SD: ZeroRanger Single Weapon Clear (Low%) Progression Thread

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Akashic

SD: ZeroRanger Single Weapon Clear (Low%) Progression Thread

Post by Akashic »

Hey all! Here's some backstory.

I'm Akashic, and recently I fell in love with ZeroRanger. As I played through the game with all of its nuances, I noticed that special care was taken by the devs to attempt to balance the game around a single weapon clear or Low% run. (In this case meaning a run in which no power ups are obtained besides from what is required for progression) I decided after my first clear of the game casually that I wanted to focus all of my efforts into a 1CC Low%. I figured it had been done before, knowing that I was a small fish in a large pond of shmup legends, but it was a personal goal.

Fast forward to now. I finished routing my favorite level, 2-3, and posted my clear (which I myself was particularly proud of) to Youtube and found the Shmup Reddit to find those who could appreciate it. Through this, I found the shmup forum and joined, hoping to finish my 1CC and post it here for others to enjoy. It was then I realized that, to my knowledge and limited research, no recorded Low% clears of the game seem to exist, especially with the unpopular Type-C. (which was the horse I rode on) Now I'm much more determined to finish routing the clear in order to at least be the first to publish a Low% clear. (I'm still not convinced that it hasn't been done ever, but aside the point now)

So, in order to get used to using the forums, I wanted to catalogue my progress on the clear, as well as pool ideas and strategies from others in order to improve my odds of success and maybe even entice others into the challenge themselves. It's going to be a fair bit of work for 30-40 short minutes of kuso or, dare I entertain the thought, superplay goodness, and I'm excited to get it done.

MASTER POST:

Here's what's done!

Everything up to 2-4 fairly mastered.

Here's the to-dos!

Stop Choking on 2-4!

If you're here, thanks for joining me on the journey. I'll be posting updates, videos, and updating this master post as I progress. I'm planning on streaming my full attempts on twitch in the near distant future, so look forward to it.
Last edited by Akashic on Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Akashic

Re: ZeroRanger Single Weapon Clear (Low%) Progression Thread

Post by Akashic »

First post: Here's the replay I posted on Reddit that brought me here. Most of my commentary on it can be found in the video description. I've already improved on this and have a VOD ready to upload, but I wanted to place this here for posterity.

My first 2-3 1CC Low%
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJoVS_I4P_4&t=53s
Akashic

Re: ZeroRanger Single Weapon Clear (Low%) Progression Thread

Post by Akashic »

Update to 2-3. This is my current best 2-3 under Low% conditions. A blunder on double train cost me a full No-Hit clear, but the No-Hit on Grapefruit alone is extremely noteworthy. I leveraged new boss fight strats to minimize her potential to checkmate with bullets and to minimize the amount of Large Sword beams to dodge in Final phase. Plus there's a CRAZY TAS level dodge during the fight I can only attribute to a combination of knowing intimately well how Grapefruit operates and sheer crazy luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au4B_Gflxe0
M.Knight

Re: SD: ZeroRanger Single Weapon Clear (Low%) Progression Th

Post by M.Knight »

That's an interesting idea!
Did you pick Type-C simply because you were used to it even before, or are there specific bosses that match the shot-only constraint better with this ship? I also noticed that the 2-3 boss's final attack is not the same as the one I have with the Type-B, so maybe that was also an influence?

And good luck for the full run!
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Akashic

Post by Akashic »

M.Knight wrote:That's an interesting idea!
Did you pick Type-C simply because you were used to it even before, or are there specific bosses that match the shot-only constraint better with this ship? I also noticed that the 2-3 boss's final attack is not the same as the one I have with the Type-B, so maybe that was also an influence?

And good luck for the full run!
I picked Type C initially because I was used to it. When I started to watch plays of the game, I realized Type B seemed superior, but that just gave me extra incentive to finish with Type C.

