GD: Under Defeat Scoring

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
SHwoKing

Post by SHwoKing »

There is different strategy to kill him before it goes on the tail.

Here is the best and hardest one :

- I place the helicopter in top right corner and rotate in left angle (i play on reverse so it's easy) and load the Rocket.
- As soon as i see the counter (90') appear, il release the rocket and start shooting the left wing.
- I keep shooting the left wing, central canon start to fire, i dodge under it but only with very short movement so that i can continue to fire without changing the angle of my helicopter.
- When counter is at something like 87'20 (really near 86'XX), i stop firing on this wing.
- I start to fire on the right wing in straight angle, bottom screen.
- Again canon start to fire at you, so i keep firing and moving up (so that fires pass under your heli) with only little movement
- Now the most tricky part : you have to move accordingly and keep firing while dodging the canon and at the end of his firing, being well place so that the missile which was waiting on the tail explode. It must not miss the right wing cause it does some slight damage on it. Try to keep firing while the first missile is reaching the wing
- Now the second missile is coming, place yourself so that it expode on the right wing too.
- Now the boss should have very little life left to be able to kill it with one rocket.
- Load your rocket and target the central canon. You have to target it quiet early, or the pod will simply explode without releasing the rocket. If it explode before releasing, you will not destroy the central canon and miss 20 000 pts but both wings should be destroy with rocket launch or pod explosion.

Timing is very tricky but once you get it, you will be able to pull that consitantely as i do now.
CIT

Post by CIT »

This is how I do it, although there might be an even better method:

1. Stay at top-left, when the boss enters, immediately deploy rocket right at the left engine. Then evade bullets by inching towards the bottom of the screen while consistently holding fire, until engine explodes - or better, has only 1mm of life left.

2. Immediately move right and fire rocket and machine gun at right engine until it is low enough to be destroyed by one rocket.

At some point during step 2 the bomber will drop two guided missiles. You must shoot the first missile but let the second missile pass, as you charge your rocket for the final blow.

The timing at this part is such that if you shoot both missiles or evade both missiles the bomber will move behind you about 1 second faster, which is just one second too soon for your rocket to hae charged. So it is crucial to shoot down only the first missile.

3. Shoot rocket at center of bomber to finish him off.
Last edited by CIT on Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
SHwoKing

Post by SHwoKing »

Lol there you are Randorama : 3 differents strategies !

By the way, the one on the video seems more adapted to you : he plays on normal. Mine is for reverse.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Just watched the video, that is pretty much exactly the strategy I use, although I play reverse as well. ^^
SHwoKing

Post by SHwoKing »

The difference between mine and this one is that i only fire two rocket instead of 3. Maybe i should try that way too.

Twiddle, the videos you gave us, is it "THE" world record. I mean, is it just a random run, or is it taken from his best run ? And do you know what is the world record ?

Cause i've watched the score and it tells me that that my scoring skill are on par with him, well, on the 3 first stage at least. But he probably lost his first two lives in stage 1 so that is score is better than mine. Correcting it with removing extra points (assuming he did 100 % one stage 1 and 2 it 's 80 000 bonus points) of this "dying" trick and i'm a little above it :P

Though my skill suck so i should shut up and go pratice more :wink:
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

SHwoKing wrote:Twiddle, the videos you gave us, is it "THE" world record. I mean, is it just a random run, or is it taken from his best run ? And do you know what is the world record ?
It's a random run, and the WR holder (TZR-SIZ) according to the Gamest charts we can access has a 6.6m score. I haven't taken the time to dig in 2ch for the new record, but this is allegedly TZR-SIZ's video, from the torrent details, if I remember correctly.

I don't have the torrent site's URL on me. Someone from #shmups has it, likely Valgar or ddpx.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Just throwing this one out there because I havn't seen it mentioned.

Collecting an option of the same type that you already have causes the timer on that option to immediately revert to ready. Very useful in some instances as you can fire off a rocket and immediately have another one ready.
SHwoKing

Post by SHwoKing »

Yes this tips works. especially usefull for fast double rocket shot.
But this tips works with any weapons : wether you change weapon or not, it will work too. No obligation to keep the same weapon.

I use it at some specific point but as having the right option at the right time is base on luck, i cannot do it sometimes.

