RQ: Item Level drops in Dimahoo/Great Mahou Daisakusen

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
EmperorIng

RQ: Item Level drops in Dimahoo/Great Mahou Daisakusen

Post by EmperorIng »

I am messing around in Dimahoo, trying to complete item sets with Grimlen.

I know that by and large the level of your charge shot dictates what level item comes out - lvl8 charge = spawns level 8 items etc. This is at least in theory.

However a lot of the time a charge shot will spawn items of lower value. This can be seen easily when I shoot a level 8 charge shot to reveal the first pinwheel item on stage 1, killing the dragon. Lots of lvl8 helmets, foods, etc. and a bunch of lvl 6 and lower accessories, some level 1 items too.

Is there a reason or way of knowing, or controlling, what levels of items are spawned from your magic attack?
CStarFlare

Re: RQ: Item Level drops in Dimahoo/Great Mahou Daisakusen

Post by CStarFlare »

From what I can tell, the charge drains as it's shooting. So a level 8 will drop to 7, then 6, then 5 etc until the gauge is emptied and the charge shot ends.

The item level dropped depends on the current charge of the attack when the enemy is killed, not the level when it's launched. (I don't know if this is the case for special items)
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
DMC

Re: RQ: Item Level drops in Dimahoo/Great Mahou Daisakusen

Post by DMC »

Yes, watch the charge meter in the bottom left corner after you deployed the charge weapon. It stays at the current charge level for quite a while and then it quickly drains, as CStarFlare said.

Speaking of the pinwheel. I charge a level 8 there and release it just as the three goblins walk out of the shadow from the forest. Then I get the pinwheel plus almost all of the accessories at once (I typically miss level 2 but get all the other ones).