GD: Ibara (PCB/Arcade mode PS2 only)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
it290

Post by it290 »

Are you sure you didn't bomb? It takes those buildings a little while to blow up, so it's possible you destroyed them with part of a bomb and then continued firing, resulting in the medals appearing anyway. That would be the most likely theory. Then again, I havedone something similar with the tanks in stage 2, so I'm not sure.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Shapermc wrote:Also; I hate to be a crab ass, but would also like to see what Bullet Magnet suggested and bring over into an Ibara thread all the relevant Garagga information with the slight updates it needs for Ibara. It would save people the problem of moving back and forth between threads, and narrowing out the confusion.
I am working on an Ibara ST with all relevant information. I am very busy at the moment though, so you'll just have to be patient and wait.
it290 wrote:Are you sure you didn't bomb? It takes those buildings a little while to blow up, so it's possible you destroyed them with part of a bomb and then continued firing, resulting in the medals appearing anyway. That would be the most likely theory.
Regarding the buildings in stage1: the best way to safely release all the medals from the large warehouse buildings (the ones that reveal 16 Medals) is to position your ship right on top of the building when you bomb. When bombing, you create a little burst around your ship similar to the split-second "aura flash" when you power up, and this burst is powerful enough to destroy these buildings in one hit.

Also very useful in quickly destroying the buildings with the two crane arms as well ^_-
Shapermc

Post by Shapermc »

it290 wrote:Are you sure you didn't bomb? It takes those buildings a little while to blow up, so it's possible you destroyed them with part of a bomb and then continued firing, resulting in the medals appearing anyway. That would be the most likely theory. Then again, I havedone something similar with the tanks in stage 2, so I'm not sure.
See, that is why I mention that it happen twice. The first time I was not really positive, but the second time I had not used a bomb at all that level yet.
Icarus wrote:I am working on an Ibara ST with all relevant information. I am very busy at the moment though, so you'll just have to be patient and wait.
Excellent. Thanks.
Once the great legend of the joystick master, I am now a ronin floating the boards hoping to strike with a post.
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

Any significance with the title screen changes? Sometimes it is a bunch of robots, sometimes it isn't....

OT good to see you Shapermc :D
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Shapermc wrote: See, that is why I mention that it happen twice. The first time I was not really positive, but the second time I had not used a bomb at all that level yet.
Picking up a powerup or weapon creates a quick aura flash that acts like a bomb. So it can blow up small buildings and enemies, etc. Especially useful at the start of stage 1 for getting medals up quickly.
it290

Post by it290 »

Any significance with the title screen changes? Sometimes it is a bunch of robots, sometimes it isn't....
I think it just cycles between the different screens in attract mode.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Shapermc

Post by Shapermc »

cigsthecat wrote:
Shapermc wrote:See, that is why I mention that it happen twice. The first time I was not really positive, but the second time I had not used a bomb at all that level yet.
Picking up a powerup or weapon creates a quick aura flash that acts like a bomb. So it can blow up small buildings and enemies, etc. Especially useful at the start of stage 1 for getting medals up quickly.
Yup, I played like three rounds last night and it happen on the last. The aura flash is exactly what did it. It seems like I never figure out new techniques, damn!

thesuperkillerxxx wrote:OT good to see you Shapermc :D
Heya! You hiding around here still? Good to see some fimiliar faces. Is the Sheep still around? I thought cigs dropped off the face of the earth before I left, and then I come back to see him a regular poster. Same with Seven Force. I assume that Matt left, right? I tried to keep in touch with Click, but now he is completly gone. Bahh, time messes with me.
Once the great legend of the joystick master, I am now a ronin floating the boards hoping to strike with a post.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Shapermc wrote:Is the Sheep still around? I thought cigs dropped off the face of the earth before I left, and then I come back to see him a regular poster. Same with Seven Force.
sadly the sheep has disappeared. :( i have not seen him around for a good many months...

and seven force is now CIT. :wink:
I have no sig whatsoever.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

can anyone post the peak scores for the stages? So i get an idea on how good i'm doing...
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Archer's stage-ending scores from the videos on Superplay:

St 1- 2.3 million

St 2- 5.4 million

St 3- 6.8 million

St 4- 9.6 million

St 5- 13.7 million

St 6- 16.5 million
shmup-o

Post by shmup-o »

Dumbass question of the day... I know the trick to get different ships in Garegga - is it the same for Ibara? I'll probably mess around with different button combos later...
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Read Icarus' third post on the first page of this thread. There are two ships, each with 4 different subtypes.

On PS2 you select your ship type in the options menu.
shmup-o

Post by shmup-o »

That's what I get for never looking at the options.

Thanks Cigs!
Tak

Post by Tak »

Kiel wrote:That "aura flash" will do huge amounts of damage to bosses too. If you get killed on a boss make sure you grab your power ups right on top of them. :twisted:
Hi guys... new bullet here... :)

Is there a rank increase involved when quickly switching between different weapons?

