't worry about it. And since I use cheap chinese SATA replacement PCBs, the worst case is I have to replace it at some point for a couple bucks. No real issue.
Unfortunately, like Awe said, it does not. POPS is the only real option for that, if you want to play PS1 games on a PS2. If you're just totally over discs, I'd get a PS1 with an XStation, or wait for the PS2 ODEs in development and hope that one of them supports the PS1. Frankly, that last option is the thing that I'm most excited for with PS2 ODEs, since laser assemblies are fairly easy to replace already, and OPL is quite good.

I will say, as well, that if you can find a chipped PS2 or get your hands on a TEST debug PS2, you can natively play burned PS1 discs and therefore avoid paying a month of rent for Harmful Park and other stupidly expensive titles. This is what I do now.
it290

Post by it290 »

I use a slim PS2 with OPL connected via Ethernet cable to a Raspberry Pi that loads games from a USB stick over Samba. It's a little finicky to setup, but it works perfectly with both PS1 and PS2 games and you end up with a setup that's still quite a bit more compact than a fat PS2 + no moving parts. Tutorial here: https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3692
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I use these new, but old IDE type full-size drives – used to be $21 shipped not too long ago. No IDE to SATA adapter needed (I didn't want to fiddle with one) or finding a proper cage to fit the small 2.5" HDD's into so they don't flop around as I move them back and forth to copy files on occasion (in triplicate as I have 3x modded PS2's). They've been perfectly reliable for 2 years so far. PS2 games average maybe 2.5gb or so each, so easily 100 fit on there. Think I have 60 games on mine (honestly everything I've ever wanted to play on PS2) and have like 90gb left.

awe444 wrote:PS1 backups can only be played from the PS2 loaders via the POPStarter emulator, which was written by Sony and has excellent compatibility and performance, but isn’t the same level of “real hardware” backward compatibility experience that you get from a PS1 disc inserted into the disc drive. A true PS2 ODE would offer an advantage in this area specifically.
Is this sony made POPStarter a new development for PS2? I built 3x PS2's with HDD's back around 2018 and every bit of research I did (and I usually do WAY too much research on pretty much everything lol) said that compatibility for PS1 games loaded onto a PS2 HDD was spotty and crappy so I didn't look into it more.

...actually found the 2018 topic on it where I asked about pops and the exact quotes were it's a "steaming pile of shit even once you fully grasp how to use it - and it is full software emulation, doesn't utilise the PS1 CPU [inside the PS2] at all", and "POPS is a convenient but lousy emulator. I tried a few games, all of them had glitches or wouldn't work at all. It can't really be improved on either, since it's closed source"... and that's just a few of the similar negative quotes.

I would love it if it actually works, as my preferred way to play PS1 games is on a PS2 actually, but has been via disc so far (basically because I'm always playing PS1's Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and the slowdown in the inverted castle is HORRID on a real PS1 when there's multiple enemies on the screen at once and PS2 helps with that some), and I don't like using actual discs in anything anymore.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Dochartaigh wrote:Is this sony made POPStarter a new development for PS2? I built 3x PS2's with HDD's back around 2018 and every bit of research I did (and I usually do WAY too much research on pretty much everything lol) said that compatibility for PS1 games loaded onto a PS2 HDD was spotty and crappy so I didn't look into it more.

...actually found the 2018 topic on it where I asked about pops and the exact quotes were it's a "steaming pile of shit even once you fully grasp how to use it - and it is full software emulation, doesn't utilise the PS1 CPU [inside the PS2] at all", and "POPS is a convenient but lousy emulator. I tried a few games, all of them had glitches or wouldn't work at all. It can't really be improved on either, since it's closed source"... and that's just a few of the similar negative quotes.

I would love it if it actually works, as my preferred way to play PS1 games is on a PS2 actually, but has been via disc so far (basically because I'm always playing PS1's Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and the slowdown in the inverted castle is HORRID on a real PS1 when there's multiple enemies on the screen at once and PS2 helps with that some), and I don't like using actual discs in anything anymore.
Unless something has changed and I'm unaware of it, and I'm rather obsessive about following this particular issue, I think what you heard is correct. POPS will run some games very well, but the vast majority of the library has issues.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Using POPS is honestly no different than using a NES emulator on the EverDrive 64.
Listai

Post by Listai »

Why if you're taking the time to play on an actual PS2 would you decide to badly emulate PS1 games. At that point just play it on a PC and you'll have an experience closer to an actual PS1.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Listai wrote:Why if you're taking the time to play on an actual PS2 would you decide to badly emulate PS1 games. At that point just play it on a PC and you'll have an experience closer to an actual PS1.
This assumes that 1) the games they want to play are unplayable or unenjoyable emulated via POPS (which would be decided by the individual); 2) that they have a PC capable of better emulation performance than POPS; and 3) that they would want to go through the trouble of trying to figure out which emulator to use, mucking around with the settings to get things just right, or having to purchase additional equipment in order to get a PS1/PS2 controller hooked up in a way that doesn't introduce lag (like the garbage USB adapters of old).
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Don't forget that with a PS2 the PS1 titles are locked to the HZ of the SYSTEM not the game.

So if you play a 50HZ PAL PS1 game on an NTSC PS2 it will have incorrect timing. And vice versa
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I haven't come across very nice Popstarter reviews when doing my rsearch on this last year... until something changed in the last year, I wouldn't bank on Popstarter for playing my PS1 games.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Listai

Post by Listai »

nmalinoski wrote:
Listai wrote:Why if you're taking the time to play on an actual PS2 would you decide to badly emulate PS1 games. At that point just play it on a PC and you'll have an experience closer to an actual PS1.
This assumes that 1) the games they want to play are unplayable or unenjoyable emulated via POPS (which would be decided by the individual); 2) that they have a PC capable of better emulation performance than POPS; and 3) that they would want to go through the trouble of trying to figure out which emulator to use, mucking around with the settings to get things just right, or having to purchase additional equipment in order to get a PS1/PS2 controller hooked up in a way that doesn't introduce lag (like the garbage USB adapters of old).
I mean sure - but assuming they have a PC setting that up to play a PS1 game is much easier than setting up POPS.
Syntax wrote:Don't forget that with a PS2 the PS1 titles are locked to the HZ of the SYSTEM not the game.

So if you play a 50HZ PAL PS1 game on an NTSC PS2 it will have incorrect timing. And vice versa
With the exception of the SCHP3900x models which have a clock synthesiser that you can set to the correct timing via homebrew. I have a PAL model and I use PS1VModeNeg to run NTSC games at their correct timing.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

No one's saying you should. The only person who advocated POPS on a PS2 didn't understand its performance. Who are you telling this to?