Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this CRT picture?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nes.og

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this CRT picture?

Post by nes.og »

The screen looks cracked but the glass is fine. You can also see some similar scratch types faintly in the background.

Can anyone tell me the cause of this problem and if it can be repaired?

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by nes.og on Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ldeveraux

Re: Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this CRT picture?

Post by ldeveraux »

Looks like magnetic interference to me. Or your H and V knobs have been tweaked with.
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

ldeveraux wrote:Looks like magnetic interference to me. Or your H and V knobs have been tweaked with.
Thanks for taking your time to respond. I should mention the colors look ok so I would think it’s not a magnetic issue? I can try adjusting the H and V but have never seen any issues like this pictured online to suggest that.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Can you post a pic of a full white screen? Its hard to see much except the bottom left corner here.
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

Josh128 wrote:Can you post a pic of a full white screen? Its hard to see much except the bottom left corner here.
Not sure how to produce just a white screen? I believe it would be less noticeable because it is hard to see with other colors, most visible on black since it is white.

Here is a closer picture:

Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I've honestly never seen anything like that and I've owned literally tons of TV's in all sorts of conditions. I want to say the grille is damaged though, and that's non-fixable. I would just trash it and find another if that's an option for your part of the country/world (around me, NYC/Philly area you can find that exact model or super similar left and right on Craigslist).
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Agree it looks like some kind of aperture grille damage. If thats the case, the tube is trashed and you need a new tube. I'd still love to see what it looks like on a colored screen though.
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

Josh128 wrote:Agree it looks like some kind of aperture grille damage. If thats the case, the tube is trashed and you need a new tube. I'd still love to see what it looks like on a colored screen though.
You can barely see it over color so maybe not the aperture grille?

Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Now thats interesting to say the least. No longer convinced its the AG, as that picture looks decent with no purity issues or rainbow effects. Let me ask this, if you "knock" on the screen firmly with your knuckles, does it produce a visible shimmer/shake? You have to look closely, as if it does, it will be hard to see and very subtle.
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

I tried knocking on it until my knuckle was soar and didn’t notice anything even faintly. Perhaps there may be some material other the grille behind the glass or in between it?
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

Someone else with the same Sony Wega model with same issue on the same spot on the tube.

Go see: https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... ame=iossmf

Can anyone please tell me that the hell causes this? lol
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

nes.og wrote:Someone else with the same Sony Wega model with same issue on the same spot on the tube.

Go see: https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... ame=iossmf

Can anyone please tell me that the hell causes this? lol

Very odd that he has the exact same problem in the same area. Could be a failed component in the deflection circuitry maybe? The thing to try would be to rotate the yoke with the set on, and see if the "slash" moves with the rotation of the yoke. If it doesnt, its the aperture grille. If it does, its either something with the yoke itself or the deflection circuitry.

Also, is it just me or is your picture absolutely fine when you send an image to it? I dont see an issue in the SMB screenshot.
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

Thanks for your input, I’ll have to check that out.

You can only faintly see it when graphics are displayed unless there is a black background then it stands out.