576i Picture Quality PS2 , Denon Receiver and OSSC

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Goran83

576i Picture Quality PS2 , Denon Receiver and OSSC

Post by Goran83 »

Hello @all! :)
Im new in this Forum.
My Name is Goran, im from Croatia but i live in Germany. So im sorry for my bad english! My Setup is an LG OLED C7, OSSC 1.6, Denon Receiver x2200w. I Have these Consoles at Home hooked up:
PSOne, PS2, Wii, PS3, PS4, SNES Mini and NES Mini. So my Question is: When i hook up the PS2 with original PS3 Component Cables at the OSSC and use the Passthrough Option, then the Picture in Silent Hill 2 isnt that good. But when i hook up the PS2 on my AV Receiver and youse the upscale option like 720P or 4K the the Picture is much better. is this normal?? would that mean that the Receiver upscales better than the LG C7?? or am i misunterstanding something? Is it recommenden to hook up the ps2 on the receiver and let him upscale or should i use passthrough?
best regards!
rama

Re: 576i Picture Quality PS2 , Denon Receiver and OSSC

Post by rama »

Hey,

why don't you use the OSSC upscaling functions instead of passthrough?
The picture should be just as good, most likely even better then.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

rama wrote:Hey,

why don't you use the OSSC upscaling functions instead of passthrough?
The picture should be just as good, most likely even better then.
The OSSC doesn't do well line-multiplying interlaced content. The bob deinterlacing from line2x/4x looks crappy, and the 1440i/1728i video modes you'd get from line3x are not typical resolutions, and I imagine they're not well-supported.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

would that mean that the Receiver upscales better than the LG C7??
indeed.

And it's a shame that so many so called reviewers have simply forgotten what real good processing on lower end sources can look like. Go back something like 10 years and the LG's processing for SD signals would have been called out for being mediocre any time of the day, while now it's somehow being praised just because nobody feels like testing it any longer. Part of the problem might be that actual results for real-life content are hard to base on test suite results. I can imagine various deinterlacing running through with pretty good results and 15kz interlaced video still looking very mediocre.

Point being: LG's processing for SD sources isn't good. Never was and probably never will be.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Mmh...back in the days I've found the LD450's handling of the PS2 almost on par with the ABT102.
Only slightly less details and a little ringing but fewer occurences of combing artifacts on fast moving objects.
The viewable picture always borders-less by default without me doing anything, I've even wondered if they had maybe tuned the scaler for a couple consoles at the time.
At the very least it was better than what I could get with the GBS, XRGB3 and Vigatecs I had around at the time.

Probably a brief exception, in the case of modern sets there isn't anyhting to expect I guess (maybe Sony still do 450i good?) and it's not even part of the tests in reviews.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"