Exemple : Stage 3 mid boss : if i know i will have a Rocket ready by killing the Helicopter just before : i launch a rocket, fire a bomb, take the rocket option, fire a bit and launch it. This way i can have 5 helicopters after killing the mid boss fast. Without this trick, it's 3 heli without bomb. So it's a pretty good deal to launch a 10 000 pts bomb for more than 15 000 pts.

This situation do not occur often though, as where the rocket option goes as an impact too.
BBH

Post by BBH »

Randorama wrote:Anyone up for a loop discussion (i.e. BBH, are you still on the game)?
nope, I haven't been playing at all :( I should probably get back into it at some point.
SHwoKing wrote:Never fought bosses over 2-3 but boss 2-3 is still the same. You can still beat him with full points and no bomb before going at the bottom screen.
how do you handle the extra suicide bullets that the boss releases on 2-3 when the wings (err, propellers... whatever they are) are destroyed then? I'm not very good at dodging those on reaction, and would usually puss out and use a bomb.
SHwoKing

Post by SHwoKing »

BBH wrote:how do you handle the extra suicide bullets that the boss releases on 2-3 when the wings (err, propellers... whatever they are) are destroyed then? I'm not very good at dodging those on reaction, and would usually puss out and use a bomb.
Lol i never noticed that this boss was releasing suicide bullets. Simply cause i destroy both wing and the central canon at the same time : suicide bullets don't appear this way.

It's exactly the same with the first boss, when you destroy one of its rear, it release suicide bullets, cause you destroy both of them at the same time, they do appear and disppear in a split second.

I guess same thing happen with boss 2-3.
big_aug

Post by big_aug »

How quickly are you guys killing hte stage 4 boss? I finally got a perfect way for myself to do it with around 68-70s remaining every time, but it requires a bomb. Its extremely easy, and makes the stage 4 boss seem like cake.

What I do is drop my cannon as soon as the very front cannon of the boss appears. It destroys the front cannon, and I move to the right and destroy the two there. My cannon then focuses on the left most cannon while I spin the turret. You should be able to get a few cannon shots and some machine gun fire into the spotlight before the chain gun starts. Dodge the chain gun fire by moving right, and destroy the right most cannon there. Move back to the left and destroy the cannon that shoots a single stream. Next go right in front of the spotlight (very close, but not so close that your cannon hits the boss), and depoy your cannon. The boss will begin to shoot its chain gun with around 81s remaining. You should bomb at this point and do as much damage as possible. When your cannon runs out, the boss should have about one or two cannon shots worth of life left at this point. You should slide to the left and destroy the two cannons that appear, while avoiding the chain gun fire. Your cannon will be about ready to go at this point, so just drop it and collect your 100k points. =D

Very easy method for the stage 4 boss. Most of you probably already had a great method for it anyway, but maybe someone can get some use from this =D. I sure wish I had a USB video capture device to record it.
SHwoKing

Post by SHwoKing »

My best time is 75' remaining, always between 75' and 76', without bomb.

To do so, you need the Rocket.

First when you're approching the boss, you should aim for the right little turret, not the bigger turret on the right, laucnh the rocket : you destroy all the turret except the left (not appeared yet).

Destroy the left turret.

Then the trickiest part : everyone know i think you can rotate the big turret manually by firing on it's right or left panel ? ok then shoot on the left panel until the turret is completely align so that its gatlin gun fire will be completely vertical. The trick is that you must do it before the boss start to fire with its gatlin gun.

When you did right to align the central turret, put your heli in the center : between the two gatlin fire and start damaging the boss : the screen should be white at this moment with just gatlin fire on screen : no problem you are already well place.

The rocket should be reload now, shoot it ASAP and the white screen should end, destroying at the same time a turret on the left and another weapon that should release slow suicide bullets.

ALWAYS STAY IN THE MIDDLE to damage the boss, move just up and down, keep shooting while going up as near as possible to the boss turret. When small turrets start to reappear again and shoot at you, move downward very slowly, your Rocket should be reload then, load it and release while going down. Be carefull not to aim it on the small turret in the center, aim it on the boss. Release it, BOOM the boss is killed.

Tips : if you have to quit the center of the screen just after releasing the last rocket, just move very slightly on the right or left, so that the boss turret is still align, moving to much will make it rotate slightly and the rocket will explode on one of it's cannon causing colateral damage not enough damaging to finish it.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

SHwoKing wrote:My best time is 75' remaining, always between 75' and 76', without bomb.

To do so, you need the Rocket.

