GD: Gradius II: Gofer No Yabou

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Chipnyu

Post by Chipnyu »

Kiken wrote: When it comes to the arcade titles, Gradius is by far the easiest. Gradius II has a comfortable difficulty, much like V. III and IV are stupidly hard because they suffer from poor design.
It's not even level design it's just.. you got a HUGE barrage of bullets in levels with hardly ANY power ups. At least in Gradius I & II you know they come, but in III, you have to have like some sort of SELECTIVE PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY in order to get them.

I actually started playing the X68K port of Gradius II a few days ago. Nearly arcade perfect, if it were not for some sound conversion faults with the music.. other than that, it's really awesome. I haven't played the PC Engine one yet, though...
GGA_HAN

Re: GD: Gradius II: Gofer No Yabou

Post by GGA_HAN »

Not sure if this is the right thread; sorry if I bump an older topic.....

Without autofire, is there a generally better weapon configuration that people agree on? I see most people opting for # 4 when they have autofire, but my arcade has a pcb with no autofire on it. Trying to at least 1-all this sometime in the future.

THanks!
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Type 2 is probably the best selection due to having spread bombs and lasers. Spread bombs will definitely help with clearing lots of sections in the game. Lasers will just require you to hold the fire button instead of constantly tapping.

If you're good mashing at button mashing, Type 4 is a way better option for "wide" firepower.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
SAM

Post by SAM »

Kiken wrote:At any rate, I've been playing the Super CD version of Gradius II quite a bit recently and have noticed (as per usual with PC-Engine ports) that there are a few minor alterations that make the game more difficult.
Have you tried the Arcade Mode? Is it the same?

To enter the Arcade Mode: after pressing Run button to load the game, press and hold Up dpad+I button+II button until the title screen is displayed. Then "AC.MODE" will be added to the Options menu. The most noticeable diffence of the arcade mode is omitting the PC Engine exclusive stage. But may be it also change the Boss partern, I don't know.

I can't verify this, as the code won't works on PC-Engine Mini. (I could only reach as far as stage 4 at the moment anyway.)
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
SAM

Post by SAM »

Any tips on how to get pass Stage 3, if you die in the middle?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

SAM wrote:Any tips on how to get pass Stage 3, if you die in the middle?
Reset and get good. This game's checkpoint are mostly impossible to recover, though not as worse as III.
beatsgo wrote:Type 2 is probably the best selection due to having spread bombs and lasers. Spread bombs will definitely help with clearing lots of sections in the game. Lasers will just require you to hold the fire button instead of constantly tapping.
Good luck dealing final stage with type 2, cause there are many enemies from upper part that will ready to kill you.