GD: Ibara (PCB/Arcade mode PS2 only)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Grabbing weapon change items gives a moment of invulnerability similar to Zanac Neo. Bullets will be turned into roses if you come into contact with them during this.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

That's the "aura flash" you're talking about. It only happens for a split second when you collect a new subweapon, or when your ship increases Shot power level. The aura is very very shortranged, and it is not a recommended strategy to rely on constant weapon changes a-la Zanac Neo.

Good to get you out of a fix though, if you know what you're doing ^_-
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

That "aura flash" will do huge amounts of damage to bosses too. If you get killed on a boss make sure you grab your power ups right on top of them. :twisted:
zlk

Post by zlk »

Has anyone figured out how to turn some of the blue bullets into flowers? Sometimes when the stage 2 boss is in its last attack, I can shoot and turn some of the bullets into flowers. It doesn't always work either.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Does anyone know the determining factors in the stage 3 boss attacks?

After the initial attack of swords and an aimed machine gun, the order of the attacks appears to be random in it's second form. Blue swords is the easiest of it's attacks, but normally it will be blue circular bullets from one of the left or right slots on it's back (or both slots at the same time or, god help you, both slots AND the swords).

I notice the archer replay manages to conveniently miss all the blue circular patterns, although I find it hard to tell what he is doing differently from the norm. He destroys both side guns that drop rockets and then triggers the second stage attack.

I'm willing to bet his game is at a higher rank than when I get to that boss yet I can't find a regular way of avoiding those blue bullets. Even a strategy to avoid getting both sets of bullets at the same time would really help.
SAM

Post by SAM »

freddiebamboo wrote:Does anyone know the determining factors in the stage 3 boss attacks?
That's totally depands on the mood of Kasumi. :o

That is hard to guess. As you should already know, Girls are unpredictable... :lol:
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

Am i correct in my assumption/estimation that you get 50,000 pts for waiting for the little ship to drop off the stage 1 boss and destroying it before it leaves the bottom of the screen?

kind of difficult to get the timing right sometimes, as it tends to get destroyed while still attached to the boss if you are heavily powered-up
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Yes, you get 50k for it. Try not to pick up rockets or too many 5-ways on Stage 1 and you can be fairly precise.
zlk wrote:Has anyone figured out how to turn some of the blue bullets into flowers? Sometimes when the stage 2 boss is in its last attack, I can shoot and turn some of the bullets into flowers. It doesn't always work either.
Are you sure you aren't bombing (maybe 1 or 2 fragments left) or dying, then picking up a powerup as this occurs? I haven't noticed this happening.

freddie: You really need a hadou in stock for the third boss. Ideally you would destoy the first form just by shooting, loading up on rockets when they are dropped. Then survive as long as you can after that and look for a good time to place the hadou.

Once you get more experience with Stage 3 you'll be reaching the boss with 2-4 hadou cannons in stock anyway.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

zlk wrote:Has anyone figured out how to turn some of the blue bullets into flowers? Sometimes when the stage 2 boss is in its last attack, I can shoot and turn some of the bullets into flowers. It doesn't always work either.
Or maybe it's the remnants of the "trail" of a hadou you fired earlier on? It lasts for a bit after you fire it and turns bullets to flowers that touch it...
zakk

Post by zakk »

DC906270 wrote:Am i correct in my assumption/estimation that you get 50,000 pts for waiting for the little ship to drop off the stage 1 boss and destroying it before it leaves the bottom of the screen?

kind of difficult to get the timing right sometimes, as it tends to get destroyed while still attached to the boss if you are heavily powered-up
The 'falling' part is worth 50k if destroyed by a bomb. I'm not so sure you have to wait for it to fall, either.
sffan

Post by sffan »

Collecting those "$" things on the ground doesn't give me any points, so why should I bother picking them up?
SHOOT IT QUICKLY !
5parrowhawk

Post by 5parrowhawk »

Can somebody point me to an "Ibara for Dummies" guide? This game is absolutely slaughtering me (mediocre shmup player, never played a Raizing game) - I can't even get past Gloire de Midi.

orz

o...rz

More specifically, I get the basic idea of the rank system and the fact that you need to use a lot of bombs (and occasionally suicide) in order to keep the rank manageable and score high. However, I find that it usually goes something like this (using the default plane and settings):

(1) bomb a couple of times early in stage 1
(2) save up a hadou for Orange Meillandina
(3) work Meidi down to the point where she's firing her wide spread vulcan, then either:

- screw up and die
- panic and drop a bomb, which doesn't kill her, and end up dying
- actually remember to pop the hadou, and win

(4) go through stage 2, bombing a couple of times, and find myself bomb-less (or with one very weak bomb) facing down Midi,
(5) get utterly slaughtered.

One time I did manage to hit Midi with a hadou after losing a couple lives, but she survived.

Is there a trick to fighting the bosses w/o using hadou? The large hitbox isn't helping much.

