GD: Rajirugi Game System

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
nZero

Post by nZero »

Herr Schatten wrote:The only thing I have problems with is keeping my multiplier bar up in those sections where there are no big enemies to destroy. I haven't managed to raise it above x4 in stage one and x8 in stages 2 and 3. Is there any way to achieve this?
Use the frontal shield to milk large enemies with multiple hit areas for large green pills in the slow sections, mostly. Getting x16 by the time you reach the beginning set of ground enemies in St. 1 is pretty easy, as is going into the boss battle with x16.
Herr Schatten wrote:Does anyone have an idea about how rank works in the game? I'm pretty sure that I see certain attacks (especially on bosses) only if I perform well.
I've noticed the faster you destroy enemies, the more enemy waves appear. Also, the bosses attack patterns change and get a lot meaner after their parts are destroyed.
Herr Schatten wrote:What does the orange powerup do?
There's a yellowish orange one that comes from hitting the blue icons that raises your multiplier bar by 25% (one level). There's an orangey orange one that the powerup carrier ships drop after your shot power is maxed out that gives you a temporary frontal shield even while attacking. This can be used to get your multiplier up VERY early from St. 3 on.
Herr Schatten wrote:Is it even possible to destroy the third midboss? I've taken him down to 1/4 of his health, but he always timed out.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can "kill" him (point blank sword/shot/ABS combo makes this go quite quickly) for a good chunk of points, but he'll still run away rather than be destroyed.
Herr Schatten wrote:Any good strategy to beat the fourth midboss and the fourth boss? The latter one is really fierce.
Fourth midboss is going to involve some dodging of tight patterns, since his slash wave bullet attack is more dense. Try to go in with a full ABS, and when the pattern of rotating shots begins activate the ABS net and cut at the bits/funnels/options that are shooting to destroy them and get blue pills.

I've had some luck on the 4th boss by sitting on the antenna to destroy all of the parts rapidly, then sitting between the square areas on top of him that emit the orange pointy shots in a rotating pattern. Cut away with the sword, and start the ABS when the orange shots are about to converge on you. With a good rhythm you can keep it so you have ABS ready each time the orange shots are about to become a threat.
Herr Schatten wrote:Is there any advantage in taking apart the bosses? Score-wise I didn't notice a difference.
If you've entered the battle with a high multiplier, quickly use the antenna to destroy all of the optional parts at that multiplier. Note that this of course makes the rest of the battle much more interesting afterwards. Other than that, picking apart the bosses seems mostly for fun.
Herr Schatten wrote:On a sidenote: The damned DC pad is killing my hands.
The game works well with a stick ;)
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Thanks a lot for your replies. They clear up things more than just a bit. Time to re-think some of my strategies.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Thanks for clearing it all up for me, nZero. I am good to go. Now I just have a long wait till I can end my evening shift and go home to play it again. :( :P
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

nZero wrote:
Herr Schatten wrote:Is it even possible to destroy the third midboss? I've taken him down to 1/4 of his health, but he always timed out.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can "kill" him (point blank sword/shot/ABS combo makes this go quite quickly) for a good chunk of points, but he'll still run away rather than be destroyed.
So, what exactly is the strategy?

He doesn't seem to spit out enough destructible bullets to recharge the ABS barrier, so I can't use it a second time during the fight, if I stay at a distance. With just one use of the ABS he can't be killed. Additionally, when I go straight for his body with the sword/shot/ABS combo, he usually kills me with a circular spread of small light blue bullets which he never uses if I don't get close. Do I have to stay in a certain position relative to the midboss in order to avoid this?

I always lose my multiplier chain at the midboss, so any help would be appreciated.

Another problem I have are the large ships with the two big guns that appear in the second half of stage 3. I know where to position myself to create an impressive stream of green pills, but that can't be totally right, because I don't get enough blue pills then. Where do I have to hit those ships to get a maximum of blue pills? I know the "magic spots" for the other large enemies, but didn't find the one for these ships so far.