Tried to work the aura-flash into my gameplay but it didn't work out as expected since the outcome can be a little unpredictable, just like the aura-flash when collecting powerups, sometimes I miscount how many small powerups I collected before and then accidentally hit an enemy ship because I expected a flash but it didn't happen...
-~=This is not similation. Get ready to destoroy the enemy.
Target for the weak points of f**kin' machine.
Do your best you have ever done. =~-
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Tak wrote: Hi guys... new bullet here... :)

Is there a rank increase involved when quickly switching between different weapons?
Picking up any weapon icons increases rank by a small amount. Rank increases faster the more powerful weapons you have.

Icarus did a table on the first page of this thread that puts the weapons in order of rank/power.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think most people are using boring old machine guns and maybe one gatling up until the second boss. Most people go bananas for napalm at this point and try to kill everything as quickly as possible on level 3. I'm pretty sure going back down to machine guns is a good tactic for the first half of stage 4 though, it's not that taxing until you get past the midboss. Extra firepower seems to be needed for the large ships at the end though.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

yeah, beside that, the game will basically force you to follow some specific power-up patterns. I find impossible to dodge the rockets on stage 4, and beside that, they're the only chance to quickly defeat the carriers.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

How exactly do i trigger the secret 1-up on the fourth mid-boss?
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Randorama wrote:How exactly do i trigger the secret 1-up on the fourth mid-boss?
Destroy the wings, then the body.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Randorama wrote:yeah, beside that, the game will basically force you to follow some specific power-up patterns. I find impossible to dodge the rockets on stage 4, and beside that, they're the only chance to quickly defeat the carriers.
It seems quite easy to trigger the homing special power up at this point. I think it is done by missing 3 or 4 bomb icons before picking up the weapon, but I'm not positive on this. Does anyone know the conditions to get the special power ups?

Homing missiles seem to be a better bet for making the second half of the stage easier IMO. Getting them from the midboss is tricky business though, you need to wait till both wings are firing purple bullets and its middle is firing out popcorn ships that drop them. The boss is usually a touch angry at this point...
Shapermc

Post by Shapermc »

For Archers website is there any way to get stage 1-5 replays?
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Shapermc wrote:Ok, so I have a possibly strange question. I have done this twice, but have no idea how. I have exposed medals in buildings without bombing. Both times it was in the first stage.
Those buildings with the twin rotary-arm turrets will give you a medal if you destroy a turret with shot BEFORE taking the whole thing down. Using a bomb on the turret doesn't give you a medal.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Tak

Post by Tak »

gameoverDude wrote:
Shapermc wrote:Ok, so I have a possibly strange question. I have done this twice, but have no idea how. I have exposed medals in buildings without bombing. Both times it was in the first stage.
Those buildings with the twin rotary-arm turrets will give you a medal if you destroy a turret with shot BEFORE taking the whole thing down. Using a bomb on the turret doesn't give you a medal.
Using Hadougun (not the regular spread bomb) on the buildings on the left in level 1 gives you a lot of winged medals, found that out by accident.

However, I guess the bonus/score reward of that doesn't balance out the rank increase caused by the Hadou...
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

hadous dont increase your rank i think...?!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
stratos

Post by stratos »

I think it woul'd be a great waste to use Hadou on the first level, since you can free those medals with minimal bomb reserve, exploiting the incredibly powerful "aura beam" that comes out when you use a bomb or even when you upgrade your shot level or take a new option weapon.

Expected to say, you shoul'd try to make your medal value go up using the bomb repetedly, like Archer does in its superplay. It takes a bit of practice, but even if you cannot make your medal value at maximum, you can rise it of a good amount, and earn an extend at the end of the stage that can be exploited to tame the rank. I've managed to maximize medal value before the first large medal building two or three times using Dyne (D), that's slower than Bond: it requires practice, but it's also rewarding to do. But I don't like that type A, B and C hasn't a strategical bomb like D types: with those variants, the level one strategy seems nearly impossible to do, since if you dont have einouhg bomb fragments, your bomb attack will result in a (scuse for the low language) little fart...

Then, at the boss, you can suicide many times also to gain an Hadou charge, that coul'd be exploited to finish Meidi or milk the aircrafts at the start of Level two. Yes, Yagawa had pity of lower skilled player :) giving them the chance to use Hadou for tougher bosses and level sections rather than for extra score (for experts). Impressive flexibiliy, don't you think?

However Meidi milking it's really hard when the big central gatling gun apperars: if you shot it down while there is even onother one turret on the wings or the body, dodging the sword fan attack it's a big pain.
Shapermc

Post by Shapermc »

stratos wrote:I think it woul'd be a great waste to use Hadou on the first level, since you can free those medals with minimal bomb reserve, exploiting the incredibly powerful "aura beam" that comes out when you use a bomb or even when you upgrade your shot level or take a new option weapon.
Call me an idiot please, but dosen't a Hadou cost the same if you have a full bomb in stock anyways? Dosen't the game use full bombs before using the parts of a bomb?