The last attack in 2-3 is determined by your mech weapon equipped. I picked Sword for the easier attack to counterplay. (It's harder to dodge outright, but much easier to pour damage back into Grapefruit)
Akashic

Post by Akashic »

Today I just practiced runs from scratch with the intent of solidifying my weak areas in loop 1. I've managed to overcome my demon in Artypo, but now 1-3 ironically enough is pestering me. The Train bullets are MUCH faster during 1CC and I need to practice adjusting to it more. I never realized 1CC affected more than just the final boss. The enemies are much more aggressive and fire way more bullets. (I guess I should've realized this)

I'm also kinda worried about what effect that will have on loop 2, but the only way to improve is to practice through it.
This also means I have less to be proud of in my 2-3 routing, considering it's liable to be a different beast when I get there 1CC.

Satisfied with my progress today. I need to route the autoscroller near the end of 1-4 more to find a safe end route. Otherwise I think I have the 1CC ver. pretty solid.
Glick

Post by Glick »

Are you sure it's the fact that you're trying to 1cc thats effecting the game? There is a rank system, so some planned suicides could slow a lot of the bullets down for you.
Akashic

Post by Akashic »

Glick wrote:Are you sure it's the fact that you're trying to 1cc thats effecting the game? There is a rank system, so some planned suicides could slow a lot of the bullets down for you.
I guess I should learn more about the rank system.

BUT

Planned suicides sound like the easy way out. I'm quite enjoying the new challenge to be honest.

BUT

It's good I know it anyway. Any resources on it available?
Glick

Post by Glick »

I don't know of any resources. I tend to suicide on bosses in order to minimize the score loss. Much better to lose a second or two on a boss than to lose your chain later. As far as I can tell, there's no bonus to having lives over the max (8) when beating the final boss, so there's little reason to not strategically suicide now and then.
Akashic

Post by Akashic »

Glick wrote:I don't know of any resources. I tend to suicide on bosses in order to minimize the score loss. Much better to lose a second or two on a boss than to lose your chain later. As far as I can tell, there's no bonus to having lives over the max (8) when beating the final boss, so there's little reason to not strategically suicide now and then.
I largely need to research where rank up effects the route. For example: A flawless 1-1 results in the boss firing sets three waves of circle bullets as opposed to two during final phase. I notice some stuff in levels too, like small mobs being aggressive. Artypo has tighter grouping. The orb boss in 1-4 fires more during rapid fire. Salamander gets crazy. Trains speed up. Etc.

I've been running the route all morning, and can tell generally what I'm going to get. That said, I finally got comfortable in high rank routing and made strat adjustments that yielded some consistency. (I've proven I can no hit each section from beginning to end of 1st loop, I just have yet to do it all at once.)

That said, I finally got to 2nd loop. I let inexperience mow me down on 2-1, but the adjustments seem minor.

2-2 is the scary beast.

Last edited by Akashic on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Akashic

Post by Akashic »

I'm convinced getting to 2nd loop will be the 2nd hardest thing to do consistently in this run. 1-4 is hard with single fire. Each segment is completely liable to slip out of hand. (Esp Labyrinth)

Creating early game consistency is probably key to the whole run. The second loop shares most the strats, just involves better play. If I can get out of 1-4 with max lives I feel like I can sponge to 2-3, build up lives again, and give 2-4 legitimate shots.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Yeah, the rank in the game can alter the patterns enough to make a difference between training mode and full runs. That explains the discrepancy.

I imagine there's another thing to consider as well if you think of planned suicides and then want to rebuild lives : the stages may not be designed to be easily chainable with the forward shot only and the max multiplier will be capped at 6.4 for the whole game, which means you'll probably get extends at a lower rate than during a regular run. Of course, you'll have to experiment and see how much the difference is (if there even is one at all).

And congrats on reaching the 2nd loop this way!
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Akashic

Post by Akashic »

M.Knight wrote:Yeah, the rank in the game can alter the patterns enough to make a difference between training mode and full runs. That explains the discrepancy.

I imagine there's another thing to consider as well if you think of planned suicides and then want to rebuild lives : the stages may not be designed to be easily chainable with the forward shot only and the max multiplier will be capped at 6.4 for the whole game, which means you'll probably get extends at a lower rate than during a regular run. Of course, you'll have to experiment and see how much the difference is (if there even is one at all).