I'm doing well in stages 1, 2 and 4, I think, but my performance in stage 3 ist still poor.
nZero

Post by nZero »

My strategy, which is probably not the strategy, goes roughly like this:

Go into the fight with a full ABS barrier. When he appears, start shooting but move back to avoid the slash-wave attack, then move up to point blank range while waiting for him to form the options. You don't have to sit right on top of him except when ABS is active, just keep him in sword range otherwise. The bullets he shoots radially outward when you get close are easy to avoid, the important thing is just knowing they're coming ;) When the options appear, move into a position where you're doing damage to them as much as possible. As soon as they begin firing, ABS and continue attacking. After ABS wears off, you can still stay close by just moving with the pattern and using the holes the destructible bullets leave (assuming you haven't made a giant hole by destroying most of the options) to keep attacking the options and body. This should have mostly or completely refilled your ABS. Next he'll create the funnels/bits that move around. Cut them for the rest of the blue pills you need, wait for his bullet spray attack, and then use ABS again with full point blank sword/shot fury. If he doesn't die here, you can probably still easily shoot him down during his moving slash-wave attack with the damage you've been doing.

The "magic spot" on the large green ships is really high up, overlapping the main body of the ship and away from the pincers.

Again, I really wish I had some VIVO equipment, a movie is worth 10000 words :?
Alske

Post by Alske »

I gleaned the following from 2ch:

* You can turn on an option/code that lets you see how much each individual enemy you kill is worth at the time you kill them. This also tells you the total number of items that you have picked up everytime you pick another one up. Unfortunately, to get the thing working you have to leave the stupid story on: at the ship screen press A without pressing X, then during the tutorial press start without pressing X. When the game starts (after the first incoming transmissions) if you hold down X and then press start when you unpause the game the code/option will be active. For the arcade: just hold down C and press Start during the game or tutorial. I've done it in the DC version, but obviously not the arcade.

* The total number of item pickups you should have after each stage if you are going for 100% is:
1S:57
2S:153
3S:188
4S:225
5S:255+1 special makes 256

* Getting the special pickup during stage 5 requires that you have gotten approximately more that 97-98% of all previous pickups. It's the milestone logo and it appears after the midboss. Additionally, this pickup gives you 1 million points, and a full-life bar.

A good replay of stage 5 that also grabs this pickup is available here: http://page.freett.com/nilaa/

Oh, if it isn't obvious, items are the things that appear when you blow up ground targets.
gavin19

Post by gavin19 »

There's a new 1cc vid of Radilgy on SuperPlay.. Gave me a lot of pointers on how to approach the game. Plenty of use of the abs too which I hardly bothered with :roll:
a.k.a - G19
RoninBuddha

Post by RoninBuddha »

ok, when you're selecting the ship and weapons, what that thing when you press X?? there is an option of some sort.. what does it do?
KY
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

RoninBuddha wrote:ok, when you're selecting the ship and weapons, what that thing when you press X?? there is an option of some sort.. what does it do?
It turns the in-game dialogue off an on.
RoninBuddha

Post by RoninBuddha »

^hehe, thanks

anyways... i've been playng this in max speed and using the lasers, i think im doing kinda well, condiering i jsut got the game yesterday, cuz i could pull of 20million, but only up to level4, i die a lot on level 3, that robot dude who doesnt die >:(

anyways, i tried using the bubble weapon, man, my scorng seemed to have gone down, quite greatly... hehe, dunno, but yea, the bubble seemed a lot stronger..

plus, im kinda skeptical about the hitbox, how big is it exactly??
lastly, when i abuse the ABS, i get the trippy "Bangai-O" feel, maybe jsut me ehhe
KY
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

RoninBuddha wrote:plus, im kinda skeptical about the hitbox, how big is it exactly??
8x8 brown crate on top center of your suit.

It's bigger than a Treasure hitbox, but it's still small enough.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

nZero wrote:My strategy, which is probably not the strategy, goes roughly like this:

Go into the fight with a full ABS barrier. When he appears, start shooting but move back to avoid the slash-wave attack...
When he goes to slash, just move to the side and up. The slash only projects forward so the midboss will not attempt to follow you with the attack. Same thing applies for the stage 4 midboss.
Alske

Post by Alske »

Kiken wrote:
nZero wrote:My strategy, which is probably not the strategy, goes roughly like this:

Go into the fight with a full ABS barrier. When he appears, start shooting but move back to avoid the slash-wave attack...
When he goes to slash, just move to the side and up. The slash only projects forward so the midboss will not attempt to follow you with the attack. Same thing applies for the stage 4 midboss.
Well, if you're looking to take him out before he cranks out the real bad stuff you should just learn to dodge that wave. That way you can be inflicting maximum damage on him. The stage 3 miniboss is kill-able with the 1-2-3 Laser before he even pulls his bits/funnels out if you lay into him right from the start.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Alske wrote:Well, if you're looking to take him out before he cranks out the real bad stuff you should just learn to dodge that wave. That way you can be inflicting maximum damage on him. The stage 3 miniboss is kill-able with the 1-2-3 Laser before he even pulls his bits/funnels out if you lay into him right from the start.
You beat me to it. It's absolutely necessary to make your shot hit him fully all the time. Every second you don't inflict maximum damage will make him die one second later and that can mean he'll be able to pull off some of his nastier moves.

