RQ: How do you get the E-Laser in Gradius V??....

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
dave4shmups

RQ: How do you get the E-Laser in Gradius V??....

Post by dave4shmups »

I was very surprised to see this weapon in ths score-attack mode Super Play:

http://www.super-play.co.uk/index.php?superplay=555

How exactly do you get this weapon? Because when I go to Score Attack, it just shows me the same weapon arrangements as regular play.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

You must clear the first loop to get Weapon Edit.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Icarus wrote:You must clear the first loop to get Weapon Edit.
Gotcha! Does it have to be a 1cc, or do you just have to beat every stage?
Farewell to hollow words
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

1CC most likely. At least, thats how I unlocked it. ^_-
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

I'm pretty sure I got it by credit feeding :oops:
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

It doesn't have to be 1CC, you can feed it. Weapon edit is also unlocked after a certain number of hours of gameplay, iirc. Don't know the actual figure.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I never tried that weapon. Amazing how fast you can kill bosses. Sorta takes the skill out of em.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Makes stages more difficult though. I still prefer the regular Laser for all-purpose play.
landshark

Post by landshark »

True. But double is a great weapon in Gradius V.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

true, specialy with type 1, and possibly type 3 too.
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Icarus wrote:Makes stages more difficult though. I still prefer the regular Laser for all-purpose play.
It's a good weapon, but I honestly don't understand WHY Konami had to put a boss rush at the end of the SECOND STAGE! :evil: Are they really incapable of making ANY type of shooter that isn't perfectionist??

Sorry, I just had to vent about that.
Farewell to hollow words
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

The Boss Rush is so easy there.
But I saw a Boss Rush video on Super-Play. Is This an option you can unlock or are these just cuts from the levels
landshark

Post by landshark »

dave4shmups wrote:
Icarus wrote:Makes stages more difficult though. I still prefer the regular Laser for all-purpose play.
It's a good weapon, but I honestly don't understand WHY Konami had to put a boss rush at the end of the SECOND STAGE! :evil: Are they really incapable of making ANY type of shooter that isn't perfectionist??

This is the easiest boss rush of any Gradius game. And being in the beginning means that you don't have to play through 3/4's of the game only to get obliterated. It allows you to practice it easier being so close to the beginning of the game.

Level 6 has a harder boss rush.

Level 7 has it's own sort of boss rush, but the bosses are spread out throughout the entire level (and much harder than anything in level 2).
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

landshark wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:

This is the easiest boss rush of any Gradius game. And being in the beginning means that you don't have to play through 3/4's of the game only to get obliterated. It allows you to practice it easier being so close to the beginning of the game.

Level 6 has a harder boss rush.

Level 7 has it's own sort of boss rush, but the bosses are spread out throughout the entire level (and much harder than anything in level 2).
Easiest?? I can't even get past the "swirl" boss in this rush. :(
Farewell to hollow words
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Did you not watch how the player dodge the 'swirl'? It's really easy. Stage 6 is harder like landshark says.
landshark

Post by landshark »

dave4shmups wrote: Easiest?? I can't even get past the "swirl" boss in this rush. :(
Very much so. I only play with type-1. But I line all my options up in front of me and shove em into the core while the boss is spinning. You can knock down all the shields before he goes into his laser-spam spin.

The game does require a good amount of play to get good at. You can't just pick it up from time to time.

But even having not played it for 6 months I still was able to pick it up and get to level 7. I'd definitely consider the level 2 boss rush as "easy" compared to the rest of the rushes, and especially the gradius 3 rush.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

landshark wrote:
dave4shmups wrote: Easiest?? I can't even get past the "swirl" boss in this rush. :(
Very much so. I only play with type-1. But I line all my options up in front of me and shove em into the core while the boss is spinning. You can knock down all the shields before he goes into his laser-spam spin.

The game does require a good amount of play to get good at. You can't just pick it up from time to time.

