GD: Ibara (PCB/Arcade mode PS2 only)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
brokenhalo

Re: GD: Ibara (PCB/Arcade mode PS2 only)

Post by brokenhalo »

trap15 wrote:Watch Archer's replay here: http://page.freett.com/acresp/index.htm

Fantastic stage 1. Takes a fair bit of practice to really 'get' it, but once you do, it's fantastic to be able to pull it off. max medals before the first warehouse awww yeeeeeah
cool. its been a while since i watched that. it's amazing how many little tricks he crams into that 20 second patch after the suicide. i'll try to steal some more.

ahhh. and he does kind of what i was thinking, but he's smart enough to let them come down the screen to let the hadou fly. smart :idea:

and thanks for the link. better quality than the youtube upload.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

brokenhalo wrote:quick dumb question. i'm playing on the pcb and sometimes the stage 3 midboss jumps up off the screen and just disappears. is there a reliable way to trigger this event?

and just so we're all on the same page, sometimes when i go into the fight, the very first thing he will do is hop up the screen, but he will actually jump too far up and just disappear. no explosion or anything, and the screen just starts scrolling again like the fight is over.
happened again today. i've got the kill down-pat, so he's no big deal now. it's pretty hilarious when it happens though.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

I have had him do that to me a couple of times and indeed it looks frigging ridiculous.
zlk

Post by zlk »

A few questions:

1) Sometimes when the Hadou trail touches the side of a boss or mid-boss it does incredible damage and sometimes insta-kills it, then other times doesn't seem to do much damage at all. Is there some logic to this? I thought hitting a boss with the hadou while not firing did the most damage. Maybe I am wrong.....

An example of this is the stage 6 mid-boss where in the replays it seems everyone fires a hadou at the side of the plane and it just dies instantly.

2) What is the easiest way to kill the stage 5 boss? I get there quite frequently and unless I have enough bombs, I die. When I get to the final form there seems to be three types of attacks. One is a circular fire in all directions attack which is easy to avoid as you stay on top of the boss and shoot. The second is when its firing purple bullets down and that is easy to deal with by staying at the top of the screen. The final type just insta kills me when it fires blue bullets that spread out. Any tips on dodging this attack or preventing it from appearing?

(I asked #2 years ago and was wondering if there is any updated information or new tricks, the stage 5 boss still gives me fits)
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

zlk wrote: 1) Sometimes when the Hadou trail touches the side of a boss or mid-boss it does incredible damage and sometimes insta-kills it, then other times doesn't seem to do much damage at all. Is there some logic to this? I thought hitting a boss with the hadou while not firing did the most damage. Maybe I am wrong.....

An example of this is the stage 6 mid-boss where in the replays it seems everyone fires a hadou at the side of the plane and it just dies instantly.
This is actually a technique. If you position the hadou such that it travels along the seam between two hitboxes, or time it such that it moves through a boss/midboss while it is in the process of transforming, the missile will continue through instead of sticking. This deals huge amounts of damage, and can be exploited to instant-kill several enemies, including the stage 6 midboss and a couple forms of the stage 5 boss.
zlk wrote: 2) What is the easiest way to kill the stage 5 boss? I get there quite frequently and unless I have enough bombs, I die. When I get to the final form there seems to be three types of attacks. One is a circular fire in all directions attack which is easy to avoid as you stay on top of the boss and shoot. The second is when its firing purple bullets down and that is easy to deal with by staying at the top of the screen. The final type just insta kills me when it fires blue bullets that spread out. Any tips on dodging this attack or preventing it from appearing?

(I asked #2 years ago and was wondering if there is any updated information or new tricks, the stage 5 boss still gives me fits)
The very short answer is that there is no easy way. It is possible, like I mentioned above, to use the hadou trick to do a lot of damage and skip the second form of the boss entirely and/or make the third form go down much quicker. However, this is really hard to describe with words.

In general, the trick to dodging Lace's attacks is to circle around and on top of her. It is impossible to hit her body throughout the entire fight, so exploit that as much as you possibly can. Tight circles work well through most of the final form; looser ones for her first few. Keeping rank low will help a LOT with making sure her attacks are dodgeable. Also, the higher rank is, the more difficult it will be to hit her with a hadou-- something to keep in mind. She will actively dodge your fire at high rank.

The blue spreads of death are evil. Tiny, tiny circles work okay, but the timing and movement is VERY hard to get down. A better solution is to destroy her two side gun pods as soon as possible during the third phase of the fight, and hope that she doesn't use the attack before you can.
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Couldn't find this info through a search, anyone have any good ideas how many frames the aura flash lasts on picking things up? Does it vary by item type?
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

trap15 wrote:Does it vary by item type?
I don't think so. Feels really to be the same each time.

Didn't use my stop watch on it though.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Buffi

Re:

Post by Buffi »

Does anyone know how the "Special powerups" are actually triggered, cause this post doesn't describe the way to get Search correctly.
Icarus wrote:
cigsthecat wrote:How can I get the special powerup towards the end of stage 4 consistently? Needed to take out all those airships easily.
  • SEARCH: Drop five small bomb fragments, then pick up an Option powerup.
    All the equipped options will lock onto and fire at enemies within range. Usually targets boss main weakpoints.
  • WIDE: Drop five Option powerups, then pick up the sixth Option powerup.
    The side Options will point out to fire into a wide V shape (similar to Dyne Type D's main Shot), while the rear Option will retain it's usual behaviour depending on your ship subtype.
  • ROLLING: Drop five Medals, then pick up an Option powerup.
    Your Options will spin around while firing. Goddamned useless >_<;;
  • BACK: Drop five small Shot powerups, then pick up an Option powerup.
    Your Options will point to fire at your tail, in a formation similar to TFIV's unpowered up Tailgun, or Silvergun's Back-Wide (about 30degrees out back). Again, also useless >_<;;
I'll leave it up to you to decide how to best activate Search in stage4 ^_-
This states:
"Drop five small bomb fragments, then pick up an Option powerup"
which doesn't work.

I think it is in fact "pick up five small bomb fragments, then an Option powerup", because that happens at about 0:29 in this video, where Search is triggered very early.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bswv7nO9sa0&t=29s

... but yesterday I could not seem to get that to work consistently either.
Not sure if it is get exactly 5 fragments between options, 5 right before picking up the option or something else.

(that said, I mostly experimented trying to "drop" bomb fragments as described above, so I have not gone into this in-depth.)

Anyone know how this actually works?
Bit weird that there's no indepth guide for the system of this game.

edit: I'm playing on PCB, so experimenting is a bit annoying, but I could probably get it running in Mame somehow to experiment and figure it out if I have to...
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Did some testing, it's definitely:

1. Pick up something that isn't a bomb fragment (option, medal, power up)
2. Pick up exactly 5 bomb fragments
3. Pick up option

For Search formation