In fact that's my current problem with the fourth midboss, as it's very difficult to always have my laser on him while trying to dodge the circular spreads and waiting for the ABS to recharge. Sometimes I manage to do it, but sometimes I don't.

After reading Kiken's comment I'll try going to the sides and behind the midboss, when I can't kill him in time and he starts the nasty attacks, though. Let's see how that works.

It seems to me the fifth midboss is much easier than the fourth, no?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Herr Schatten wrote: You beat me to it. It's absolutely necessary to make your shot hit him fully all the time. Every second you don't inflict maximum damage will make him die one second later and that can mean he'll be able to pull off some of his nastier moves.

In fact that's my current problem with the fourth midboss, as it's very difficult to always have my laser on him while trying to dodge the circular spreads and waiting for the ABS to recharge. Sometimes I manage to do it, but sometimes I don't.

After reading Kiken's comment I'll try going to the sides and behind the midboss, when I can't kill him in time and he starts the nasty attacks, though. Let's see how that works.

It seems to me the fifth midboss is much easier than the fourth, no?
Well, with the stage 3 midboss, it's not so necessary.

However, with the stage 4 midboss, a quick kill is certainly preferable. For the first swipe he does shortly after appearing, if you're centered with him, back away from him slightly as he goes to swipe and then tap left or right ONCE. Now, stand still. The first spread wave should pass right by you. Then close the gap and hit the ABS just before he starts his shield unit swirl attack. You should be able to knock out a few of the shields before the ABS wears off, which makes avoiding the swirling pattern much easier. Once he's done with this pattern, you can safely avoid all of his swipes by staying next to him (just be mindful of his 6 options scattered all over the screen firing the razor blue bullets).
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

To my surprise, I got a third extend in stage 5 on my last run. Is this supposed to happen? The manual and options screen only mention the extends at 8 and 20 millions for the default extend mode.

So, do you always get a third extend at 60 milllion points or did I somehow trigger a secret one?
Alske

Post by Alske »

Yeah, I've gotten an extra life in both stage 2 and 3 that where definitely not by score. I'm not really sure what the criteria is... I think you have to be down lives, and then perform some trick but I'm not sure what.

Also, did you get the "M" in stage 5? That gives you extra health bars.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Alske wrote:Yeah, I've gotten an extra life in both stage 2 and 3 that where definitely not by score. I'm not really sure what the criteria is... I think you have to be down lives, and then perform some trick but I'm not sure what.

No, it wasn't the M. It also only refilled one health bar, not all of them. I was down on the last health bar before it happened, though, so maybe that has to do with it. Could it be that the game decides to give you a second chance if you perform well on your last life?
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Herr Schatten wrote:
Alske wrote:Yeah, I've gotten an extra life in both stage 2 and 3 that where definitely not by score. I'm not really sure what the criteria is... I think you have to be down lives, and then perform some trick but I'm not sure what.

No, it wasn't the M. It also only refilled one health bar, not all of them. I was down on the last health bar before it happened, though, so maybe that has to do with it. Could it be that the game decides to give you a second chance if you perform well on your last life?
I don't know the criteria for getting the secret 1up in any stage, other than that you must be hit at least once.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

I've gotten the secret extend in stage 3 before... right after breaking 19 million.. then about 10 seconds later I got another one for breaking 20.

It does seem to be related to how much health you have left.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Kiken, in the highscore thread, wrote:I really need to get that bonus icon in level 5 (the MileStone logo), cause I normally come out of the midboss battle with one remaining life point.
Really? I find the fifth midboss quite easy. When you give him the chance to pull out the flame-emitting options, it gets really hard, but it's not very difficult to kill him quickly before that happens.

Just before the midboss, right after the big spinning enemies, there's a bonus item carrier. Make sure it's the last enemy of this wave you destroy and pick up the orange square to get the front shield as late as possible. With the shield you don't have to worry about the midboss's slash attack and the circular spread of light blue bullets. Just close in on the midboss and point blank him while swinging your sword like mad. Back away slightly when he produces his options, because that's the point when your shield will disappear. After that, use the same strategy as with the other midbosses: When the options flash, use the ABS to close in again and slash/point blank him. What makes the fifth midboss much easier than the others is that his options don't move, so you always hit them well, which almost immediately recharges your ABS. Repeat until he dies. You don't have to dodge a single bullet if you do everything right.

