RQ: How the F do I take on the 4th stage of Ketsui?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Kiel

RQ: How the F do I take on the 4th stage of Ketsui?

Post by Kiel »

Someone please help, as soon as the enemy ships show up on screen I have to bomb or I die. What do I do? :?
Venom

Post by Venom »

I have a post somewhere in the shmup thread at n-g.com on it.

From what I remember, memorize where the large ships appear at the beginning so you don't get trapped, try start near the middle of the screen and go towards the side they're appearing from. Use laser, try to combo.

If it's anything specific I can try give advice, though Kaneda (NTSC-J ?) would be best to answer.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Until about mid-way through stage 4, the "Figure-8" isn't a bad plan. Most everything comes from the top, but you have to be really agressive. You basically have to blow the shit out of a lot of stuff before it fires. I'm no master at the game either. I think I got to the 4th stage on 1 credit once.... usually takes me another 4 at least to get to stage 5. I've not played this in a while... need to break it out.
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

Really its the first half of the stage up until the mid boss, after that I pretty much have it down.

So much stuff unloads on you in the first half that I always end up getting trapped and the laser almost seems useless and underpowered at this point which makes my comboing and scoring worthless.
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

Kiel wrote:Really its the first half of the stage up until the mid boss, after that I pretty much have it down.

So much stuff unloads on you in the first half that I always end up getting trapped and the laser almost seems useless and underpowered at this point which makes my comboing and scoring worthless.
this stage is where playing for score ends for me too. those stealth bomber-looking ships that come in sets of 3 are the worst.

though some might advise against it, i would recommend checking out IMK's replay for some ideas.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

What you want to be doing with the stealth bombers in the beginning of the stage is encroaching the small helicopter swarms that come in just before the bombers. If you rapid fire close up you'll have a good amount of 5 cubes to then concentrate laser fire on the bombers and get max cubes. It's best if you just memorize where they come in. They're easy to destroy if you just hold your laser shot and get them as they come on screen.

Remember, the easiest way to memorize is to be able to intuit how the game is balanced. If some bombers are coming in from the left, a good design eye knows that the next ones are coming in from the right.

Personally, I think stage 3 is tougher than stage 4.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

NTSC-J wrote:Personally, I think stage 3 is tougher than stage 4.
Yeah, stage 3 smokes some major pole too. I've not played a PCB in a while... this might be my inspiration though.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Okay, I popped this in last night after about 6 months. Took me along time to get back in the swing of things, but I'm getting there. I seem to have gotten better at some parrts, and worse at others.

-Stage 3 Mid boss: I always lose my lock on that big ass ship just before it starts sprarying the red & blue bullets. If I go to the bottom of the screen, it ass pounds me.

-Stage 4: I just suck in general, but more at the latter half. Those big ass things just pound me, and the litle walking guys I'm not so good at either. I got pretty good at the mid boss.

This will take me ages to get good at. A great game, but I'm realizing that playing for score comes with a serious risk. The name of this game is agression, which sucks b/c I've been playing so much ESPGaluda, which is patience... for a shmup anyway.