GD: Ibara Black Label/PS2 Arrange mode

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Uhhhh how to trigger 1-up item on stage 4? I triggered that once yesterday but dunno how, i'm playing this game a lot on arrange mode since i finished psyvariar 2 with true last boss ftw
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
RotateMe

Post by RotateMe »

Started playing this game a weak or so ago. I'm a bit surprised by the scores that are posted at the beginning of this thread. I'm absolutely no good player and I have problems getting past stage 2 most of the time but I can most often score 9 million at stage 1 by following the strategies posted here. Is there a real BIG difference in the scores you will get in Black Label and Arrange or is it just that I am not SUCH a bad player? The highest score I have is about 30 million in stage 3. I would like to know but it takes a lot of time to get to the damn highscore tables... is there a way to get there more quikly then waiting for the right one to appear or playing one round of the mode you want to see the highscores?

Edit: I just managed to get an extend before the first boss! Was to nervous after that too try to milk the first boss so I ended up with 12 million at the end of the stage but with 3 lifes in stock. Lost them all in stage 2 and ended up with a score of 14 million... lol

And BTW: do you loose a life in stage 1 very early way too often too? I end up having to play the first stage about 5 times to get through it without dying before the boss, level 2 is pretty easy in comparison. Anyone else feeling like that?
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

RotateMe wrote:Started playing this game a weak or so ago. I'm a bit surprised by the scores that are posted at the beginning of this thread. I'm absolutely no good player and I have problems getting past stage 2 most of the time but I can most often score 9 million at stage 1 by following the strategies posted here. Is there a real BIG difference in the scores you will get in Black Label and Arrange or is it just that I am not SUCH a bad player? The highest score I have is about 30 million in stage 3. I would like to know but it takes a lot of time to get to the damn highscore tables... is there a way to get there more quikly then waiting for the right one to appear or playing one round of the mode you want to see the highscores?

Edit: I just managed to get an extend before the first boss! Was to nervous after that too try to milk the first boss so I ended up with 12 million at the end of the stage but with 3 lifes in stock. Lost them all in stage 2 and ended up with a score of 14 million... lol

And BTW: do you loose a life in stage 1 very early way too often too? I end up having to play the first stage about 5 times to get through it without dying before the boss, level 2 is pretty easy in comparison. Anyone else feeling like that?
I manage to beat first boss on maximum rank without losing any life, it's not that difficult to pull off you need just to bomb when he shoots rotating bullet patterns, i only get 2,8 mil max
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

RotateMe wrote: Is there a real BIG difference in the scores you will get in Black Label and Arrange or is it just that I am not SUCH a bad player?
It is much harder to score in Black Label than Arrange. They use different scoring systems.

Overall Arrange is much easier than Black Label too.
RotateMe

Post by RotateMe »

TWE wrote:It is much harder to score in Black Label than Arrange. They use different scoring systems.
:?: How do you score in black label then? The score system description bits on top of this thread sound very much the same like the score system I figured out while playing arrange. Or do you mean that they just give other values of points for the same actions?

Anyways... it sucks that you don't get a place on the highscore table when you used the restart option only in level 1. The loading times are very long because I have a modded PS2 and it saves much time to just use restard instead of going back to the menu, starting arrange and waiting till the sisters did their greatings...
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

RotateMe wrote: :?: How do you score in black label then? The score system description bits on top of this thread sound very much the same like the score system I figured out while playing arrange. Or do you mean that they just give other values of points for the same actions?
The main scoring comes from the XTC bullet scratching/chaining system. You need to get this multiplier up high, then it's added to all the enemies you destroy. The Baradise system, where you bomb stuff when the rank is high or at max and get the x300 multiplier, gives you very few points in the game, compared to arrange mode where this is the main way to score. But if you use the Baradise multiplier when you have a high XTC multiplier (+9999 is ideal), then you get big points. Normally you can only do this on the bosses though. Throughout the levels you basically just have to play at max rank and weave through all the bullets while scratching bullets and chaining enemies to increase the XTC multiplier. Sorta like Mushi or DDP.
RotateMe

Post by RotateMe »

Hmmm seems a bit strange that they added a completely new scoring mechanic, especially when it has nothing to do with the other system that was well fun. Do the two system come along with each other? Is the black label system fun?
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Yeah the two systems work together alright, though you don't use the Baradise very much, as I said. Black Label is fun for awhile, but nothing spectacular really. I played it for about 3 weeks and that was enough for me. I found the boss milking you have to do to score tends to get rather tedious and boring after awhile. :?

