RQ: Vritra Hexa survival tips

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
John4300

RQ: Vritra Hexa survival tips

Post by John4300 »

Vritra Hexa seems rather interesting game, I've been playing it some at a local arcade. However, there is barely any information about the game online, so I am requesting tips and tricks for survival.

Few things I want to ask:

There seems to be messages about "Difficulty Update" popping up every now and then, which seems like rank gets updated every now and then. Is this related to score, so should you avoid killing enemies with charge (Which gives more score)? Is the rank issue you should even avoid?

- Weapons suggestions:
There are quite a lot of weapons in this game, any suggestions for good survival weapons? I feel like some weapons feel somewhat underpowered compared to others.

- General info:
I don't think weapons level up in this game, the 3 weapons you choose are only for changing weapons from crystals in game? You seem to have two health per life which gets restored between stages, there is probably no other power ups like shields or healing in this game?
Also, I guess the topmost route is the easiest?
Liquidus0

Re: RQ: Vritra Hexa survival tips

Post by Liquidus0 »

I like Vritra Hexa quite a lot. There is a ton of informations that the developper shared on this blog :

https://note.com/saddy575/

Google translate does a decent job with the infos if you don't have any basics of japanese.

I'll try to answer your questions with the best of my knowledge :
"- Rank:
There seems to be messages about "Difficulty Update" popping up every now and then, which seems like rank gets updated every now and then. Is this related to score, so should you avoid killing enemies with charge (Which gives more score)? Is the rank issue you should even avoid?"
Rank goes up when your rate reaches certain values. Your rate goes up by using the boost shot. It's serves as a multiplier as well when you destroy enemies. As the rank value is hidden, it is unclear by how much it goes up when you see "difficulty update" appear. The dev mentioned that one of the condition to get the TLB is to get to rank 7 during each stages. But the rate to reach vary for each stage and the "difficulty update" appears at different rate too depending on the stage. So in the end, use as little as possible your boost shot if you want to keep a low rank.
"- Weapons suggestions:
There are quite a lot of weapons in this game, any suggestions for good survival weapons? I feel like some weapons feel somewhat underpowered compared to others."
I like to use the Red for the reverse options, White for the boost shot's huge white discs and Emerald for the spread shot. I think Black look the coolest with the energy beam sabers, but I'm not good enough to make good use of them yet.
- General info:
"I don't think weapons level up in this game"
Exactly
"The 3 weapons you choose are only for changing weapons from crystals in game? "
Yes
"You seem to have two health per life which gets restored between stages, there is probably no other power ups like shields or healing in this game?"

Exactly. And there is an extend that appears after you collection 30 Weapon Items. It will bounce until you pick it up.
"Also, I guess the topmost route is the easiest?"
Apparently yes. Game says it is according to the difficulty meter when you select a stage. I think it's accurate with what I saw so far.
John4300

Re: RQ: Vritra Hexa survival tips

Post by John4300 »

Thanks much for the tips to this game!

I usually avoid weapon gems if I don't need to change weapons, but since you get an extend with gems I'll be picking up them all in the next run. I'll see if that increases rank, as well.

I'll have few more runs of the game, but honestly, I'm not too keen on the idea of not using burst weapon to control rank. It's like if you had a really fast car but you're not allowed to drive fast. It's a shame, because the game is pretty fun otherwise.

The game didn't seem to get extremely difficult even on the runs I did scoring on, but I do notice I still die a lot because this game doesn't have any kind of protection system, like a shield from Gradius/Darius or some form of invulnerable add-on like on Irem games. Maybe I'm getting old, I have noticed my reaction times/Skill have been getting lower.