RQ: Batsugun Stage 2 boss bombless

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
pmp

RQ: Batsugun Stage 2 boss bombless

Post by pmp »

Is there a way to consistently do the stage 2 boss in Batsugun (original) without bombs? On the second phase of the boss I often get forced into the sides of the screen without there being any gap to get out. It feels like there should be some way to manipulate the boss to create an opening but I can't figure it out.
Shepardus

Re: RQ: Batsugun Stage 2 boss bombless

Post by Shepardus »

I'm pretty sure that boss is just strangely hard, and bombing is your best bet if you're not comfortable simply dodging it. I will advise that, as with many bullet patterns, you want to be proactive about squeezing through gaps sooner rather than later to avoid getting trapped as you said. At least in the Special version you can tank a hit with the shield and have a smaller hitbox.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
pmp

Post by pmp »

Ya, the dodging is doable when there is a gap, its just that there often isn't. The boss sweeps all the way to the left/right side without ever leaving a spot to get out. Sometimes I get a hole from cutbacks, but it seems very inconsistent. I also need to be right below the boss to hit it with the type 2, which really limits where you can go while still hitting the boss.

Edit: Well I figured it out after practicing a bit more today. You just stay low on the screen and do a quick cut early at about 1/4 from the edge of the screen and then pass through back to the middle. You just can't follow the boss to closely on either side or you get trapped.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I find that it creates more openings by getting close to the boss (around mid-screen).

But unless you're trying to milk points, I'd just bomb. You should only be using bombs again in stage 3 for milking the pig, so if you use two or three there and one on Madzella, you should still have max bombs by the time you get to Jupiter.
pmp

Post by pmp »

That's a good point. I'm hoarding bombs more than necessary here.
DialKnight

Post by DialKnight »

Always found zig zag cutting to work well at making holes in its defense. While slowly following the boss and moving forward for the lunge attack. I try to save bombs for the Jupiter fight in stage 4. Hope it helps.
rivals

Post by rivals »

I believe this is what you're looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_v0Fity8Xk
ave

Post by ave »

This always worked for me:

- be fairly close to be boss
- follow it from right to left/vice versa by moving away ever so slightly from the stream of bullets next to you
- when you enter the left/right third of the screen, move all the way there and cut through the created gap in the bullet stream

repeat

If you're fully powered up and close enough to the boss, you can even beat it before having to cut through the stream.
THE ETERNAL
GeekMan1222

Post by GeekMan1222 »

Theres alot of "faking out" or misdirecting the bullets to get the best opportunities to cut through. I find staying fairly close and kinda following the boss / tap dodging with it really helps, but you have to get aggressive some times.