RQ: Saidaioujou building hyper and recharging

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
pmp

RQ: Saidaioujou building hyper and recharging

Post by pmp »

There are a few challenges in SDOJ which require building a hyper and then recharging off the midboss. I am having trouble both consistently building the hyper and getting a full recharge.

Any tips for:
1) quickly building a hyper
2) recharging
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Re: RQ: Saidaioujou building hyper and recharging

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

If memory serves, quickly building hyper is all about point-blanking enemies and keeping your chain going (the second part is fairly trivial). Recharging during a hyper is dependent on your situation (again if memory serves). If there are specific areas you're asking about it might be best to give examples.
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

you get big stars for killing enemies with the hyper gauge maxed out (this is basically irrelevant in the actual game) and your hyper charges faster the higher your hit count is (caps at 5k IIRC)
same goes for bees, higher hit count=higher charge with a cap (and a full level for the last bee in a stage)

recharging is nothing but knowing when to hyper, knowing when to point blank and when to back off and what hyper level you need to have and adjust accordingly
the actual timing is really easy once you figure that out, you just need to kill the midboss or any cancel enemy with a lot of bullets on screen
helps to switch to shot right after killing the enemy sometimes if you need to delay picking up the items a bit and hold down laser again once your hyper turns off
pmp

Post by pmp »

So I have gotten a hyper off the stage 1 midboss a few times now but I still fail the challenge (#31). Is there a specific timing you need for it to count?
edit: Maybe I am supposed to build an entire bar off of just the midboss? I'm only getting like 60% off of it. Should I be killing it during the slowdown as the hyper ends?
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

get a hyper before the midboss, use it, make sure you kill the midboss just as your hyper runs out so the big stars recharge the hyper
try using laser instead of shot (or even expert), I believe it charges hyper faster
pmp

Post by pmp »

Nice I got it thanks for the help.