N64RGB display problems

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
that1crzywhtguy

N64RGB display problems

Post by that1crzywhtguy »

I previously posted about this on the n64 blur fixing thread, as well as emailing tim about this (waiting for his reply), but in the meantime, I thought I'd post a new thread for this as its really a repair/troubleshooting/general problem thing.

Having a bit of a problem with the deblur aspect of Tim's n64RGB.
The mod seems to be functioning, but imperfectly. I wired a switch from pads A and G for the deblur, and whenever I switch the deblur function on, I get interference that appears almost like static on the screen, as well as everything getting really blurry (the opposite of the intended effect seems to occur).

My n64 is going into my PVM through a SNES scart cable from retrogamingcables. I am using pure c-sync, and no scart switch. It is plugged into my scart-PVM adapter also from retrogamingcables. This same setup works beautifully with my SNES jr.

In the video I link below, you can see a pretty solid interference free image, till you hear the click of the switch. Then the whole image gets shaky and blurry. I flip it back and forth a couple times in the video (listen for the click).

Maybe this is a defective board? Maybe it doesn't like my n64 for some reason? Is this a firmware problem? If so, I do have a usb blaster and could try reflashing... Though I've gotta learn how to do that first!

Here is a video of the blurriness when the deblur effect is switched on.
https://youtu.be/altELaJh8UE

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Last edited by that1crzywhtguy on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoagtech

Re: N64 RGB install problems

Post by Hoagtech »

Does powering it off before you hit the switch effect it?
Maybe it's having trouble switching a live image. Idk
Copyright 1987
that1crzywhtguy

Re: N64 RGB install problems

Hoagtech wrote:Does powering it off before you hit the switch effect it?
Maybe it's having trouble switching a live image. Idk
Unfortunately not. Same problem either way.
that1crzywhtguy

Re: N64RGB display problems

Okay, problem solved!!!

I'd like to send out a BIG thank you to everyone who helped me troubleshoot this problem!

I flashed borti's firmware with igr, wired up the 2 extra necessary wires, and it works like a charm.

I'm mystified as to why this works now, but you know the whole gift horse bit!

Hurrrahh!!!!
8) :lol: :D