After I played IBL for 3 weeks I went back to the original Ibara and discovered that is the superior game. :wink:

Ibara>Ibara Black Label>Ibara Arrange
RotateMe

Post by RotateMe »

Hmm can't really get into Ibara original. It seems unforgivingly hard. The funny thing is, like it happens to me often, on my first try I made it to the boss of stage 3 and thought "man this game could be my first cave 1cc". After reading some strategy and understood the medaling system I went back to it and screwed up all 3 lifes on stage 1. Now, even if I don't try to score high I can't make it as far so easy as I made it on my first try.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Ibara isn't too hard once you get used to the system, and learn to medal chain. Just remember to never have more than 2 lives at a time (1 or zero is best) to control rank. Watch some superplay vids and you can pick up some easy scoring techniques.
zlk

Post by zlk »

TWE wrote:Ibara isn't too hard once you get used to the system, and learn to medal chain. Just remember to never have more than 2 lives at a time (1 or zero is best) to control rank. Watch some superplay vids and you can pick up some easy scoring techniques.
TWE is correct about the lives thing. You may like having more than two lives in reserve, but once you hit stage 4 the rank will increase dramatically and the game will become nearly impossible. Personally, I prefer to only have one man in reserve when stage 4 begins.

The medal speed is the best indicator of the rank. If medals are dropping down the screen too fast, then you have let the rank get too high.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Sorry for reviving old thread, but i don't know how to do the hadou missile >> i play this game like 3 months and haven't figured it out yet, it would be useful for gaining the extends and bosses
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

Kaiser wrote:Sorry for reviving old thread, but i don't know how to do the hadou missile >> i play this game like 3 months and haven't figured it out yet, it would be useful for gaining the extends and bosses
when you have a large bomb item press & hold your bomb button and you'll see some fire-ish smoke coming from out of under your craft then release the bomb button when even you want.
warning: a huge warning sign is approaching fast!
http://community.livejournal.com/the_dump_ever/profile/
AKRATEN

Re: GD: Ibara Black Label/PS2 Arrange mode

Post by AKRATEN »

I have a quick question
is Ibara Black and Ibara / ps 2 Arrange the same?

also I downloaded a video from super play

http://www.super-play.co.uk/index.php?c ... gameid=181

the guy get 20280800 in the 1st stage.

I cant figure out how to get the enemy to shoot so much at me so i can cancel.
also what does the number mean when holding down A and shooting at the boss?
multiplier?

in the very begining of this video it looks like he bombs the first cluster of enemys but there wasnt a bomba sound and there was some stream of color that came from the ship.

any help with this would be awesome,
still feeling my way around this one.
thanks

:shock:
ncp

Re: GD: Ibara Black Label/PS2 Arrange mode

Post by ncp »

AKRATEN wrote:I have a quick question
is Ibara Black and Ibara / ps 2 Arrange the same?
Nope. They share some similarities but they are not the same. Icarus actually posted a list of the differences, might want to read the thread before posting... :wink: edit: actually I think your entire post was answered on these two pages alone :roll:
I cant figure out how to get the enemy to shoot so much at me so i can cancel.
Medals raise rank which increases both enemy fire rate and the speed of the bullets.
also what does the number mean when holding down A and shooting at the boss?
multiplier?
The number is from scratching bullets (coming close to the bullets but obviously not getting hit). This accounts for a large part of your score. I haven't watched that video but there's probably sections of him leaving enemies alive and just barely dodging the streams of bullets, right? That's why.
in the very begining of this video it looks like he bombs the first cluster of enemys but there wasnt a bomba sound and there was some stream of color that came from the ship.
It's a Hadou gun, press and hold the bomb button and it will prepare the missile, release to fire. You don't have to hold it very long. It requires a full bomb to use. Any bullets or enemies hit with the front of the missile will turn into medals, and the stream that it leaves destroys bullets (although it does not cancel them for points, it is good for protecting yourself with. It also damages/destroys enemies that run into it.).