One important thing to note about all midbosses is that it's necessary to stop swinging the sword if you're not near the enemy, as that will make your laser stronger (or increase the frequency of your shots if you use wide or bubble). It took me some time to find that out.

Now, I still don't get it right at the fourth midboss. I nearly always lose one life there. I just can't keep my laser on him all the time. Since I switched to a higher ship speed, dodging the tight patterns got very difficult. And I can't decide whether I should sit directly on the midboss with my ABS activated or if I should go for his options first. Does destroying the options hurt the midboss?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Herr Schatten wrote:
Kiken, in the highscore thread, wrote:I really need to get that bonus icon in level 5 (the MileStone logo), cause I normally come out of the midboss battle with one remaining life point.
Just before the midboss, right after the big spinning enemies, there's a bonus item carrier. Make sure it's the last enemy of this wave you destroy and pick up the orange square to get the front shield as late as possible. With the shield you don't have to worry about the midboss's slash attack and the circular spread of light blue bullets. Just close in on the midboss and point blank him while swinging your sword like mad. Back away slightly when he produces his options, because that's the point when your shield will disappear. After that, use the same strategy as with the other midbosses: When the options flash, use the ABS to close in again and slash/point blank him. What makes the fifth midboss much easier than the others is that his options don't move, so you always hit them well, which almost immediately recharges your ABS. Repeat until he dies. You don't have to dodge a single bullet if you do everything right.
Yes, I have watched this technique... just haven't put it to use yet.
Herr Schatten wrote: One important thing to note about all midbosses is that it's necessary to stop swinging the sword if you're not near the enemy, as that will make your laser stronger (or increase the frequency of your shots if you use wide or bubble). It took me some time to find that out.
Yes, I'm aware of that too. I actually drop to just the laser if I'm sitting back away from a boss/midboss for the added range and power.
Herr Schatten wrote: Now, I still don't get it right at the fourth midboss. I nearly always lose one life there. I just can't keep my laser on him all the time. Since I switched to a higher ship speed, dodging the tight patterns got very difficult. And I can't decide whether I should sit directly on the midboss with my ABS activated or if I should go for his options first. Does destroying the options hurt the midboss?
Ok, since I'm using ship speed 3, it's easier to dodge his first attack pattern with the options.

I get as close as I can without activating his radial burst and use both laser and sword. I follow him to the right and sit on the options waiting for them to flash white (this is when they start firing). As soon as I see the flash, I hit the ABS and stay on them for as long as possible. As the ABS finishes, I pull back to the bottom of the screen and let up on the sword button. Normally dodging the swirling pattern at this point isn't terrible since he only has 4 options (or sometimes 3). I wait for him to move to the middle of the screen before hitting the ABS (which is when the swirling pattern becomes really dense). I then point-blank him while the ABS is on, at which point I can normally taken out at least 2, if not 3, of his remaning options. I back off a bit as the ABS subsides and switch to laser alone for a brief instant as the boss begins to move to the top of the screen. At this point I will move up the left side of the screen as he calls in his six gun-options, going back to laser+sword so I can take some of them out (normally 2, possibly 3), this also means that I can easily avoid his blue-arch-shot swipe. The midboss will move to the right and begin the sequence of quick swipes as he moves to the left. At this point I get back down tot he bottom of the screen and tap right through this attack. Normally about halfway through I'll hit a full ABS, so I immediately start that and pointblank the midboss. He's normally dead after that.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Thanks for the help, Kiken.

Yesterday I realized what my main mistake with the fourth midboss was. I used to sit right on top of the midboss during my first ABS attack. This does some nice damage, but the options stay mostly unharmed. So the midboss is still pefectly shielded from my laser when he moves to the left, doing the swirling pattern.