I also get the sense that I'm letting the rank go up too high in the later part of stage 1, but I can't confirm that.

Help...?
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

@5parrowhawk

If your having problems with the stage 1 boss, concentrate your fire on its cockpit rather than milking it's wings for points. The final sword attack is far easier if you don't piss her off too much.

You probably aren't raising rank that much in stage 1 unless you are at full medals and 3 lives at the boss. An easy initial target is to leave stage 1 with around 700k (not hard even without milking the boss), 1 life lost/suicided (do this at a hard boss attack) and some bomb fragments.

Now, stay to the left of the screen at the begining of stage 2 and kill the first 2 waves of ships, then bomb the higher up of the circular buildings, then the one below it. This should give you an extra life by hitting 1 mil and the breathing space of being able to lose a life during the stage and a life at the boss.

It's best to go against the 2nd boss with 1 life spare and a few bomb fragments. Kill the floating thing by staying at 10 and 2 O'clock of it, constantly forcing it to turn. Kill the next stage by just dodging on one side of it's gatling gun. You may need to bomb this part if you let it live for too long. Now destroy the flame throwers and the back bits to get napalm and lose your life/dodge amazingly well on the final attack. Don't think twice about bombing here even after you've already lost a life, you'll get loads of bombs on stage 3.
it290

Post by it290 »

Stay at 10 and 2 o'clock of the floating thing, or keep it at 10 and 2 o'clock of your ship? The first form's blue bullet spread usually gets me or forces me to bomb, are you saying it's better to stay above it on the screen (and hit it with option fire if possible)?
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Yeah, always stay above the floating thing at the very beginning. Aim your options at it until it dies. Be careful not to get caught at the top of the screen when the next part begins it's large circular blue bullets after the first thing dies.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

it290 wrote:Stay at 10 and 2 o'clock of the floating thing, or keep it at 10 and 2 o'clock of your ship? The first form's blue bullet spread usually gets me or forces me to bomb, are you saying it's better to stay above it on the screen (and hit it with option fire if possible)?
Yes, you want to be slightly above it or to it's side most of the time, circling over it everytime it turns on you. Hit it with your options and take your time.

At the start of the boss fight you'll want to be close to it on one side, I would say nearer 9 o'clock of it, and sweep round it's back as it turns to shoot.

Use the practise mode to get a handle on it and you shouldn't ever lose a bomb or life on this part.

EDIT: cigs beat me to it :(
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Also, don't know if it's been mentioned, but when you initially hold down bomb to set up a hadou you get an aura blast of invincibility as the red target appears. Slightly useful/dangerous to put into practise...
it290

Post by it290 »

On stage 2, do you guys bomb the formations of small air enemies? Because when I do, I seem to get fewer medals out of them than when I just shoot them immediately. Maybe I need to let off the fire button when bombing them, I dunno.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

it290 wrote:On stage 2, do you guys bomb the formations of small air enemies? Because when I do, I seem to get fewer medals out of them than when I just shoot them immediately. Maybe I need to let off the fire button when bombing them, I dunno.
You should only be bombing hadou's on small enemies if you are going into stage 2 with a full bomb or are getting the full bomb icons from the tanks. Look at archers video on superplay to see how it is done.

I only bomb the medal buildings and the 2 gatling gun planes at the end of the stage for score. Also bombing the tanks is a good idea, as you can get a full bomb icon if you do it right and it always gives you bomb icons to replenish your stock. Cigsthecat has a far better score and is probably doing what archer is in the superplay (going into stage 2 with a full bomb and getting full bomb icons on each tank).

If you just concentrate on getting every medal building you'll get a good enough score to earn the extends you need for suiciding down the rank and getting to the boss with an extra life or 2.

Getting the full bomb icons from the tanks needs a lot of skill and planning (all options need to be either machine gun or gatling) and I'm a whore for picking up anything thats flying down the screen :cry:

If anyone can shed light on a foolproof way to bomb the tanks and get a full bomb I'll be very grateful.
5parrowhawk

Post by 5parrowhawk »

freddiebamboo: Thanks, that should help... I think. I do try to concentrate fire, but it's a little tricky.

I guess the other thing to ask is... How do you set your Options' targeting style? I can usually get them to aim here and there, but sometimes they change formation and go into auto-tracking mode or something. What triggers that?
BER

Post by BER »

Just for reference, I'll quote this:
freddiebamboo wrote:Now destroy the flame throwers and the back bits to get napalm and lose your life/dodge amazingly well on the final attack.
5parrowhawk, are you playing to clear the game in the easiest way possible? If so, you can prevent the final attack from happening by letting the boss "time out" in her flamethrower form. Destroy the flamethrowers, but don't destroy the two front guns that each fire three aimed bullets (if you destroy these guns, the boss will fire from her back guns bullets that form large triangles, which are tougher to dodge). That way, all you have to dodge are those aimed bullets until the boss "times out", which takes a few minutes. I don't know how this strategy affects rank, but it might save you a bomber or a life.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

freddiebamboo wrote: If anyone can shed light on a foolproof way to bomb the tanks and get a full bomb I'll be very grateful.
Only destroy the two long cannons on the rotating turret. If you leave the center rotating piece (square shape) alone, then bomb the tank you will get the full bomb. I'm doing this at the moment.

