Recommendation for HDMI-VGA converter without issues...?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RWL

Recommendation for HDMI-VGA converter without issues...?

Post by RWL »

Hi, first post here and I'm running an OSSC/HDMI-VGA/PC-CRT setup.

Does anyone know of a HDMI-VGA converter that doesn't have the on-screen artifacts of the Tendak AV-107-BK-VC *nor* the 5-second delay before the image is displayed of the Belkin B2B137...?

The Belkin put an end to the blippy white lines and the white dots on black screens of the Tendak (good) but introduced another issue - if (for example) I turn on my Model 1 Master System, the entire start-up screen has finished and the cartridge booted by the time the converter displays the image (not the end of the world but yeah).

Obviously this is the better problem to have of the two, but if anyone could recommend a HDMI-VGA converter that doesn't have the issues of either the Tendak or Belkin (or introduce yet another issue instead) I'd appreciate it a lot :)
thchardcore

Re: Recommendation for HDMI-VGA converter without issues...?

Post by thchardcore »

The Portta one is solid. No black crush from my experience and no issues with drops. About $20 on amazon.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

thchardcore wrote:The Portta one is solid. No black crush from my experience and no issues with drops. About $20 on amazon.
I think people do complain about black crush and/or 4:2:2??? or something on these? (I could be off though, haven't been paying special attention to the posts about these lately tbh).

I honestly could care less because that's the exact one I would recommend too! lol. I even bought an extra just in case they discontinue them. Sold my HD Fury 2, HD Fury 3, and my Kramer FC-49 -- all of which gave me issues of some type or another. Portta has been perfect and just plug and play for me. I use it on my Xbox 360 so I can keep it HDMI for my flatscreen, then convert to analog RGB for my multiformat CRT's.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Portta is solid as hecc!

I’m thinking about picking up a cheap Tripp Lite P131-06N-2VA-U on eBay, I have been curious about that unit for silly dumb reasons.

I’d also kill for a HDFury Nano GX if they were
1. Available at all
2. $40 or less

Blah!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I think people do complain about black crush and/or 4:2:2??? or something on these?
the Portta is really good, but for some reason, the converter is expecting a limited range HDMI input (either limited range RGB or YCbCr), so any black crush results from feeding it a full range HDMI signal instead. Color subsampling isn't an issue here.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

What about the Walmart based Orn brand? I had good test results and haven't noticed defects even on 1080p signals, but I'd like if someone else were to make any further confirmations with it.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I've heard the Vention brand ones are good, too.

I haven't noticed the Portta having issues with black crush on limited versus full - I use it with my PS4 @ 720p on my 34" CRT presentation monitor and it looks far better with the PS4 set to full range. But I haven't done any testing / haven't used in in a little while, perhaps if I took another look sometime soon I could form a better opinion - my eye's become quite well-trained at this point :)
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Wait, I think I remember what Fudoh is talking about now... at least when using Portta on a Rasp Pi at 15khz, you're better off setting the Pi to YCbCr and not RGB. Way more vibrant that way. Then on the PS4 the Portta looks best setting the console to full range RGB (don't think that console has the option for selecting between RGB & YCbCr).
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

I've been wondering about the Portta converters. Four of interest in our scene are HDMI -> VGA, HDMI -> Component (YPbPr) and the reverse. The converters come in what I think are the newer form in top of pic and the older form on bottom with the blue text:
Spoiler
Based on Amazon and Walmart product descriptions, it looks like HDMI -> VGA newer form has no scaling but blue text has upscaling and downscaling features. But then HDMI -> Component the newer form has upscaling and downscaling and the blue text form doesn't?

