What is the best version of Gradius and Gradius II?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
tulipmurhilas8

What is the best version of Gradius and Gradius II?

Post by tulipmurhilas8 »

I'm assuming the arcade versions, but what is the best port version of Gradius? And Gradius II?

I'm trying to narrow down my backlog.

Thank you so much for your attention
John4300

Re: What is the best version of Gradius and Gradius II?

Post by John4300 »

For Gradius 2, I'd say arcade is probably the best. With console ports the accuracy is here and there, but they can be a bit more easier if that is what you are looking for. NES version is more of a remix and MSX is a completely different game.

For Gradius 1, things get a bit more interesting. The arcade version is actually somewhat clunky, so the console ports can be pretty good choices too. I do like the NES version, but I don't know which version other than that could be a good choice. MSX has some extra stuff, and so do some other ports (Most notably that bone stage in some ports) and I feel like some of the more "accurate" home ports actually iron out the odd engine of the arcade port. You probably want to ask someone else about this.

Gradius 1 should be somewhat easy to complete however if you have played older horizontal games before, so even the arcade version should be quite a quick clear.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Saturn and PS1 got great ports of both.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
davyK

Post by davyK »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Saturn and PS1 got great ports of both.

this.
Prickly Angler

Post by Prickly Angler »

Deluxe Pack ports are not Arcade perfect, but they are good ports for their time. Most faithfull ports are probably Arcade archives.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Deluxe Pack is a great port of both games in terms of arcade accuracy - but if you want "the best version" of those two games, don't sleep on the PC Engine versions!
Both have an extra new stage added, and a bunch of rebalancing and adjustments. Konami really put a lot of effort into their PCE ports.
PalazzoRecover

Post by PalazzoRecover »

The PC Engine version of the first Gradius is really fun overall and absolutely worth checking out - the newly added stage is great - but I couldn't call it the best version of the game just because of how annoying it makes the brain / blob enemy stage. Removing the easy out the AC version gives you for dealing with those enemies while still leaving their bullet count high makes recovery especially annoying there.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Sumez wrote:Deluxe Pack is a great port of both games in terms of arcade accuracy - but if you want "the best version" of those two games, don't sleep on the PC Engine versions!
Both have an extra new stage added, and a bunch of rebalancing and adjustments. Konami really put a lot of effort into their PCE ports.
Aside from cosmetic differences (final stage in DP has grey palette as opposed to blue in AC), the turrets in final stage won't fire single bullet at all even in hardest dips and I recall Gau's laser attack are more randomized too.
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

My only niggle with the PC Engine version of Gradius I is the copious amounts of slowdown. Way more than the arcade, but confusingly way more than you'd expect for the PC Engine too, as there is never as much happening on screen as PCE Salamander for instance, which slows down a lot less.

The PS1 ports are excellent, at least equal best to any other way to play. And Gradius I is now a core on MiSTer: the "Nemesis (ROM version)" with continues and recovery pickups after you die.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Restart_Point wrote:My only niggle with the PC Engine version of Gradius I is the copious amounts of slowdown. Way more than the arcade, but confusingly way more than you'd expect for the PC Engine too
To be fair it was Konami's first game on the system, also they're slightly late to the party (1991 release for 1987 console). They learned the lesson and then? They released few games on PCE but they're some of the most polished and system pushers:

Salamander (fixes all the hitbox issue bs in arcade, giving checkpoints with all recoverable spots)
Parodius Da! (largest official hucard game yet, rich color palletes but had to cut 2 stages sadly but it has funny new intro and extra stage)
Gradius II, Dracula X (no need to explain, you already know it)
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

copy-paster wrote:To be fair it was Konami's first game on the system
Right, i'm amazed that 1991 was Konami's first PCE game, maybe they should have got Hudson to do the port ;)
This could be a great contender for some kind of speed hack patch. That would make it the ultimate version! one can dream
Zombi 6

Post by Zombi 6 »

Gradius for me is the PCE Port. The bonus/Hi score stages and the exclusive "Bone yard" level do it for me, but I do get the gripe about the slowdown. By the way are the bonus stages in any of the other ports ?
CFO

Post by CFO »

Arcade "new" version