And congrats on reaching the 2nd loop this way!
Yeah. I've become familiar enough that I'm confident. Now I need to learn loop 2 on the higher ranks. (I've developed a sixth sense for where my rank is mid run)

Since I'm gunning for extends and good score, I'm just dealing with the higher rank. This is good though, because if I can become consistent, the levels will be too. "Harder" matters less than memory. Difficulty only really matters in what has to be reaction, and even then, most things in shmups are reaction aided by memory. (Ex: You know the kind of pattern and attacks the enemy will use, but how you have to dodge varies on how and when it fills the screen, but knowing helps you react faster, you don't have to process as much about where the bullets will go if you know how they operate)

As it stands, I'm not planning any suicides until 2-4. I could default to skip the bonus as the end of 1-1 and slow my rank until after Artypo, but it's early enough in the run where I can risk the harder fights and just reset if they go south. The suicide in 2-4 vs the six orbs is just basic risk reward management and doesn't have to do with rank. (I'm capable of clearing the wave with single shot, but it's so tremendously risky that it's not worth the minute it takes)
Akashic

Post by Akashic »

If anyone has it. I desperately desperately need a map of 1-4 Labyrinth. It feels like an RNG crapshoot to get through it right now. I can either no hit it or lose a perfect run to it. (Just lost 6!! lives to it now and I'm blown away)
Akashic

Post by Akashic »

Really big night in practice.

Almost no hit boss rush. (Took a silly silly hit on Space Invaders)
Made it to 2nd loop with 7 hits left. (So close to max health)
No hit Boss 2 of 2-1. (I find him simple)
Made it to 2-2 with 6 hits left. Artypo tore me up though, leaving me with ultimately one hit left for Boss 2 of 2-2. Almost no hit him though, so I'm quite comfortable.

At this point, I'm going to be streaming any attempts, since getting through 2-2 means I'm liable to clear now. I can't believe I'm already this far. One last push!

Akashic

Post by Akashic »

Short practice tonight. Did three real runs and two made it to 2-2. One died to Boss rush since I choked early. (But no hit labyrinth was NICE)

Getting really consistent. I'll get through 2-2 soon.

No hit the boss rush for good this time and finally got a consecutive no hit stage 1-1 and 1-2. Very close to having max health at some point.

Also made a fun layout for my stream for low%. The font is more legible on the actual broadcast. It is a minimalist layout that's informative but doesn't draw away from the game itself. The record section scrolls to loop 2.

(I deleted the image for reasons :P)
Last edited by Akashic on Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Akashic

Post by Akashic »

Been a minute since an update.

Tonight I messed around with Type-B out of exhaustion. Just needed to change things up a bit. I had indulged a few runs here and there with it before, but spent my whole night focused on it. It makes certain sections much easier, but others harder. Ex: Artypo 2-2 is way easier with C as opposed to B, since you can pot shot behind the shield without ticking it off. However Boss 2 of 2-2 is much easier to dps and defend with B.

That being said, Type B makes most of loop 1 trivial, rendering some of the longer fights shorter and being able to salvage more lives in general. I've made it out of loop 1 with max lives on both, but with B it feels like I should more often than not.

With B, I finally cleared 2-2 and arrived to 2-3. As expected, it's a whole new beast. Double train is far more ridiculous and Grapefruit fires much longer streams, making dodging incredibly more precise than it as before. It's only small adjustments I'll need to make, so I'm confident that it won't hold me there long. The question is whether I can get a nice 2-2. I can get through the hell of the stage fine, but Artypo, esp on B, neuters me before Boss 2-2 tries to finish me off. I made it there with 5 lives once and blew it on Boss 1, since for some reason I seem to struggle when I get to him. (Nerves I'm guessing, he's still simple)

Beat 2-2 boss 2 with only 1 hit. Can be no hit for sure. I'm curious about the validity of timing him out, but the Boss defeat bonus is REALLY good on that stage, don't want to pass it up.

So I'm finally a step closer. I'll resume with Type C later, hoping what I learned can be applied well. It's much harder overall, but will pay off in 2-2 and Grapefruit. Ultimately, I'd like to post clears with both.

