RQ: Blazing Star 1st Level High Score Tatics

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
wasilewski

RQ: Blazing Star 1st Level High Score Tatics

Post by wasilewski »

I noticed on the superplay video here that the player is able to make a pile of bonus jewels appear and I'm wondering if anyone could tell me how to do this? I can't figure it out!

Sumez

Re: RQ: Blazing Star 1st Level High Score Tatics

Post by Sumez »

I assume you're talking about the powerup jewels (which he uses to increase rank).
For it to appear you need pick up an event item (the balls with wings) and not press the fire button while you have it active (but you can still hold a charge), you can see him doing that near the wrecked ship in the background.
If you do that, the next event item will be "special" and cause all enemies to drop powerups. So he makes sure to pop that while all the little enemies escape from the ground for maximum rank, which helps him get a few more bonus medals from the boss (and a lot more further on in the game).

If you're going specficially for a high stage 1 score you might also want to think about the order you kill enemies. Every 5th enemy or so drops a bonus medal, but not all of them can drop it (but still count up), so if the one that should have dropped it can't drop medals, that one is just skipped, "wasting" all five kills. An example is the purple formations that drop letters, so near the beginning of the stage you can leave some of those alive, kill another zako, and then kill the purple ships that you spared, for a few extra medals. It evens out throughout the game, but for just stage 1 it can make a noticeable difference.
wasilewski

Re: RQ: Blazing Star 1st Level High Score Tatics

Post by wasilewski »

Sumez wrote:I assume you're talking about the powerup jewels (which he uses to increase rank).
For it to appear you need pick up an event item (the balls with wings) and not press the fire button while you have it active (but you can still hold a charge), you can see him doing that near the wrecked ship in the background.
If you do that, the next event item will be "special" and cause all enemies to drop powerups. So he makes sure to pop that while all the little enemies escape from the ground for maximum rank, which helps him get a few more bonus medals from the boss (and a lot more further on in the game).

If you're going specficially for a high stage 1 score you might also want to think about the order you kill enemies. Every 5th enemy or so drops a bonus medal, but not all of them can drop it (but still count up), so if the one that should have dropped it can't drop medals, that one is just skipped, "wasting" all five kills. An example is the purple formations that drop letters, so near the beginning of the stage you can leave some of those alive, kill another zako, and then kill the purple ships that you spared, for a few extra medals. It evens out throughout the game, but for just stage 1 it can make a noticeable difference.
Thank you so much!

I am going for a high score on stage 1 as I'm playing Caravan Mode on Switch. :-)