Now I concentrate on the options during my first ABS net attack, so I can knock out a couple of them immediately. This means I can dodge his pattern more easily while at the same time inflicting much more damage. He rarely even gets a chance to pull out the searching options now. Yay.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

Herr Schatten wrote:
Now I concentrate on the options during my first ABS net attack, so I can knock out a couple of them immediately. This means I can dodge his pattern more easily while at the same time inflicting much more damage. He rarely even gets a chance to pull out the searching options now. Yay.
I'll have to try this out.
Seems like every other method I've used comes down to sheer luck.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Alske, in the highscore thread, wrote:You need to explain to me what you do that makes the fourth boss easy. ^_^
The fourth boss isn't all that difficult if you decide to ignore most of his attacks. Start the battle by positioning yourself on the left edge of the street before the boss even appears. This way you can inflict some damage at the appropriate spot when the boss rushes by the first time. When he comes back, sit right on top of the lower end of the left "tail", right next to the antenna. Point blank the thing and keep swinging your sword. Dodge the occasional stray bullet by moving up or down just slightly. After a few seconds the tail will explode. Immediately go to the right side and do the same with the other tail. Watch it closely. When it swings to the right, hit your ABS net, because the tail will emit those nasty yellow bullets. The tail should be destroyed before the ABS wears off. Now, back to the left side. Sit on top of the antenna and point blank/swing until it's destroyed. (If you keep swinging your sword none of the destructable bullets will hit you, you only have to dodge the round ones.)

Now the two rectangles in the middle of the upper part of the boss are open and start to shoot yellow bullets. The good thing is that they were opened at the same time, so the pattern is predictable. Sit in the middle between the rectangles and fire/slash. Trigger your ABS (you should have one ready from destroying the antenna) when the yellow bullets are about to hit you. You should have a fully recharged ABS meter by the time the yellow bullets come near again. If not, move up and then to one side of the screen where you can dodge the pattern easily.

This way, all you ever have to worry about are the yellow bullets. It makes the bossfight miraculously easy. Be aware, though, you probably won't kill the boss at x16 this way, but I gladly trade in a few points for a safe way to beat the boss.

The third boss is even easier. Position yourself on top of the antenna and point blank/slash. DON'T MOVE. The bullets will all miss you. When the boss moves to the left and the antenna is leaving your sword radius, hit the ABS and move on top of the antenna again. Very soon the wings of the boss will fall off. Stay on top of the antenna and keep slashing/firing until it's destroyed. (This should only take a few seconds.) Now you don't have to worry about the big yellow bullets anymore and you automatically avoid everything the boss fires forward because you sit on top of him. You only have to dodge the small enemies' bullets while shooting and slashing. Trigger the ABS net whenever it's recharged to keep the multiplier at x16. This way you finish off the third boss in very short time and with maximum bonus.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Did anyone notice that you get fewer enemies if you turn off the in-game dialogue?

With the dialogue disabled you only get the big bonus enemies which appear to fill the "gap" after you beat a midboss rather than letting him time out. With the dialogue enabled formations of standard enemies accompany them.

The regular level design is unaffected, though, the formations are exactly the same. Still, I find this kind of odd. It's almost as if the game rewards you for enduring the dialogue sequences with the opportunity to score a few more points. :)
Knuckles-chaotix
Banned User

Post by Knuckles-chaotix »

g19 wrote:There's a new 1cc vid of Radilgy on SuperPlay.. Gave me a lot of pointers on how to approach the game. Plenty of use of the abs too which I hardly bothered with :roll:
Doesnt seem to work :(

Also Whats this i heard about the milestone logo appearing and to be collected?

is this tru ? and if so how?
Burn Bush.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Knuckles-chaotix wrote:Also Whats this i heard about the milestone logo appearing and to be collected?
The Milestone logo is the last of the 256 icons you can collect in the game. (Icons are the little pictures destroyed ground targets leave.) It appears in stage 5, but only if you have collected more than 97% of the icons before. Near the end of the stage, you'll notice a seemingly empty spot in the middle of the screen where your shots just seem to disappear. Keep shooting at it and the Milestone logo will appear. It takes a lot of hits, though. You can only collect it when it's near the bottom of the screen. If you manage to snatch it, you get some bonus points and a full life refill.
Knuckles-chaotix
Banned User

k

Post by Knuckles-chaotix »

Ok thanks heaps! i cant get that far yet!
Can only get to the 3rd boss , hes bloody hard.

I only play one credit.
Burn Bush.
Herr Schatten

Re: k

Post by Herr Schatten »

Knuckles-chaotix wrote:Can only get to the 3rd boss , hes bloody hard.
The third boss is actually the easiest of the lot. You can take him down safely in a matter of seconds.

Sit right on top of his antenna and slash/point blank it. The boss will start moving to the right first. Don't move at all! The bullets will all miss you. When the boss moves to the left, activate the ABS and finish off the antenna. After that, just sit in the middle right on top of the boss and keep slashing/firing. Activate the ABS whenever too many bullets from the support ships come your way. You should be able to destroy the boss before he fires his nasty spreads of orange needle bullets.
Knuckles-chaotix wrote:I only play one credit..
So do I.