Here's the scoreboard for tonight.

Akashic

Post by Akashic »

I'm literally at the finish line, I'm pushing with Type B. C isn't far behind.

No damage 2-2 Bosses. One hit Artypo, 2-3 Stage, and ZeroRanger to enter 2-4 with 5 hits left.

Took the planned suicide on orbs without other damage, but a poor pattern on Despair ended me early. (She got stuck at the bottom and spammed hands)

I can taste the end of this effort, my runs had become lifeless, faced with a high hit count 2-3, I was able to push through.

The final boss isn't that much harder than before. I overestimated how much faster she'd get. The big sword bombs on ZeroRanger have also become an easy dodge. I'm honing in on the skills needed to finish.

I think I'll have a full run 1CC in two weeks.

This screencap hurts my heart to look at, but it is bittersweet.

Akashic

Post by Akashic »

This still lives. I've been busy, but doing runs to stay fresh. Was messing around when I had a friend over and wasn't recording of course when I made it back to 2-4.

I lost, but I realized I'm gunning for the 1CC, but haven't finished the category with continues, so I went ahead and sank Primal Fighter and watched the credits. (She tore through me a bit though, I really need to learn how to manipulate her better)

I can no hit every section in the game now. Outside 2-4, my tactics are more than adequate for both style and survival. It's a matter of getting a long enough sitdown now to play fresh and clear.

Here's the clear screen with continues. Still a nice accomplishment all things considered, but much more is within reach.

Akashic

Post by Akashic »

Three years later and I'm back. I had regretted not clutching this for a long time, and so I decided to forsake a lot of responsibilities and self care on a particular week to try and see if I could make the miracle happen. Seven days later, I had my first clear. Another week, 2 more in the same day, one good enough to upload. I could go on a rant about how much changed about myself and my confidence, which translated into my gameplay, but I can let the video do the heavy lifting. I played for a high score, got a great rank for the category, never tanked my difficulty seed for easier fights, and played really well with only 17 hits. My original clear was 28, second was 21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D-T_GK9iSI

Notes
Should've reset on 1-2 bonus miss, but decided it would be funny. Wasn't expecting that to be the run, whoops.
1-3 and 2-3 were silly space out hits to trains. 2-3 had a great recovery doing improv at the top of the screen instead of risking catching up to my missed tempo.
1-4 first screen *is* random, so I do take that hit very rarely. Sad about it though. Orbs also was my b, it was a very unusually aggressive pattern.
2-2 boss is scripted movement I erred on. The spinning bullets can create a lot of checkmates in mid screen, so I rely on the movement I mapped out. It's tight and aggressive though, so it can backfire.
Grapefruit played her heart out. I didn't get upset because it looked like a cool fight. 3 hits does suck. I liked my movement on sword beams apart from my first hit. Very tight.
Perfect Descent, awesome orbs. Orbs is really cool when I nail it. Great Oppressor/Primal Fighter was as she tends to be. Average fight, that's all I can ask for.
Escape was bad, I need more exp. These 3 runs are my only 1CCs actually, I never bothered to 1CC with powers because it wasn't what I wanted. So I just don't know my outs. Still only 4 hits.

17 hits. It's no super play, but I still stand by it being some damn good play.

Anyway, enjoy. I might come back for the Type C in the future.

Nahar

Post by Nahar »

Go on. ZeroRanger is such a good game. I'm still trying to get a regular 1CC Clear, so I can't imagine beating it without type swapping or using the rest of the weaponry hahaha.
Akashic

Post by Akashic »

Nahar wrote:Go on. ZeroRanger is such a good game. I'm still trying to get a regular 1CC Clear, so I can't imagine beating it without type swapping or using the rest of the weaponry hahaha.
Honestly it's been quite a fun grind. You don't get to reach the highest difficulty seeds unfortunately, but it winds up being a pretty well balanced experience.

If modding ever takes off I'd love to play through it locked on the highest dynamic difficulty increase. I think I still maintained a respectable seed throughout the run, as watching other score attack videos there are hardly any fights that look like they have different harder patterns. (2-1 is the big one that seems to slack off during my run)