RQ: Sonic Wings 2 - getting killed intentionally

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
wasilewski

RQ: Sonic Wings 2 - getting killed intentionally

Post by wasilewski »

I've seen a lot of high scoring replays of Sonic Wings 2 and most of the players let themselves get killed by the first wave of enemies and I'm wondering what the point in this is?
Perikles

Re: RQ: Sonic Wings 2 - getting killed intentionally

Post by Perikles »

If you lose a life, you'll drop a power-up and a bomb which effectively results into 12,000 points by gaining another surplus bonus for power-ups & bombs, respectively. Since there is no inherent benefit in finishing both loops with all lives and a death somewhere in the middle of the second loop usually ends your run altogether, you may as well sacrifice one life for a few extra points.
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

Perikles wrote:If you lose a life, you'll drop a power-up and a bomb which effectively results into 12,000 points by gaining another surplus bonus for power-ups & bombs, respectively. Since there is no inherent benefit in finishing both loops with all lives and a death somewhere in the middle of the second loop usually ends your run altogether, you may as well sacrifice one life for a few extra points.

Ahh I see, thank you!!!
qmish

Post by qmish »

but isnt SW2 also a game where too many powerups make things bad and not worth it?
Mero

Post by Mero »

Not really.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

qmish wrote:but isnt SW2 also a game where too many powerups make things bad and not worth it?
Not bad, remember that bonus stage? I played Sonic Wings 2. It was good. You don't need to lose a life intentionally. Don't be an idiot.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

You do if you are trying to get the WR.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

qmish wrote:but isnt SW2 also a game where too many powerups make things bad and not worth it?
I don't think SW1 and the early Psikyo games, or SW2 and 3, have this... I'm pretty sure this was introduced in Strikers 1, alongside the max powerup no longer being timed. Even then, you still get a lot of points by staying at max power as long as you can.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Despatche wrote:
I don't think SW1 and the early Psikyo games, or SW2 and 3, have this... I'm pretty sure this was introduced in Strikers 1, alongside the max powerup no longer being timed. Even then, you still get a lot of points by staying at max power as long as you can.
OT, but you also want to be fully powered up in Strikers 1945 the whole time.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube