shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:46 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: GD: Chaos Field basics
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:06 am 

Someone please help. I really do want to get into this game, there's just a certain something about it that I like, but I don't understand it. At all. If anyone would at least like to start me with the basics (and I mean the basics, I don't even understand the purpose of half the weapons) it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance people :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: GD: Chaos Field basics
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:17 am 

Think of everything as a tool towards maintaining and expanding your bullet-cancel chain. Your wing layer is the main tool, for soaking up lots of bullets. Your sword is used to keep you safe while you do this, but when used offensively against multiple targets it also out-damages your main shot weapon. Finally, your lock-on attack is your emergency tool, used to rescue your chain when you don't have bullets easily available for canceling via wing layer. Sometimes lock-on is also handy for destroying multiple targets at once, but that's pretty advanced score maximization.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: GD: Chaos Field basics
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:35 am 

Also remember that the weapons that can expand the chain (lock-on and wing layer) both consume the Meta jauge (on the left side of the screen).

You use your main shot to damage the bosses, the sword can clear some bullets and also inflict good damage as explained by MathU but requires to be closer. When you destroy boss parts you can get some meta cubes that fill the jauge (stop shooting for a sec to auto-collect them) and those are required to use the lock-on and wing layer. These two weapons can erase a lot more bullets and increase the chain for each bullet cancelled (or boss part locked-on).

The Field switch mechanic allows you to change between the Order Field (light sky, normal difficulty for boss patterns, more meta cubes spawned and regular firepower for weapons) and the Chaos Field (red sky, harder difficulty for boss patterns, less meta cubes spawned and higher firepower for weapons) and depending on the situation and your resources you may want to stay in one field or the other.

In order to maintain that chain and get very high multipliers when killing each boss you have to juggle both the meta cube management and the field switch.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile