GD: The Usefulness of Kyukyoku Tiger Various Weapons

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
SAM

GD: The Usefulness of Kyukyoku Tiger Various Weapons

Post by SAM »

Your heli in the game got 4 type of weapons: RED, GREEN, BLUE & YELLOW.

Of which I found, I am using BLUE (Spread Shots) or RED (Wide Stright Shots) only.

In my opinion, one shuold arm your heil with the BLUE weapons if possible, while RED weapons is useful in the early part of Stage 4. :o

But I couldn't a situation where one would be more adventage in arming with the GREEN or YELLOW weapon. Is that a defeact of the design? :?

Or the GREEN/YELLOW weapons are there just to punish you pick them up mistakenly? :roll:
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
EmperorIng

Re: GD: The Usefulness of Kyukyoku Tiger Various Weapons

Post by EmperorIng »

People have apparently been calling yellow a penalty weapon since the game was out, though toaplan devs assured us that it had its uses. What those uses are, no one knows. 8)

http://shmuplations.com/toaplan-chronicleQA/
Q. How did you decide on the order the shot items would cycle through?

A. We never tested other combinations. We wanted it to start with the most standard weapon, and then cycle through the progressively more complex weapons. People thought the yellow weapon was a penalty weapon, but that was just their speculation. We programmed it to be useful in cerain places, though you can also handle those parts without it if you’re properly powered up.
Green may have some use as a boss quick-killer if you have autofire enabled, but I bet you'd want a blue spread over the laser any day.
SPM

Post by SPM »

I think Green is only useful for killing some bosses without bombs once you are powered up enough and the red weapon can't point-blank anymore (4 and especially boss 7 come to mind), but at this point you usually can rely on blue (and maybe 1 or 2 bombs) and it'd make the beginning of the next stage easier. And at low level, red is similar to green and better most of the time.

So not very useful since bombs don't give us a score bonus at the end of a stage in this game.
EmperorIng wrote:People have apparently been calling yellow a penalty weapon since the game was out, though toaplan devs assured us that it had its uses. What those uses are, no one knows.

http://shmuplations.com/toaplan-chronicleQA/
:lol: :lol: Yeah I've been thinking about this. Yellow is too weak in general but I've found some (unnecessary but fun) uses. Like dealing with the green ships that come from behind in stage 4.

That interview was a good read btw! :D
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I die almost every time I pick up a yellow by mistake lol. It can be used for a cheesy infinite scoring pattern on the final boss though.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

You can counterstop the game with yellow.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Anyone tried to do the infinite pattern on the M2 version? I'm curious how it's handled.

For example in TFIV Sega Ages they took away point values from destructible shots to prevent endless milking. In Darius Gaiden if you trigger the invincibility glitch the game detects it and you get booted of the arcade leaderboards. Did they do any anti infinite changes to the Shottrigers port of K Tiger? Just having the final boss time out would probably be the easiest solution.
Steven

Post by Steven »

You can't do the infinite score thing on M2 Kyuukyoku Tiger's final boss because they added a timer to the final boss.

There is actually a use for the yellow weapon in specific circumstances, like when those big planes show up at the bottom of the screen on stage 5. Kill one, take the yellow, shoot it in the face without having to get behind it, and then when it dies, it will drop another weapon change, letting you switch back to the blue spread shot.

I've also found it useful near the docked ships near the end of stage 3 when you have tanks coming from both sides near the bottom of the screen; being able to shoot sideways helps with those. Blue spread is still fine, but basically if you pick up the yellow from the big plane by mistake like I sometimes do, it's not a problem.