But even having not played it for 6 months I still was able to pick it up and get to level 7. I'd definitely consider the level 2 boss rush as "easy" compared to the rest of the rushes, and especially the gradius 3 rush.
Ok, well thanks for that advice! I'll definately have to try that-but then there's that last boss in the stage-looks pretty itimidating!
Farewell to hollow words
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

As I tell most anyone who's having trouble in a game, if I can do it, so can anyone. ;) I've managed to get to stage 5 on defaults in GV (yay me) so it IS definitely doable, dave...know thy tiny hitbox! ;)
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Crap, I suck! My high score, so far, with Type 1 is only 333,250! :(
Farewell to hollow words
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

dave4shmups wrote:Crap, I suck! My high score, so far, with Type 1 is only 333,250! :(
Try something different :wink:
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

masterpaul wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:Crap, I suck! My high score, so far, with Type 1 is only 333,250! :(
Try something different :wink:
Other then Type 1, nothing else works for me. The Type that lets you swivel your options has a ridiculous learning curve, and the two others are practically worthless.
Last edited by dave4shmups on Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell to hollow words
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Type 1 is superior for the speedkilling aspect. You can take down the majority of bosses save the stage7 ones in under 2 minutes each. The trick is to quickly cluster your Options together, then lock them in place, and place them directly on top of the cores to destroy them. I have a bunch of Type 1 speedkill replays somewhere if you are interested, that go up to stage6.

Type 4 (Rotate) isn't worthless, as when fully powered up with Laser the Options and Lasers act as a sort of shield, stopping enemies from bumping into you. Type 3 (Formation) is pretty difficult to get used to, but has excellent screen coverage (especially if you have the V-shaped forward firing Double). I agree on Type 2 though, its a pain in the butt to use effectively.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Icarus wrote:Type 3 (Formation) is pretty difficult to get used to, but has excellent screen coverage (especially if you have the V-shaped forward firing Double).
The main advantage I've found with Type 3 (aside from easily being able to focus power into one spot for bosses) is how easy it is to get the options to pass through walls and get otherwise hard-to-nail enemies, such as popcorn spawners at the bottom of narrow carridors. It's a bit less versatile in other situations though.
I agree on Type 2 though, its a pain in the butt to use effectively.
I actually use Type 2 a lot, it's great to "sweep" the screen with when you have lasers, and if you use the back shot, maneuver your options in front of you, rotate them so they fire up-and-down, and any enemies coming at you from the front have a nice wall of bullets to get past to get to you. :) Only notable disadvantage, from my standpoint at least, is that it's tough to focus the options' power into boss cores and whatnot, but for most of the stages I find Type 2 quite nice to use.

Personally, though, while my best scores (IIRC) are with types 2 and 4, I can get relatively the same ways into the game with any of the 4 types: depending on which I use, some areas are harder, others easier. Keep practicing, dave, you can do it: maybe trying it on a lower difficulty to practice would help (though for some reason some around here consider this a cardinal sin...but you know how much heed I pay to those people ;)).
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Icarus wrote:Type 1 is superior for the speedkilling aspect. You can take down the majority of bosses save the stage7 ones in under 2 minutes each. The trick is to quickly cluster your Options together, then lock them in place, and place them directly on top of the cores to destroy them. I have a bunch of Type 1 speedkill replays somewhere if you are interested, that go up to stage6.

Type 4 (Rotate) isn't worthless, as when fully powered up with Laser the Options and Lasers act as a sort of shield, stopping enemies from bumping into you. Type 3 (Formation) is pretty difficult to get used to, but has excellent screen coverage (especially if you have the V-shaped forward firing Double). I agree on Type 2 though, its a pain in the butt to use effectively.
I would be VERY interested in seeing those speedkill replays!

And thanks for the encouragement, guys! I do really like this game, but it does take a lot of practice.
Farewell to hollow words
Gorecki

Post by Gorecki »

Type 4 is not worthless, it's the one I'd recommend for beginners (like me :P). The bouncing circle bullets that the level 1 and 3 bosses shoot out become almost comlpetely unable to penetrate your defences, and you can concentrate your options together for focused attacks. It's absolutely awful though for moving backwards/diagonally - the latter parts of level 6 seem almost completely impossible to me. Also, it's double shot isn't up to much.

You should give it a whirl though, so to speak.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

dave4shmups wrote:I would be VERY interested in seeing those speedkill replays!
http://ikaruga.co.uk/files/fw/others/gradius5/

^_-

I can put up a short ST detailing Type 1 specific techniques, largely related to Option control in the next few days.
landshark

Post by landshark »

dave4shmups wrote:
Icarus wrote: I would be VERY interested in seeing those speedkill replays!

And thanks for the encouragement, guys! I do really like this game, but it does take a lot of practice.
Dave - search the strategy forum. I posted a Type-1 boss-speed-kill strategy a while back. It's probably the Gradius V topic but I don't remember.