Can anyone confirm what is passthrough only and what can scale - but also allow passthrough?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

The black and blue HDMI to VGA is non-scaling.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I ended up buying the Tripp Lite P131-06N-2VA-U for cheap on eBay. I looked around on their website at other HDMI to VGAs that they sell, and it was the only one with a manual that mentions supporting resolutions up to 1920x1440p. Probably meaningless, but I figured it was worth a shot for $10
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

If looking for something strictly for video, this little guy works great.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082VYRXBJ/re ... VC6TJKZZER

My main use cases are:
-240p from a cps-2 hdmi kit to a consumer crt (chained to a green antz vga->ypbpr transcoder)
-all resolutions above 240p from same cps2- hdmi kit to a vga crt
-ossc 1600x1200 to same vga crt

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

kitty666cats wrote:The black and blue HDMI to VGA is non-scaling.
Thanks so exact opposite of online descriptions lol but not hard to imagine product description is copy/pasted for two versions of the same device.

The Tripp Lite P131-06N-2VA-U, now that you mention that, I like how it actively splits VGA for the sake of testing console RGB or VGA cable quality.

I first heard of Tripp Lite in 2015 when my employer shipped me their uninterrupted power supply to work from home. Atlanta power is flickery as hell and my router plugged in keeps the internet connection up. I consider a premium brand.

If someone felt like spending $100/€ on a research project, could buy every mass produced HDMI -> VGA converter on the market and test them out. I'd be curious of the video chips.
strayan

Post by strayan »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote: If someone felt like spending $100/€ on a research project, could buy every mass produced HDMI -> VGA converter on the market and test them out. I'd be curious of the video chips.
Fudoh has tested a few viewtopic.php?p=1441618#p1441618
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

The Tripp Lite I bought was screwed up and I proceeded to fuck up my computer trying to get it to allow the 1920x1440p it *apparently* supports. The HDMI connector broke so I cracked it open ‘n it uses:

- EP94Z1E
- ADA 4862-3
- ADM866

So no fancy newer Lontium chipset
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.siig.com/hdmi-to-vga-compon ... erter.html

These are cheap on eBay; quite curious about these as well haha
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324974416462

^ Another one I have always been kinda curious about. They also make one of these which works in the reverse direction.

----------

Also, those Extron DVI to RGB units look quite good (a friend of mine has one), I wonder if they warrant a second look...? There is one on the JunkerHQ Wiki - but Extron has several different models/revisions.
RWL

Post by RWL »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone :)
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

When I get home from work tonight I am going to try to remember to finally see how high I can push this replacement Tripp Lite P131-06N-2VA-U that Tripp Lite kindly sent to me. Will try to make some comparisons against my Portta as well.

https://www.tripplite.com/2-port-hdmi-t ... 13106n2vau

https://www.tripplite.com/support/owners-manual/756600

^ My curiousity originally was piqued when I saw it explicitly mentions 1920x1440p support in the manual (as well as on its Amazon listing, as far as I remember), since that is such an odd thing to advertise. I’ll see if that is indeed the case/if it’s only supported with reduced blanking timings/check if it miraculously supports 2560x1440p as well. I’ll also make sure to check on 240p support.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

NoAffinity wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:29 pm If looking for something strictly for video, this little guy works great.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082VYRXBJ/re ... VC6TJKZZER

My main use cases are:
-240p from a cps-2 hdmi kit to a consumer crt (chained to a green antz vga->ypbpr transcoder)
-all resolutions above 240p from same cps2- hdmi kit to a vga crt
-ossc 1600x1200 to same vga crt
In case you know, would this serve for 480p, for PC usage (PC CRT monitor)? I asked in another thread without much success - I'm just looking for an HDMI-VGA converter (though DVI-D-VGA would also serve), no audio needed, and seems the Portta is unavailable in Europe. No experience with DACs myself, so any advice about what not to buy is appreciated as well, just need something that works well with VGA and beyond though 240p would also be welcome. There's never a mention of 480p compatibility:

Tendak: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B06WCZDDY1

Tripp Lite: https://www.amazon.es/Tripp-Lite-Adapta ... 076PL981S/

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Adapter-Comp ... 07D3XZ9SD/

-

EDIT: Alright, if Oldboytech is Snowkids in Europe, then it seems the converter officially supports 480p and 480i. It's so inexpensive, though, you don't know if it can be a quality product.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I use an HD Fury 3 with my Sony BVM-D24E1WU and it works perfectly.