The strings of popcorn enemies that come in periodically are meant to be bombed with the hadou, you get a lot of medals this way. The full bombs from the tanks help facilitate this.

Also remember that if the tanks aren't destroyed, they travel up the screen and back over medal pots so you don't get a chance to bomb them.

I kill of all my remaining ships at the stage 1 boss; this way I get a hadou for the beginning of 2 and don't have to suicide during the stage.
tekneekz

Post by tekneekz »

the way i get the bombs every time from the tanks is to kill the turrets than bomb the center area. the wheels dont have to be blown, just blow the turrets out on them first til the turret stubb is left on the top part of the tank than bomb that. knida hard to explain but i hope u get the picture sorry.
it290

Post by it290 »

Cool. Getting those full bombs is really helping my score. I have noticed with the popcorn enemies, though, sometimes if you just shoot them - particularly the formation that flies in near the bridge with the two medal dispensers right above it - they will sometimes all release medals in a row. Not sure if this is just random or what. Also with the tanks, I sometimes get the full bomb even after finishing them off with a shot - ie I bomb a medal dispenser, the tank catches some of the bomb, and then I shoot it a little bit while hovering right over it and it gives me the bomb.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

it290 wrote:I have noticed with the popcorn enemies, though, sometimes if you just shoot them - particularly the formation that flies in near the bridge with the two medal dispensers right above it - they will sometimes all release medals in a row.
These drone chains in stage2 have to be destroyed in a certain manner or at a certain time to force them to drop lots of items. Usually you leave them to loop under a bridge/rock platform/scaffold before you destroy them. Keep in mind that these chains are made up of different types of enemies, one type must be bombed to drop an item, the other type can be shot or bombed.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Hmm... I have my reserves about suiciding down the rank, when I'm already having enough trouble reaching the first life extend...

And how exactly does medal chaining work? Because today I saw the big fat medals for the first time and I don't know what I did to earn them. If it's exactly the same as Garegga then I'll go have a look at the ST for that game instead.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hmm... I have my reserves about suiciding down the rank, when I'm already having enough trouble reaching the first life extend...
At first, don't worry about suiciding or anything like that, take some time to just get used to the game. From there, the next step (as the Garegga ST suggests) might be to not collect too many powerful weapons, and make do with less firepower to tame the rank some: once you're good enough to do that (and score well), you might work out a routine of killing yourself, heh heh.

As for medals, it's the same as Garegga: basically, if you collect a medal that appears, the value of the next medal will be higher than the first was, starting at 100 points and going as high as 10,000. If you let a medal drop off the bottom of the screen without collecting it, the value will reset to 100 points. There are a few situations where you can "save yourself" though: for example, if you reveal 2 medals at once and miss the first one, if you can collect the second one before revealing any additional medals, the chain will be safe. As you surmised, other stuff about them should pretty much be covered in the Garegga ST (I'm waiting for the equally-tell-all Ibara thread though, heh heh).
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

One slight change from Battle Garegga: Before the medal value can go up, you must have the screen absolutely, positively clear of medals.

If you just blew up a large 4x4 building and now have a pile of 5000 medals, you'll need to get them all cleaned up before a 6000 one will appear. Otherwise the next medal that shows will be the current value, 5000.

When you're going to bomb one of those small 3 medal buildings in Stage 1, put yourself right in the spot where the bottom medal will appear. Bomb the building and move up. If your timing is perfect you'll take the chain up 3 steps.

I'll usually suicide against bosses only. I'll milk the hell out of Meidi until the final wide sword attack starts up. At that moment I'll suicide and go for an Aura Flash finish. Having blown off all my bombs throughout Stage 1, I'll need the 1/2 bomb for the medal pots that come early in stage 2.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
it290

Post by it290 »

I'm sure you guys have noticed the severe effects that rank can have on the bosses. However, I was wondering -- aside from certain weapons being more powerful, are particular enemies more vulnerable to a certain weapon type (specifically the bosses)? That seems to be the case at times, but I'm not sure if this is just the effect of rank or not.
Shapermc

Post by Shapermc »

Ok, so I have a possibly strange question. I have done this twice, but have no idea how. I have exposed medals in buildings without bombing. Both times it was in the first stage.

Also; I hate to be a crab ass, but would also like to see what Bullet Magnet suggested and bring over into an Ibara thread all the relevant Garagga information with the slight updates it needs for Ibara. It would save people the problem of moving back and forth between threads, and narrowing out the confusion.
Once the great legend of the joystick master, I am now a ronin floating the boards hoping to strike with a post.