First when you're approching the boss, you should aim for the right little turret, not the bigger turret on the right, laucnh the rocket : you destroy all the turret except the left (not appeared yet).
So how are you dealing with the 2 blue choppers before the boss? Just shooting them down?

Personally, I prefer to use a rocket against the 2 choppers to red rid of them quickly (which is even more important in loop 2). At which point I take out the initial 5 gun pods on the boss with standard shot. Normally as I'm shooting the one on the left (or on the right in loop 2), my Rocket Pod completes it's cooling process so I can lay it down and target the search light unaccosted.
Damocles wrote: Collecting an option of the same type that you already have causes the timer on that option to immediately revert to ready. Very useful in some instances as you can fire off a rocket and immediately have another one ready.
One thing that needs clarifying is that the Option Pod has to be in Cool Down Mode for this to work. If you pick up the floating power-up before the current rocket pod has detonated and returned to cooling, then it will not reset the weapon's status, it just gives you the 5000 pt bonus.

Is anybody still aggresively pursuing this game, or am I the only one at this point?
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

I've started playing it, but I don't know how far I'll take it before I move on to something else. 1cc of the first loop at the VERY least.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Resurrecting this thread.. man, that last boss still chews me up. Lately, I've been going to the sides of the screen to dodge the shots (especially the center cannon), and also centering over the helipads when he launches those lines. Has anyone here tried these tactics, and/or have any good tips for the most outward guns (the pod launchers)?
Humans, think about what you have done
CIT

Post by CIT »

Are you talking about the second or third form of the last boss?
louisg

Post by louisg »

CIT wrote:Are you talking about the second or third form of the last boss?
Second and third forms (center cannon on second form).
Humans, think about what you have done
TLB

Post by TLB »

So: If I want to decrease rank because I am a shitty pussy at video games, I should bomb the enemy with extreme prejudice? Especially if I screw up the Stage 2 boss and/or want to speedkill the Stage 3 midboss?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

m3tall1ca wrote:So: If I want to decrease rank because I am a shitty pussy at video games, I should bomb the enemy with extreme prejudice? Especially if I screw up the Stage 2 boss and/or want to speedkill the Stage 3 midboss?
The only major way to drop rank is to die. Bombing like mad is just a waste of points, really. There's no appreciable rank difference for doing it.

The stage 2 boss can be taken down very quickly, just remember that the bridge is an active target the first time you pass by as well as during the last screen pause (after destroying the large cannons on the front of the ship, the camera swings back and you'll be accosted by 8 chopters, 4 from either side of the screen... initially just ignore the chopters and drill the boss).

I'll occassionally bomb during the stage 3 midboss (second loop) if things are getting out of control. This boss only takes 2 rockets to the main cannon to destroy.
TLB

Post by TLB »

Thanks, Kiken. I usually damage the bridge enough to spray it until it's about ready to quit streaming at me and start to spread, then finish it with a rocket for a quick 2x kill. I guess I should just start max-rank practicing Stage the Third. And then Fourth.

(Those two stages also happen to have two of the best goddamn themes of anything I've ever heard in my life; especially the Arrange tracks.)
TLB

Post by TLB »

Why is it that I can no-miss, one or two-bomb to 1-4 (twice in a row, in between 40-60 fucking retarded deaths to restarts), but then I randomly die at an extremely easy part, then immediately lose both my other lives, with a game over in about fifteen seconds, leaving me shaking my head slowly and mouthing, "What the fuh..."?

Other than that, there's not too much a bomb can't handle.

This game makes me love music and hate video games.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Which parts of 1-4 are giving you trouble? I'm way too out of practice to give specific advice, but it couldn't hurt to discuss it. Others might chip in too. Also, if you're not against using the game's practice mode, give it a go - it'll cut your frustration in half, most likely.

When I last played UD I'd no-miss to 1-5 pretty consistently - the hard parts were defnitely those damn turrets in 1-4. I found it best to be extremely proactive about eliminating them - if they get a few starbursts + EMP bombs off, you can quickly end up in bomb-or-die territory. Keep the rocket option readied for when you know they're coming up, and destroy them ASAP.

Same goes for those three heavy trains you fight midway through the level. Keep the rocket ready to go, and hit them ASAP. Due to the screen-flooding attacks these enemies use, destroying them ASAP is key. I'm stating the obvious, but seriously; you can go from a bullet nightmare to virtually clear screens if you're quick about things.