I would love to be told I am wrong.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

You're not wrong, but he was talking about not saving up for a full bomb on the first level as you get a better score if you constantly bomb everything.

You only get a full bomb icon after 2 suicides on the boss if you use this tactic.
stratos

Post by stratos »

Shapermc wrote:dosen't a Hadou cost the same if you have a full bomb in stock anyways?

Yes, it does. But the best strategy for stage 1 milking woul'd probably involve the repeated use of little bomb fragments against flying enemies, since every flying enemy shut down with the bomb will release an item. Since the item chain is shot - medal - shot - medal -option, the best strategy is:

1 - use a bomb against two or three (according to what point of the item chain you are) flying enemies and at least a tank (that will release another bomb fragment);

2 - catch the fragment and the medal. You can shot the flying enemies with the bomb and the tank with the aura, being on the top of the tank while bombing, so fragment catch is automatic and the operation is quickier.

So, you end up by having catched a medal (upgrading its value by one step) and a small bomb fragment. If you repeat this tricky strategy continuously, you shoul'd be able to maximize medal value before the first big building that release 16 medals if bombed, earning 16 maxed out medals (160.000 points). You coul'd find difficult to destroy the big buildings with a little bomb fragment, so use the aura beam that comes out from your ship when you bomb: it has the power of a ful powered bomb attack!! :)

So, I didn't recommend you to hoard bomb fragments 'till those buildings, since it's better to use them in small pieces to make medal value going up, and to use another (small) fragment to destroy them, obtaining a perceptibly better score.

This strategy works the best with "D" types, either Bond or Dyne, but it coul'd probably done with other types, by shooting at more than one little tank and hoarding a much bigger bomber amount, then bombing the helis, but I have to say that woul'd probably impossible to MAXIMIZE the value (10.000 points) before the buildings this way.

Another important thing: in stage one, before the large medal container buildings, there are two smaller vertical structures that release three medals if bombed. The first is on the left at the start of the stage, the second is after the first building with the rotating turrets, on the right. They release three medals: if you move vertically from south to north while bombing these buildings, you'll be able to catch the medals one by one as they appear on screen, upgrading medal value by three steps!!! So, try to involve this in your strategy.

In the end, all the enemies and target in the first stage, unless the rotating turrets and the arms, are worth their basic value X 10 if bombed.

If you can make all these things to work well together in your strategy, you shoul'd earn an extend before the end of Portown, so three extra life in stock. At the boss, suicide at the start to tame the rank a bit and gain some fragments to bomb the falling tail (use the aura! With it, you can destroy the tail even if you are positioned ABOVE it, great to compense Dyne slowness! :)), then suicide two times at the hardest point during boss milking to gain an Hadou to finish the boss. Or hoard Hadou charge to milk the aircrafts and petrol pumps at the beginning of stage 2 (very great scoring choice)!!!

For an exmaple of this strategy, check the Archer (ACR) video on www.super-play.co.uk . He involves also some interesting aura beam techniques at the start, shooting down some flying enemies by simply getting powerups, making the aura to come out... cool!!! :) He uses Bond (D), but I managed to maximize medal value before the first large building for three times with Dyne (D), so it shoul'd be possible to do with both ships.

For the aura beam, i'd like to spend some words since I think it is the most powerful weapon in the game except the Hadou Gun. The aura beam comes out when:

1 - you upgrade your shot. If you take a surplus powerup or a small powerup icon that is insufficient to upgrade your shot, the aura doesn't come out;

2 - you take an option. In this case, the beam comes out only if you take the option on a free side of your ship or if you "change weapon". If you take a surpuls weapon icon, the aura does not come out.

3 - You use a bomb. To maximise inflicted damage, bomb your foe at close range (or possibly on top), so he is hit by the bomb and the aura at the same time.

The aura beam count as a full bomb in terms of power, score (you obtain the same bomb score from enemies shut down) and special effect (gaining medals from scenery, items from all flying enemies ecc. ecc.), but has an advantage: it doesn't use hoarded fragments. Unfortunately, I don't know how it influences the rank increment...

I'm not calling you idiot; if I was, the idiot woul'd be me :) I apologize if I wasn't clear at the point that you misunderstood me. I'm a very friendly type that dislikes to offend people and doesn't like flaming in general, especially if really wasn't a reason to offend, like in our case. I hope that you are right with the matter and find my information helpful to your play! :)
Tak

Post by Tak »

stratos wrote:I think it woul'd be a great waste to use Hadou on the first level, since you can free those medals with minimal bomb reserve, exploiting the incredibly powerful "aura beam" that comes out when you use a bomb or even when you upgrade your shot level or take a new option weapon.
I agree, using the Hadou to get the medals in level 1 is a bit of a waste. I didn't know you can also get them by using the Aura Flash effects, thanks for the info.
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

a free little tip for anyone who cares :

refrain from bombing the bosses unless you kill them, as if they survive it will only make them madder, and they will probably kill you :)